Modding Discussion Ore Farming mod discussion thread

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bloo808, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

This is a discussion for my mod "Ore Farming" for people who have requests for things they want added or changed, and general discussion on the changes/additions as well as discussion about requests people have made. This is made for people who are interested in being a part of the planning process of the mod and/or people who want to help with actual development such as adding patches for other mods, or helping me with a new addition or even a new mod if that comes up.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. crazygreggy

crazygreggy Phantasmal Quasar

Ore farming has become such a part of my Starbound playing that I forget its a mod . I HAVE to have it loaded . That being said , what would I like to see added or altered ? It's a bit of an ask but a new graphic set for each tier of plants . So that there is a way to tell at a glance what you've grown . Also having rare occurrences of higher tiered plants in the wild . I like the concept of coal/iron hybrids producing one or the other ore at low levels , both in increasing numbers at higher levels . Also , an idea - this could be a way to generate alloys by breeding say copper and silver to get red gold or silver and gold for white gold/electrum . This then begs the question : do you want to start making new materials and recipes that utilize them ? So far , it's just been a way to regulate how much ore a player can produce without mining . I guess making new materials is a logical next step but only if that's the direction you feel the mod can go in .
    Perhaps an IndustrialBound patch with plants for their ores ( tin etc ) . If I think of more I'll jot it down here . Cheers .

3. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

Yeah I would have liked to make a better notion of which tier is which when they're planted, and thats when I came up with the lights, but the problem is that if there are multiple light sources near each other, they interfere and its hard to see them/the difference between them. I just didn't know how I would go about changing them. I deleted the wild seed files for the higher tiers so it shouldn't be possible, but if you're having that happen then i guess it is, so i'll take a look. I could definitely make new materials and recipes, but I'd probably release it as a different mod. And the alloy idea is really good, I didn't think of that. I'm also trying to move the conversation about ideas to a new thread so this one doesn't get clustered, and it's also a way for me to keep everything organised, If you could post there(here), it would be a great help.

EDIT: Oh i see you already have. LOL well carry on then.
    EDIT 2: I just realized i'm not on the mod discussion thread. Wow ok looks like i'm a little confused. Sorry about that

4. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

So the general ideas for further discussion as of right now are as follows:

1. Change the farm console sprite from saying "FARM" to something less stupid sounding, but my predicament is that only 4 letters can fit...
    2. Adding some sort of gigantic puzzle that hopefully would take hours to solve, much like the lore in Dark Souls (Where none of the story is told to you, including your own and the only way to figure out what happened/is happening is to scrap together all the tiiinnyy pieces of the puzzle that you gather through npc dialogue, item descriptions, and plain old deductive reasoning. By the way, after a couple years, the lore is still foggy at best.). The reward (undecided) would be something that I haven't decided should seem insignificant or not, but the way to use it properly and to it's full advantage would be unclear and could be seen as part of the puzzle itself. Figuring out how to use it properly would benefit the user greatly, but would otherwise be almost useless. Almost.
    3. Adding some sort of hybrid plants that have a mix of 2 (or a possibly greater number) of ores. The drops would allow you to get one of the mixed ores, but not 2 or more of the differing ores. This could be another way of making alloys so coal + rubium for example would give you rubium, coal, or impervium.
      • BONUS: This would open doors to create custom alloys too (and maybe a mod that utilizes them), and I suspect that would be a really awesome compatibility for different mods.

5. crazygreggy

LOL ! I take it it's late night for you ? Ok , the alloy idea could actually absorb your Transmutation mod and be a way to alter ores from higher grade tiers to lower as well as making alloys .

6. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

LOL yeah its like 2 in the morning and I have school tomorrow so I should actually sleep, but I'll just post a link to this thread on the mod overview so that some other people find it as well, and then I'll be done for the day/night/morning.

7. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

I like that idea, however, I am unsure if you mean things like plants producing steel components (or durasteel etc.), or something else. What do you mean?

8. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

I don't know exactly what he means, but I was thinking of having a drop that you can craft into, say, iron or coal, OR you could go straight to smelting it and make steel.

9. crazygreggy

This ( my underlining ) would wok just as well . I was thinking of something else but making the hybrid drop coal plus ( whatever metal ) that produces ferocium , violacium , impervium etc is a great idea and fits in better .

10. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

Well I was actually planning on making it drop some sort of other material that you would use to make either coal or the other metal, but not both at the same time. The alternative would be just smelting it right after picking it up to get the alloy. So 1 material, 3 different uses. I just thought that would be interesting.

11. crazygreggy

In which case , I guess , making steel , duralinium , ferocium , violacium and impervium berries that would be used to smelt to their bars . Make them use a larger number of berries to make an ingot than for the current metals . 6 or 8 . Otherwise it will be a short-cut/exploit to getting those materials . It IS an interesting idea and one that fits well with what you've already got in place .

12. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

Yeah but it'll take a while. Well, maybe not the alloy parts, but I was planning on making plants with every combination of metals (which is like 84 btw) so that will take A LOT of time. I'll probably update it with sets at a time. So coal + everything, then copper + everything, etc until all of them are complete

13. crazygreggy

Woo . That's ambitious . Honestly , unless you are planning on taking it further , my inclination would be to just do the coal combo's as that will generate the alloyed metals currently in game .

14. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

Think it'd be possible to have this work with the Mass Effect mod? finding Eezo is a pain in the ass, and it'd be nice to farm it! Same goes with some of the other Mass Effect stuff....

15. Spatial_Pioneer

Spatial_Pioneer Void-Bound Voyager

In response to @Bloo 's idea I would just be hesitant about being too vague; people will probably just flood the forums with questions or worse just uninstall it and label it broken. There needs to be at least some sort of "you're on your own" message. That kind of gameplay is great- but in it's own setting

16. bloo808

bloo808 Big Damn Hero

Yeah I would hope that people would assume they're on their own... but telling them that is a good idea. Either way, I don't think I'm going to be working on the mod anymore other than updating it and fixing bugs. I might add some small things but I just don't have the time anymore to make big changes.

17. Spatial_Pioneer

Spatial_Pioneer Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest I don't think it's that far from finished. It's a simple mod that does what it should. I just wish there was an easier way to get to tier 4 ores. Like a backdoor recipe that is not easily found, but easier than the level grinding