Melee mechanics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Drithyl, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

So I did a quick search to see if there was a thread about this idea, couldn't find any, so here it goes. I'd like to see some complex melee mechanics, not just a continuous swinging of the weapon in one direction. Here're my ideas so far:

- Combos. Like, if you click three times, the weapon in question does a series of three different attacks. This would be based on the type of weapon (spears would have their own combo, axes a different one, etc...).

- Two-button system. Expanding on the previous idea, a right-click could make a powerful yet slow blow, and if used with combos (for example, two left-clicks and one right), the ending of the combo would be different.

- Parrying/defending of some type. Instead of powerful right-click blows, the button could be used to parry, and used to end combos in a different way when clicking right after other blows.

- In the hand-to-hand thread they mentioned grabbing and throwing, and that would also be great. Having a button to grab and throw, and a button to avoid the grabbing or releasing yourself (the same right-click but when getting grabbed, for instance). This could lead to a use of terrain, like throwing someone against lava or acid, or against trees, or whatever.

- Of course, hand-to-hand combos. Maybe through gloves as weapons, which was also mentioned previsouly in another topic (POWER-FISTS! :D).

- If a perk/levelling/skill system was implemented, some special techniques could be added, through a special combination of left-click, right-click and movement keys.

- Dual-wielding and two-handed weapons. These styles would remove the possibility of grabbing an enemy, but would give you better DPS in the form of faster/longer combos with dual-wielding, and more damage with two-handed weapons. Expanding on the previous idea, specific skills/attacks/combos for these styles would also be great.

- Combining melee and ranged style. For instance, think of having a one-handed sword and a gun, and using left-click to hit and right-click to shoot. You wouldn't be able to grab, but you'd have a versatile style. Also maybe Gun-weapons which would give you the ability to both hit and shoot, AND grab (as it would be a high-tier one-handed weapon). Another thought: Missile-launcher spears! :D

- Shields: Shields would be equipped with other one-handed weapons (even with guns). You would also lose your grabbing ability, maybe even lose some speed, but in return you'd be able to defend against shots as well by right-clicking (maybe not simply holding right-click, but having to click on the right moment). Also, they would have a certain durability, getting broken if they sustained too much damage (but being able to repair them, not downright losing the item).

- Dodge button? Like, a button that would make you roll on the ground to one side, which is present in a lot of third-person action games. This is completely optional, but could be a good idea.

- Visual effects: This is more of an appearance thing than a mechanic, but if a combo system was implemented, I think blows should feel "powerful", with some decent visual effects and sounds (maybe even voiced sounds, with different sets of voices that you would choose for your character when creating his appearance).

- Armors: Armors would of course increase your resistance against damage. But if the melee mechanics were going to be rich, a good thing would be to separate types of damage and give armors different defense stats, like, an armor defends better against cutting damage than against piercing, or even against fire than against cold, although I guess this could also simply be part of the special "properties" or "enchantments" you could put on items.

- Space / Reach: Unlike Terraria, melee weapons shouldn't be able to go through walls when swinging/performing combos with them. This would make shorter weapons incredibly useful, forcing you to keep a variety of melee weapons with you and not just your tremendously big Gungnir, which we all know you wield to compensate for something else. Yeah, try using that on a 2x1m cave, and let's see how useful it becomes compared to a dagger. In short, melee weapons should be hindered by blocks.

- Weight (By Wyatt): So items (especially weapons and armors) should have a weight stat. And this weight should affect your movement speed, your jump height, etc... This way, smaller weapons would have an edge over larger ones, and unarmored players would be trickier to hit!

That's it so far, but more ideas are welcome. I don't think it would be that hard to do it, as it would involve a total of three buttons (left-click, right-click and grabbing).

Auraknight and Madmarlon like this.
  2. Drithyl

New ideas:

- Shields: Shields would be equipped with other one-handed weapons (even with guns). You would also lose your grabbing ability, maybe even lose some speed, but in return you'd be able to defend against shots as well by right-clicking (maybe not simply holding right-click, but having to click on the right moment). Also, they would have a certain durability, getting broken if they sustained too much damage (but being able to repair them, not downright losing the item).

