1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I think the big starbound chronicle news will be about donating/preordering.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZangooseSlash, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

I am writing this again make the game and preorder $29.99. So they can finish and I seriously think they are under pricing themselves and not just by relevance to the entire game industry but also because of the features this game will provide. Anyone who played Terraria or Minecraft know how much time this game gives you to be creative. Its way worth it.

2. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Do note that 50% of the reason I liked your post is due to the mustage on your avatar. And yes, but sadly games are not priced for their replay-ability nor estimated gameplay time. If so, then the games you mentioned should cost at least 50 more than your average "AAA" title with a length of 10 hours or less.

Tzuridis and shardival like this.
  3. Riki

Riki Void-Bound Voyager

So be it
    I look forward to it :)

4. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh, I wish for beta soon! :)

Keeper likes this.
  5. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

Will I be able to preorder from Steam?

6. Shrikevin

Shrikevin Void-Bound Voyager

I think this is big enough news to deserve it's own thread. I would have missed it if it was in the medals thread.

Also, there are no details yet, so no way to tell if it will be on Steam, Desura, or what have you.

7. backstabbeth

backstabbeth Pangalactic Porcupine

My monitor just shattered.

8. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

<@Tiy> If we have a tutorial, i'd like it to be sort of transparent
    <@Tiy> I'd like the start of the game to give you obstacles in the right order and of the correct depth so that you figure out how to play "on your own" whilst being carefully guided
    <@Tiy> Chronicle is coming out very very soon
    <@Tiy> with
    <@Tiy> a preorder
    <@mollygos> Darani, the preorder is coming soon
    <@Tiy> themanyes a beta will be released this year for people who preorder
    <@Tiy> the beta will contain the entire sandbox portion of the game
    <@Tiy> so its mostly done
    <@Tiy> the server works fine
    <@Tiy> it just needs nice admin tools and such
    <@Tiy> buying it from us directly
    <@Tiy> will get you a free steam key
    <@Tiy> when it becomes available
    <@Tiy> we're basically giving you two copies of the game, one from us, and one for you to get on steam for your convenience
    <@Tiy> I keep listening to this starbound track over and over
    <@Tiy> you get 79 tracks
    <@Tiy> with the preorder soundtrack
    <@Tiy> we're adding more all the time too
    <@Tiy> well you get two albums
    <@Tiy> one is the starbound soundtrack
    <@Tiy> and one is the experimental soundtrack
    <@Tiy> which contains music that may or may not make it into the finished game
    <@Tiy> its all good though
    <@Tiy> <Sishio> What other goodies come with the pre-order? Any hints?~
    <@Tiy> there are a bunch of different tiers you can buy
    <@Tiy> like a kickstarter
    <@Tiy> the base tier is game + soundtrack (79 tracks available right away), for $14.99
    <@Tiy> there are 4 packs
    <@Tiy> and the later tiers are things like.. you can buy to have a statue of yourself put into the game as an object
    <@Tiy> Azreide because i dont think its fair that some people get it earlier for paying more
    <@Tiy> two things remain constant
    <@Tiy> 1. everyone gets the game at the same time
    <@Tiy> and 2. everyone gets the ENTIRE game
    <@Tiy> no preorder in game exclusives
    <@Tiy> or
    <@Tiy> buy from retailer X to get X

Full log here (UTC+1)
    http://pastebin.com/URWYxgZA

But that somehow wasnt worth posting TBH, and the newsletter would explain it even better since its structured etc. But since its out ... its out.

Facts are quite simple so far:
    • there are currently 79 soundtracks
    • 4 pre-order Tiers
    • lowest pre-order Tier will cost $15 and give you access to the game (including early beta) and all soundtracks
    • the early beta contains a sandbox-like experience
    • there wont be publisher related or exclusive bonis
    • when buying the game from their website you will get access to the files which will later turn into the full client which will be DRM-free and update so you are not forced to use Steam etc
    • you will get steam keys once it is released on steam

blind sniper, Mianso, TehWavy and 4 others like this.
  9. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Guys. I want all of you to have a Sokina statue. I bet it'll cost quite a bit of money though. o:

WoxandWarf, Inno and Nesden like this.
  10. <@Tiy> the base tier is game + soundtrack (79 tracks available right away), for $14.99
    <@Tiy> there are 4 packs
    <@Tiy> and the later tiers are things like.. you can buy to have a statue of yourself put into the game as an object

^ While I also agree about the 4 tiers speculation, I think this one doesn't talk about the 4 tiers, rather a 4-pack. We talked about this in the IRC, but the fact that he mentions 'tiers', followed by 'packs', and goes back to 'tiers' makes it more likely that 'packs' after 4 wasn't a typo or a mistake.

Nesden likes this.
  11. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

I hope that the tier system doesnt go to far as to adding things that arent non cosmetic, statues are fine might be nice as a joke like in terraria. Im glad to hear that there are no preorder bonuses besides the tier bonuses, so that the community isnt divided. Im still quite irked at the notion of the badges though, like it makes sense, dont get me wrong, but there will be so many people who have the same badge, and whats not to stop people from looking down at others and going "Oh you only gave that much money, you obviously arent a true starbound fan" In my opinion it may fracture the community with a bunch of elitist jerks ruining the fun for people. Also arent that badges handed out by hand so wouldnt that be a pain for molly?

Zangoose and Herdo like this.
  12. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

13. V For Vendetta

V For Vendetta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really am glad I can finally throw money at them, showing them with joy! I'm so glad I can finally support the game that has gotten me so excited! Thank you for the hard work, I'll be insta-buying it when it comes out!

Edit: Even though I'm going to be only purchasing the lowest tier, I have gotten about 4-5 people to pre-order with me! So, I'll be helping them by just spreading the word. Thanks again for the hard work!

Zangoose likes this.
  14. backstabbeth

backstabbeth Pangalactic Porcupine

My monitor just shattered for the second time in a single day! (should really stop throwing rolls of quarters at it)

15. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

They'll be bankrupt by the time I've bought 1000 copies...

16. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

sweet, i just received a big paycheck a few days ago, im loaded and ready !

17. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. Riolu180

Riolu180 Void-Bound Voyager

I really hope there's an option to get the game without the soundtrack for $5 cheaper, since I won a prize of a free game many months ago, and I chose Starbound...but the game can only be up to $10. :(

19. Ken_Chihuly

Ken_Chihuly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My way to long of a reaction to all of this... :rainbow:

20. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex