Race Meet the Frostborn (Addressing the name 12/23/13)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Autzome, Nov 4, 2013.

?

Do you like?

1. no! bad idea!

5.9%
  2. Yes! i think it's alright!

37.3%
  3. could be better.

31.4%
  4. Banana

25.5%
  1. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

I agree... and personally i think cryo is better than my two suggestions... I was just throwing a couple more out there...

I mean come on, imagine exploring the stars and some comes up to you and says "Hi were the vĂ­sindi-kaldur" :p

Cryo is definitely cooler, and more... useable.

2. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

I was going for less hairstyle more viking helm ;)... Thanks for the feedback!

3. fabledClockwork

fabledClockwork Subatomic Cosmonaut

This sounds awesome, and the whole Nordic theme thing would work perfectly.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Update is happening this Friday!

i just need one more page of info and possibly a bit of art.

Dubbing this update "The Firestorm"

5. Piratedcopy

Piratedcopy Big Damn Hero

Man, i drew a picture of your race, and i came up w/ ; CryoClops, ice cyclops

Xenalith likes this.
  6. Autzome

FireStorm update is up!

Many changes to the lore with some interesting tidbits that will make sense to why they are viking themed.
    Sorry it took so long to update but the update had me adding some funky stuff and i had to make sure everything made sense in the long run.

gotta love dem lore updates.

Edit : i just realized that the latest update hinted at a super advanced 'Generation' of frostborn.
    wonder what happened there? and is the 'Lonesome Frostborn' still around? who knows! gotta keep things edgy, right?

7. Xenalith

Xenalith Subatomic Cosmonaut

'edgy' hahahaha

8. Newominus

Newominus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The sprite for their faces and chest area probably can't be that detailed, so im thinking there will be problems there if ever used in game one way or another.

Autzome likes this.
  9. Autzome

i could see the chest being too detailed but the face is really just a rectangle with three different blues.

10. Piratedcopy

Could you provide a download for the sprite? I'm already thinking of some badass viking helmet concepts.

11. Newominus

That's kinda part of the problem though, you're using different colors for one really small area.

12. Unstoppabro

Unstoppabro Phantasmal Quasar

Very cool idea! Their respawn animation could be a little cluster of nanites slowly forming into a Frostborn. I don't know why everybody is trying to change the socket-ey eyes, I like them :whoop:

Xenalith likes this.
  13. Newominus

That would actually be eight blues. The problem I have with those specific areas is that the pixels are way too small, 66% smaller infact, and as far as I know, everything in the game does not have a pixel size that small. You need some consistency on the size of pixels you use.

Autzome likes this.
  14. Autzome

i will make sure to address these problems when i fix up the sprites again.

15. Piratedcopy

I supported the socket eye :p
    their religion is too similar to that of the...erm...vikings...norse dudes. As stated several times before, the "nanite" portion of hte idea is less known, or associated w/ any so called "culture", while the viking would be a fun concept to play with. I recently found a skeleton pirate race suggestion, and though it was a creative combination, it was used before in "Pirates of the Caribbean", lessening its effect. Nonetheless, it combines two interesting concepts; talking skeletons, the type of creature it is, and Pirates, the 'culture" it has. We can inspect several other existing races to find the same pattern, Hylotl being fish creatures w/ japanese culture, and etc. With the idea of VIKINGS as the culture, ice makes more sense, as vikings have been associated cold areas/harsh climates in several medias. Snow golems, or elementals might work, or ice statues brought to live, but nanites just don't make the cut in my opinion. As newominus stated above, the 'core" pixels don't match up with the rest of hte body, I strongly believe it should be altered, or removed, or just add a dulled color (i.e. red) underneath to give the feeling of underneath the "skin". Going back to what creatures match w/ viking culture, vikings aren't really associated with being.....intelligent. Nanites don't do the job, but, as stated before, a "rock-brained' creature might do the trick. it might seem 'magical", which the Starbound Community hates a ton, so maybe just....well i'm out of ideas but i hope this helps!

16. Piratedcopy

A 'culture', that is really actually a creature, could be combined w/ nanites to make Zombie nanites, where these humanoid compositions are falling apart. losing energy, devolving, etc, havnig to scavenge others (cannibalistic, though that delves into the Florans).

17. Autzome

the latest update made the "NPC" frostborn unaware of their nanites and more combat focused(lower intelligence as well). as far as they are concerned their made of whimsical magic ice so they would be like the iphone5.

The type of frostborn the player is like...the iphone4! older but with certain features mixed around. For example their tech and their knowledge of their own nanites.

Xenalith likes this.
  18. Piratedcopy

Again, the theme of nanites doesn't fit w/ vikings. Either switch the CULTURE or switch the CREATURE, the culture currently being hte vikings and the creature currenlty being hte nanites. This is all my opinion, by the way, but i believe it would prove to be the best path for this race.

19. Xenalith

Xenalith Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Piratedcopy

You must not understand, the nanite ice creatures DON'T KNOW they are nanites. Just because being made up of nanites sounds smart, doesn't mean the actual nanites living together withing the body are smart.

20. Piratedcopy

I do understand that, however the theme of it just doesn't blend together in my opinion.