- Dodge button? Like, a button that would make you roll on the ground to one side, which is present in a lot of third-person action games. This is completely optional, but could be a good idea.

- Visual effects: This is more of an appearance thing than a mechanic, but if a combo system was implemented, I think blows should feel "powerful", with some decent visual effects and sounds (maybe even voiced sounds, with different sets of voices that you would choose for your character when creating his appearance).

- Armors: Armors would of course increase your resistance against damage. But if the melee mechanics were going to be rich, a good thing would be to separate types of damage and give armors different defense stats, like, an armor defends better against cutting damage than against piercing, or even against fire than against cold, although I guess this could also simply be part of the special "properties" or "enchantments" you could put on items.

Auraknight likes this.
  3. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

- Shields: Shields sound great, but i think they are only effective agains small enemies and are rendered useless against explosions of some kind

- Dodge button? oh, i think this is hard since there are 2 ways to dodge, but it can be handy in some situations, altough, if there was some kind of stamina system, dodging would take alot of stamina.

- Visual effects: Im hoping for good visual effects too, a 2D Side-scroller with awesome visual effects is awesome too see.

- Armors: I think armor was already confirmed?

4. Drithyl

Of course amors are basic, that part of the suggestion is kinda stupid, but I meant it so that armors would be based on damage types, rather than giving an absolute protection against everything (like Terraria, for instance). Damage types SHOULD be BIG in this game, should affect a lot of things, like being effective against some types of ennemies and useless against others, and the same goes with players. You could be well protected against axes, but be vulnerable to spears.

5. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Mmh, that actualy sounds good, but it would be hard to make if there would be so much variation in enemies.

6. Drithyl

Maybe not so much, variation in enemies, their appearance and kind of attacks doesn't mean that their different attacks don't fall into a series of pre-established categories. I mean, you make a list of generic types of damage:

-Cutting damage.
    -Piercing damage.
    -Blunt damage.
    -Fire damage.
    -Cold damage.
    -Acid damage.
    -Electric damage.

Then if you got a bit mystical, you could add more "magical" types of damage:

-Light damage.
    -Dark damage.
    -Force damage.
    -Etc...

7. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, you mean damage like that, then it may be possible to do that.​

8. pUREsTORM

pUREsTORM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another idea for melee weapons and also ranged weapons is the idea of charged attacks. Certain weapons, when the appropriate mouse button is held down, you attack continuously, whereas with weapons with charged attacks can unleash a more powerful attack that may have additional effects besides more damage, such as inflicting status effects like paralysis, set the enemy on fire, etc.

Drithyl likes this.
  9. Drithyl

That's also a great idea! Although supposing that you have combos, holding down the button for certain weapons should not attack continuosly, they should simply all have a charge attack that deals more damage (then some of then would also have special properties like, as you said, setting them on fire).

10. Starbound Striker

Starbound Striker Void-Bound Voyager

Dual wielding is already confirmed, you can use for example; A sword and a gun
    Defense/shields is also confirmed
    the FAQ chat confirms these things (see blue's collection of info)

Drithyl likes this.
  11. Drithyl

Oh nice, didn't know that, I read the "About" page and hovered over the FAQ but didn't notice. Sorry for the irrelevant ideas ^^'

12. Drithyl

One more idea which I think would be a game-changer:

- Space: Unlike Terraria, melee weapons shouldn't be able to go through walls when swinging/performing combos with them. This would make shorter weapons incredibly useful, forcing you to keep a variety of melee weapons with you and not just your tremendously big Gungnir, which we all know you wield to compensate for something else. Yeah, try using that on a 2x1m cave, and let's see how useful it becomes compared to a dagger. In short, melee weapons should be hindered by blocks.

13. Drithyl

This is by Wyatt, great idea. I'll compile all of these ideas into the first post.

- Weight: So items (especially weapons and armors) should have a weight stat. And this weight should affect your movement speed, your jump height, etc... This way, smaller weapons would have an edge over larger ones, and unarmored players would be trickier to hit!

