1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

On a scale to 1 - (your choice), how much do you like Starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Scorch_62575, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

2. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No way does it deserve spiderwhale out of ten. How much are Chucklefish paying you, you stooge?

3. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Excuse me, it's a spermhornet out of 10!

Lintton and Feathery Dust like this.
  4. Drakearth

Drakearth Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe they are keeping tabs on why not to preorder a game. Some probably felt like they have been burned because they bought the game believing the roadmap was the true amount of progress shown.
    I think the bolded is quite hilarious.
    Im here to watch starbound slowly turn from a sandbox game to its intended form the pointless grindfest game.

5. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

Well, whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

6. ragingchaos

ragingchaos Orbital Explorer

So I played through Starbound once a while ago then I didn't touch it for a while because it is kind of empty after the jelly boss.
    so as far as that goes 7/10 because until after the jelly boss there is an incentive other than sandboxing. (yes you could grind out the impervium gear but why bother? you already did that for all of the other tiers.) Don't get me wrong I like sandbox games but starbound's sandbox depth is pretty low.

however recently I started playing again, but with mods. especially a few that encourage exploration (a couple mods that add more dungeons) and not grinding through tiers by skimming planet surfaces(arcane add on mod, seriously though, diamond on a tier one planet?!(not not necessary but a major bonus to progressing in the mod, but I digress)).
    now with the mods... 9.9/10
    the community has done some cool stuff with starbound.

7. Tarsen

Tarsen Void-Bound Voyager

about...5/10 in the current stable version.

nightly as recent as of today is about 4/10. i like the increased performance but things like avalanches destroying ore and all ore + a percentage of your pixels dropping on death are changes i sincerely hope dont make it into the next stable release.
    i also noticed that after about 10 minutes of digging up silver ore none of it was in my inventory, and if thats because of the pickaxe i was using (the starter tier pickaxe), i will probably go spare and knock 2 points off that already low score. kinda would prefer it if they just dont let you mine ore your pickaxe isnt good enough for, rather than destroy it.

8. crob

crob Orbital Explorer

1 out of 10. It was a redo of the Terraria structure and tier system in a new engine to appease fans as they had promised a working version by now. Now we have no patch or updates for months and months just a bunch of promises and nightly builds that are a buggy mess. Basically, there is no working version of the game as its intended to be, so rating it now isn't exactly fair but neither was taking people's money, promising a working version based on the intended final version and months later we still see you do not know where you are taking this game or what direction as you are still figuring out what your engine can even do...

KeesDeNeger and Nimeni like this.
  9. Dreynguid

Dreynguid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

From -1 to 1 I'd say sin(x*(i^x)) where x equals the number of NPCs I've seen being killed by another than me (including pinguins and monsters) divided by the number of living beings (including pinguins and NPCs) I lobotomized to get a superior brain... Damnit! I knew I should have made a count :/

More seriously, I will just say "a good rate" for some reasons :
    - I don't care of the speed development. I just know it's allways long.
    3 years ago I bought project zomboid in its alpha stage, then I waited and enjoyed to see how it evolved. It's still in development and it has changed a lot. I just, sometimes, have look at how it goes. And it goes well.
    An other game I bought recently is Overgrowth, in development since 6 years. And I don't think this game will be finished soon ! So why did I bought it ? Just because I admired a lot what has been done.
    And for starbound, I don't know when it has been announced, and don't remember when began the pre-order, but the release isn't very old yet (9~ 10 month). And the news are usually quite exciting.
    I don't remember in wich news I saw this saying/law, something like : "[insert name]'s law says : a project development allways takes much time than expected, even if we consider [insert name]'s law."
    Maybe I'm naturally patient, waiting for a game development never annoyes me.

- What I like the most in starbound probably is his world. I loved Starbound before his release because of the differents races (and because I loved terraria too). I loved seeing every art-works and fan-arts (it made me want to draw). And recently, I enjoyed reading every codex of the game (except the airship because I've never found it yet). I was bored to find them all, so I picked them up from game's files. The forum also is great to follow.
    Maybe it makes me not objective toward the game ^^'

- And the game itself : well I allways enjoy visiting planets and buildings. I don't really expect a lot on fights yet, but invading a base or castle is quite fun. It has just never really desappointed me.

- And finally, I'd put a "good rate" allmost because I expect a lot from Starbound in a long term.

Now, let's start a count... huhu.

Tamorr likes this.
  10. sephrioth

sephrioth Industrial Terraformer

well at the time it was released and they made updates it was 100/10.. but now when i see the lag on updates for us its more like 1/10 :cause they broke almost everything they said when this game hit early acces for example that their will be updates...

11. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

On a scale of 1 to n:
    I give it an [(n-1)^2] / [n]

Akado likes this.
  12. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Are you saying that Starbound will only get better with time, as N approaches infinity?

13. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well it doesn't converge, so sure.

14. BlueFlux

BlueFlux Guest

It has been a while since I played Starbound, maybe not since a month or 2 since the beta first started.
    But I will give the verdict out of 100
    10 - I would rather play Bubsy 3D
    50 - Meh. If I get desperate
    100 - Hang on, I'm to busy playing StarBound to answer you right now.
    I'd give it maybe a 65. It just doesn't hook me like some games do. My current obsession is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Tamorr likes this.
  15. RoughDraftPony

RoughDraftPony Subatomic Cosmonaut

On a scale of 1-Sylveon, I rate it Trubbish. A pile of trash that can occasionally be cute, but is destined to either die off, or become a bigger, less cute pile of trash.

makraiz and blazeti like this.
  16. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

6/10
    Pros:
    - Fun gameplay
    - Nice visuals
    - Great 'moddability'
    Cons:
    - Lack of settings
    - Bad Progression and Short
    - Slow updates

MrHiggle likes this.
  17. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Uhhh, as of now? Probably a 0.1

makraiz likes this.
  18. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Since i'm playing the nightlies i'll give a 8/10 but my final decision will be made when starbound is 1.0 ^^

19. AkuTenshiiZero

AkuTenshiiZero Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm going to be generous and withhold my rating until I have a finished game to play. If I were to give a rating now, it would be a 0.

This game has been a huge disappointment and was sold on hype. I haven't touched the game since I "finished" it shortly after "release." I can't imagine that enough of it has changed to alter my opinion: It's short, planets are boring and same-y, the crafting system is horribly shallow, crafted weapons are trash and again lacking variety beyond raw numbers, combat is brainless and again lacking variety, mobs are (guess what's coming?) lacking variety in behavior and abilities, towns and dungeons feel empty and pointless, overall the entire experience left a horrid taste. Not only is it still not finished almost a year later, but what I've played was so incredibly dull and lacking anything on the box that I don't want anything to do with it. I was excited with the game for about an hour before I realized I had already seen all the excitement the game had to offer, and I'd just be repeating the same process of gather ores > craft armor > gather ores > craft boss item > go to new sector > repeat.

And what makes this even worse is that nothing I see coming out of CF suggests that the game will ever be the game I paid for. It will not be the game they promoted on Kickstarter. Maybe, someday, it will still be a good game, but right now it's just the biggest disappointment of a game I've ever laid hands on. You might understand now why I'm so bitter about this game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm expecting Izzabelle to slap me with another warning for "losing my cool" or "being a jerk" or some other such subjective nonsense.

makraiz likes this.
  20. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You should definitely try the nightlies to see with your own eyes what will change with the next big update. (and this will get really big)