Melee mechanics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Drithyl, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

hmm, this idea seems pretty cool and persistent with the game. Some of those things are already confirmed though :D

2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Oh nice, I did buy Recettear for my sister on Steam and she quite liked it. I'll definately try this one some time. Also, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said that combos shouldn't imply movement, if the animation is well made it still results in a beautiful and dynamic combat system.

About the two-click system, Joxalot, dual-wielding is indeed confirmed. However the basic combo would be done by clickling the same button, for instance, three left-clicks, so that would still be compatible with dual-wielding (and when equipping two weapons your combos could be longer by combining both left-click and right-click combos). If you had a shield, right-click would defend, but you'd still be able to throw out the most basic combo with left-click. And if on top of that you add dashing combinations as Destro said, and the use of movement key to generate new combos like Dasaki said, well... That's quite an awesome system you get :D

3. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

This seems better suited for a "Ground up" game like terarria as in the future people only really use lightsabers for melee (Myabe you can adpt these for ranged?)
    But the mechnics sound good none the less and would help make combat more complex and intresting especcialy in pvp.

4. Drithyl

"Only" lightsabers? You sir, have a lack of imagination :D

Melee weapons can also become technological aside from lightsabers. And look at the screenshots of the game! Laser-axes! Come on, there's plenty of possibilities to adapt melee to a sci-fi universe ^^

TeoTheDriller and RedRain like this.
  5. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

there can also be held clicks to combo attacks, say you want to do a strong third strike, you'd click, click, then click and hold, and within a second the character will unleash a final blow that does more damage and has more knockback. This way, you can have more crowd control when you are getting pinned by multiple mobs, plus it'll just make you feel like a boss when you do it to a group of foes.

Ya, there can't just be lightsabers, there has to be all kinds of weapons. Look at Planetside for instance. That's a futuristic MMO that features literally hundreds of sci fi weapons.

6. Drithyl

Indeed, having the possibility of holding the button to finish the combo is a nice thing. In fact it's what I had in mind when I initially talked about right-click doing a more powerful, slower attack which could be used to finish the basic combo (lots of games use this), but since dual-wielding is confirmed, holding left-click (or right-click to use the other hand ^^) is probably the best alternative, and god must it feel good when you bash the head of those goddamned penguins with a charge attack! :ninja:

7. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

it's gotta look spectacular, a kin to some of the finishers that you could learn in Legend of Mana, or even with Arche's combos in Fortune Summoners. All it'll take is a good pixel animator.

8. Drithyl

Oh yes, I still remember the moves from Legend of Mana 3 (werewolf rules :D), that was impressive. I'm sure if they really do something like these ideas, it'll look great!

9. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

Agree completely, and SPECIALLY in a videogame. Let's take Legend of Mana for PSX as an example: more than 10 different types of weapons, each one with different moves, combos, advantages and disadvantages.

Want to go using martial arts? Poor damage but lots of comboing and velocity. Heavy sword? Slow, poor movement, short combos but big damage. Also, people get very creative when having to defend themselves against deadly stuff, so someone creates a style or weapon against lightsabers and here we go!

Finally, yeah, shields now are official. http://playstarbound.com/combat-part-1-shields/ What i REALLY, REALLY likes in that post is not the shields(nice idea, by the way) but the suggestion that they are going to use hitboxing to attacks and defenses(since the shield don't block your entire body, as it seems). And since one of the reasons fighting games are that deep is because of hitboxes...

Yeah. I guess i'm going to cry of happiness now... :cry:

10. Drithyl

Wohoooo! Epic! Seems like they're doing it exactly as we put it here, and those attack animations don't seem bad (at least it's not the dull swinging of Terraria ^^). Hope they post more about it soon!