1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel Starbound is too hard

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by 121derp121, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm talking about the medium ones. Not the tiny little shit specks, the larger ones but not the golems.

2. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Some part of the game is really hard...
    like when you don't have the last equipment of the sector...
    Their is also some npc which seem to spawn in the wrong place...
    I mean, I got OS by a npc in one game, with the last armor of the beta sector (In a beta sector)
    and that was the day. (I think....)

but by the opposite, when you have last equipment, you can one shot most of them and the
    game become way to easy.

Also, some npc are really easy to fight and don't hurt at all...

I have no problem with the pixels.
    At first it can be hard because you lose a lot when you die, but once you got the refinery,
    I just put some ore without taking the pixels except if I need it... so even if I die, I lose only
    the pixels I found and not the refinery one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Industrial Terraformer

Balance is generally one of the last items to get worked on in a title, followed only by performance optimization.

I'm sure the beta nature of this game isn't lost on you, and it's important we share our perspectives regardless of this status, but in this regard we shouldn't expect balance in the slightest.

4. Nalak

Nalak Astral Cartographer

At first the learning curve and the weak weapon may make it seem a bit difficult. Your second character, if you choose to make one, will go much faster.

I usually stock up on bandages first and then collect the ores I need, while keeping an eye out for chests for a weapon upgrade. By the time I hit gamma I can cruise to T10 in a single night. I wish the difficulty level from Alpha-Beta was constant all the way through.

5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Well this is becasue the medium one divides when beeing hit. and when the medium stirke you, he gives you a good bunch of damage, then you strike him and 2 or 4? smallerversions pop out also striking you. Thast where the massive damage comes from. and thats why you do not engange them in close combat.

6. -Mh King-

-Mh King- Seal Broken

I disagree. Patience and preping before taking on any task is key to surviving. Like don't starve once you start gathering and equipping yourself better. You odds increase. I've been on permadeath since the lastest update. It takes me time to collect and figure out what works. But in the end its all how you atempt your own fate. If your strolling out there using no logic and walking around like an idiot. You deserve to die. Period. .

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well eky for surviving yes, key for proceeding NO.

do you knwo what I did aftrer the wipe to try what is possible?

I amde it up to T9 quite naked except crafing that cheap 10bar eapon to get some creepers out od the mining shaft.

all you do is beam down put some torches in regular places and its more or less done. Ore comes plenty and too much to make real preparation. And if you die? doesn't care, you jut beam down and hoping into your mining shaft. In other game oyu first have to acces area X and the way to area X takes time and will be filled with enough creepers to not allow a naked char arrival there. but in SB you can do this without many preparations needed.
    you don'T also need to set up any kind of home fpr protection or storage, because this can easily be done in your ship (which with porting is instant access).

I wonder when i read people saying SB is hard, what will they say in other games, like terrario, o dwarf fortess, these games are then impossible?

Fluff likes this.
  8. 121derp121

121derp121 Seal Broken

SRY guys I just realized SB is easy I finally figured out how to dodge some of the attacks that got me killed and I got a better sword and a gun.

I've also played Terraria and beat it in like 3 days, well you can't really beat Terraria... I got the best stuff

9. de0lsu

de0lsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I feel in agreement about getting more combat effective in this game by simply playing over time. I've become quite capable of anticipating the various creatures in the galaxy and dealing with them, based on how they move and what attacks they use. I've positioned myself between a creature and lava, allowing myself to jump out of the way as the creature leaped at me, throwing itself into the lava and exploding :D That's just one of the tactics that I've used to survive in this game, and while I feel that the difficulty is not too hard, I am all for adjustments so that everyone can survive a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. 121derp121

121derp121 Seal Broken

11. Pixelstomp

Pixelstomp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, it's alright. The difficulty has been raised since day 1 of launch. With a bit of balancing the game will become great difficulty-wise, since the whole thing is already great. But anyways, the difficulties should be fixed sometime in the late beta or early launch.

12. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

If a game challenges you when you are new and don't know the mechanics...That's a good thing.

If the game doesn't challenge you and you beat it in a week, then why would you still play and not be bored

That doesn't make any sense, Terraria is harder than starbound. Are you sure you didn't stop before hardmode?

13. june32nd

june32nd Master Chief

I noticed later on in the thread you changed your impression to being easy. I just want to point out you're first and only issue on why the game is too hard was that you couldn't hit monster that where jumping. I'm guessing it never crossed your mind to jump as well with the monsters? You seem to know what to do having silver armor and sword. Yet claim when you go mine you can't as all the monsters. Yet to get enough silver to have armor and sword you must be mining somewhere.

All jokes aside. I'm not sure where the starbound is hard thread comes from unless the OP is a young kid or has never played these types of games before.

Protips:

-jump with monsters to be able to hit them.

-If using a bow aim to where the monster is going but not to where they were or are when shooting.

-most weapons I have used was the starting weapon you're given and then I just used what I found. I still haven't crafted any weapons and I've just entered beta zone, been using a rusted up looking axe from my spawn world that I found in a chest just below surface level in a cave.

