1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

On a scale to 1 - (your choice), how much do you like Starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Scorch_62575, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

What mysterious name change? What's going on!? :eek:
    DID THE ILLUMINATI FIND US!?

2. I've been directed to inform you that there is no Illuminati :coffee:

Now, on a scale from 1-(10), my ranking is 6.5. I like Starbound. But I want more farming and crop focused things.

3. Feathery Dust

That's what they want us to think! :cautious:

Izzabelle likes this.
  4. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

there is no name change there is no cover up these are notthe droids you are after >waves hand useing jedi mind trick<

5. Drakearth

Drakearth Phantasmal Quasar

I will rate it a -1/10

6. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

As others have stated, I think it's rather unfair to the game to really rate it based on what it is right now. I haven't played it since the last update and I probably won't touch it until the next one is here. That said, (I'm guessing 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest) the game deserves 4.5 in my opinion. The gameplay is repetitive, combat is boring, progression is just "Get to the next tier, have an annoying time getting the armor, weapons and materials needed for bosses, rinse and repeat". Buuuuuut, those are being addressed with this next update and the devs have been very good at telling us about it. Once it's out, I can see it being a 7-8. Maybe I'll be surprised and it'll be higher, I can't really judge considering I can't even run the nightlies. There's probably plenty of additions I've forgotten about and maybe it's best I keep it that way, just to discover things.

TL;DR: It's just too early to judge it now, but what Stable has currently, it needs far, far more work. Which is happening. The next stable build will probably boost my opinion of the game itself.

7. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

I would rate the current stable build probably a 5/10.
    It shows potential but it still needs a lot of work.

8. Ritual

Ritual Orbital Explorer

I would rate the game a 4 out of 10. The soundtrack is great. The development is slow. The game is hard to judge because of how slowly it is developing and how much the game is missing.

I think Starbound unfortunatly is one of those Kickstarter things where the developers basically were underqualified or ran off with the money. Or they are developing it as sort of a casual hobby to their everyday lives.

I will be back in 4 months to check on the game again. Almost wrote this game off though.

9. ValentineVxx

ValentineVxx Orbital Explorer

I give it an Affirmatory from a scale of 1 to Yes dood

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    ReverendBonobo likes this.
  10. Archrandom

Archrandom Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd give the game a 3 in its stable branch, it's pretty much a basic sand box released as a demonstration and should be treated as such..

The 'General Discussion' section of this forum tho I'd give a 7, this place entertains me almost to no end. :coffee:

11. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

Stable: 4/10
    Stable doesn't actually bring anything new to the table, other than a few gimmicks.
    Daily: 1/10
    No reason to even touch it, the Devs don't actually want us to test anything in the dailies since it's nothing but an idea demo.

Dbr0wn and Morsus98 like this.
  12. Morsus98

Morsus98 Industrial Terraformer

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 4.

13. The Phantom Lemon

The Phantom Lemon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a solid 2 as a matter of personal preference, and a hesitant 4 from a more objective standpoint.

14. tehPhunnee

tehPhunnee Title Not Found

Immediately after I bought the game I was having so much fun. I initially gave it an 8..but then development came to a dead stop..not to mention some questionable public statements..I'm sure some people here know exactly what I'm talking about..no need to dwell on it too much.

I haven't touched the game since around January 2014..if they decide to charge for future content beyond 1.0..that'll be the final nail on the coffin for me.

15. Feathery Dust

There's no way they're going to charge more, according to Tiy they have enough money to fund Starbound development for 9 years, so there's no way that's gonna happen.
    I assume it'll work like Terraria did, free updates.

16. Flantomas

Flantomas Tentacle Wrangler

Drakearth likes this.
  17. makraiz

makraiz Aquatic Astronaut

Over -9000. I will never purchase another Chucklefish product.

Drakearth likes this.
  18. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

From 1 to Spaceship, I'd say... bananas.

I like bananas :iswydt:

ValentineVxx, Akado and Feathery Dust like this.
  19. On a side note im enjoying the fact that many of the people here giving bad "ratings" are regulars here... why is it that the people who hate this game so much spend so much time on these forums...

20. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

I think some are joke posts and some, such as my case, are judging the game purely on what it is currently, not on what it could/can eventually be. I personally find the combat dull and the progression is slow and painstaking. It doesn't mean I didn't have fun with it, I enjoyed it a lot, especially with friends. I've always stood by the belief that criticism =/= hate, if anything, criticism done right can help a game grow, which is happening. The devs have taken a lot of ideas and worked with them. Who knows if we'd have a way to move liquids or have a better Matter Manipulator if it wasn't something the community wanted.

While I don't love the game as it currently is, I check the forums to see what's going on, I like seeing the community get together. It's like the appeal to Minecraft (I somehow can't write a post without bringing up that game and I feel awful about it). The community, besides the few trolls on either forums that want to instigate aggression and arguments, seems pretty chill to me. That's why I think people return here even if they don't love the game, or at least, that's just me. But I'd bet that I'm not the only one who feels that way.