14. Destro

Destro Phantasmal Quasar

I must say there are a lot of good idea in there, but i'm not sure about the combo, it would need to be really well made because I would not want to try to do a 3 hit combo without moving forward and end up doing a strong hit that make me move forward and impale myself on the enemies spear.

What I would like to see when it come to melee fighting is something like every melee weapon have 1 or 2 special moves that you can use if you have it equipped which mean you could get more moves by using 2 melee weapon. What I mean by special moves is something like we see in mega man x but they would be random, not weapon specific. Here some examples of special moves:
    - dash move that get you quickly next to the ennemie;
    - dash attack;
    - dash knockback that get you close to the ennemie and knock it back;
    - dash while in the air;
    - The ability to run quickly but not as fast a dash moves, but it would be possible to combine it with dash to jump far.

If there was a lot of diversity in many different moves, it could make for a very interesting melee fighting and you could use only 1 melee weapon to get moves that allow you to fight better with your ranged weapon.

Since it was said(in Blue list of announced game information) that "Enemy behavior will play an integral role in how you defeat them, much like in megaman/castlevania" then my idea could work since it come from megaman x games.

I don't know how well my idea, the combo and some of the other ideas would work with a keyboard and mouse, it would need to be pretty well made.

This idea could also work with ranged weapon but that is for an others topics.

15. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

Take a look at the late game combat seen in Fortune Summoners, Arche, the sword wielding loli, ends up with countless amounts of awesome combos and attacks that could be implemented to this some how.

pay attention to the sword wielder whenever she's on screen.

16. Drithyl

Combos wouldn't have to make you move, you could make them static with the possibility of moving yourself. I don't have any game in mind right now but I guess that you get what I mean. And anyways, I don't think impaling yourself on an enemy spear would be an issue, mainly because the thing that will hurt you is the attack animation, not the spear (this is pixel 2d, I don't think the spear will be programmed as a physical object), AND touching the enemy itself, and this shouldn't happen while YOU hit it (mainly because you'll have some knockback and won't collide against it).

Anyways, of course dashing attacks, mid-air attacks and all of the sort are extremely welcome! Everything that adds to the melee system would be great, I'm all for avoiding dull, continuous swinging like in Terraria.

Also, Dasaki, yeah that's the kind of dynamics I want, sort of like action-rpgs (think of Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of time, all of them had basic attack combinations if I recall correctly, which were awesome!). Nice game by the way, didn't know it, I should try it some time! ^^

17. RedRain

RedRain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Quick thoughts on shields:
    maybe the shield could be a piece of equipment attached to your arm, and when activated a sort of Electronic 'bubble' could appear around you, either adsorbing a certain percent of damage or lasting until a certain amount of damage is given, in which case you would have to wait some time for it to recharge and be used again.

E.G, if you activate a sheild that protects up to %40 of damage, a grenade that does 100 damage would only do 60. or, if a shield adsorbs 70 damage, a grenade that does 100 damage would have 70 protected, and the extra 30 inflicted.

18. Drithyl

It's a nice idea. I think they have already something planned for shields, but certainly this suggestion goes well with the sci-fi theme.

19. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

I fully endorse this idea cause it mentioned powerfists.
    But instead of using left/right click for attacks, perhaps use click/hold instead since, if I'm right, dual wield is confirmed, and each weapon is assigned to each mouse button.
    It also make the player think about timing, since click and hold takes more time to wind an attack than right clicking

20. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

Ya, it's VERY new, made by Lizsoft, the people who made Recettear.

There are a couple of interesting side scrollers out now with procedurally animated fighting. the animation for combat can just be it's own thing, and the movement another instance. so while you may stand still and combine attacks using a specified weapon, you can tether movement with it as well. Attacking and moving forward seems to always be a better tactic against enemies that are quick ad prone to knockback, while bigger foes allow you to utilize back pedalling while decisively striking at your opponent with different style of combos using different right and left click combinations with arrow/WASD movement key directions, exactly like Fortune Summoners. Example, a good combo for Arche is attack + up + attack + forward + attack, she does a quick two hit combo that keeps her moving forwards, then finishes with a hard knockback attack that also moves her forward a bit.