Its also a good thing you didn't come across planets with poison or acid instead of water or you'd really think this game is hard.

GLHF

14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Dude,this isnt Dark Souls.

A-You dont actualy need the Pixel Compreser,its a fairly useless item and has almost no use.

B-If I am corect,you need a refinery for refining the Voxels(products of the said compresing) and you cant get 15k pixels even with a Refinery?And if you dont have it,why get a compresser?

C-Combat is the most basic thing in Starbound,reason why im not touching it till it fixes it or major update.
    But if you need a good setup,dont be an idiot,use a shield and a good one handed and your set for game!

D-Your gonna get it if you dont upgrade yer armour!

E-Blatantly asuming you are going to recieve a lot of hate and that you are going to ignore it is rather childish,so stop it,Да?

15. PiratePeaHat

PiratePeaHat Big Damn Hero

I find the game a bit too easy. Here's why: Just like Terraria, it felt slow and hard because I had no clear cut idea as to what I was supposed to be doing. I didn't read any manuals, and just jumped in. I had a crappy set of gear and no armor. So, what I did was learn the game in a different way. I read up on the information and just how the game is programmed, and what the angle of progression actually IS. This saved me quite a bit of headache. Then, in a matter of hours Terraria suddenly became way too easy, because I understood what it meant to go from A to B.

Same thing with Starbound. Way too easy. You can dick around with mining for minerals, or building, or exploring. All these are valid ways to play, but they do not make the game any easier. Learning what your resources are and how to use them effectively is what makes it easier than being one shotted. Also, not every combat MUST BE MET WITH MONSTER-TRUCK ENTHUSIASM while carrying a weapon you aren't sure is going to help. That's the fastest way to feel useless, imo. I've been known to dig around enemies because I know fighting them at that very moment won't be as fun or rewarding as getting to that vein of something just outside of your light radius.

So I guess what I'm really saying is (without throwing the stupid cliche of l2p at you, which I find insulting) is to try to find your angle and then work at it. Read a few notes here, and do your progression in a way you find entertaining. Problems will eventually work themselves out. Don't be scared to go to the wikia.

TL;DR version: There is no problem that can't be solved with an ample amount of patience and knowledge, or explosives.

Akado and Khromm like this.
  16. UnsoundMrBlaze

UnsoundMrBlaze Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest, this game is easier than Minecraft and especially Terraria for me. For one, Minecraft can be very scary for me. In Terraria, underground worms..........Well, I love how Starbound does its difficulty. Truthfully, the game has a difficulty of its own. Not too hard, and not too easy neither.

17. Incredipede

Incredipede Title Not Found

I wish the progression system would be like Terraria. Even with the highest armor there were easy and difficult monsters. If you have the highest armor on Starbound, you can easily kill everything with two slashes - this is different in Terraria.

18. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I'm really surprised (pleasantly so) that an actual discussion came out of this. I mean, the OP's username doesn't exactly promote an image of polite understanding or deep thought. He also ended his original post with

If you "know" your statements are going to generate a lot of anger and backlash, yet you post them anyway...

Anyway, all ranting aside, Difficulty options would be good. Not difficulty like "Tedious" vs "Easy button" but actual difficulty like "Is there more chance of ranged multihit mobs on all planets" versus "All Bash, All The Time". That would be pretty neat.

greenman likes this.
  19. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Honestly, I don't feel like the game is too easy or too difficult. I think that it's too unbalanced.

It's difficult when you first enter a tier because the gap in difficulty is outrageous. But once you get the material to craft on-tier armor and weapons, it becomes insanely easy.

Here's what I mean.

In a balanced game, at each level of difficulty there's a gear you can make that is the top of that level's class, and is incredibly strong to help prepare you for the next level of difficulty. When you proceed to the next level, this gear should put you just enough on-par with the enemies there to survive long enough to make that level's gear.

In StarBound, you enter each level of difficulty wildly unprepared, and your goal is to sneak around and hope not to die until you craft that sector's armor, at which point you become able to survive quite easily. In fact, you could say this gear is overpowered for the tier you craft it in. However, once you move on to the next level of difficulty (the next tier), your armor becomes laughably UNDERpowered, and you go back to playing ninja while you try to make the next armor set.

So because of this odd choice of balance, StarBound has moments where it feels incredibly easy, and moments where it feels punishingly difficult, rather than simply being a smooth ride the way any game should be (at least in my opinion).

20. Ramus73

Ramus73 Starship Captain

When I first started playing SB I was dying faster than a liberal in redneck country but now I only die because I did something stupid (not looking where I'm jumping in an asteroid field). I have the Basic Shield that you get from day one and it still completely blocks all damage from Delta Sector mobs. Any difficult mobs or groups and I just build a wall with a gap to shoot through.
    I think the AI needs a lot of work to make the game harder as at the moment you can just stand on a different Y axis and the mobs soon lose interest. Chucklefish codies need to look at pathing AI routines. And maybe giving certain mobs the ability to dig you out would prevent the 'block myself in' tactic.
    Maybe its asking too much of an Indie game but a cover and fire mechanic would be cool for gun fights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.