Hunger, thirst & temperature management ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Hapistorique, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hapistorique

Hapistorique Void-Bound Voyager

Hey !

I'd like to know if hunger and thirst managing is planned ?

If not, I'd like to suggest it :) Aswell as the impact of the temperature on players.

For example :
    You'll have a hunger bar that you'll have to fill by eating. You'd have to hunt and cook to survive. Food could have different effects based on what type of food it it, how you cook it, etc.
    You couldn't survive a long time at the surface of an icy planet without the right equipement, or without using torchs

I'm conscious that a lot of players wouldn't like this system, so it would be cool to be able to choose your options when creating your character or map (similar to Terraria, with the Softcore/Hardcore mode)

GERCharon and bounding star like this.
  2. Remmus

Remmus Subatomic Cosmonaut

as long as it doesnt mean half my backpack needs to be filled with food and water, aka basicly only something in the back of your mind. As "immersive" as it is, the back side is if done badly it hampers the one thing a sandbox game should invoke, the desire to explore.

3. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

if you want to have a hunger bar play minecraft and why survive on an icy planet? just build a weather changer and make it sunny!
    btw, a hunger or thirst system is not planned... maybe they gonna add it

4. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah I would totally support this Idea and I really like the idea of temperature managment, I don't think many games did this, so it would be something new and fun.

5. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Temperature could work, but hunger systems are far more annoying than anything else.

Constantly having to make sure you're not going to run out of food to survive is just a huge, unnecessary pain, especially in a game like this where exploration is a huge part of the experience. Trying to explore while making sure you don't starve is just a hassle.

ZeroHunter likes this.
  6. EGadd

EGadd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah I don't know about hunger.. it depends on how it'd be done because I too, find hunger systems more annoying than anything. Again, I guess it depends on how it's done.. like maybe you don't lose out for not eating but rather you GAIN bonuses FOR eating? So you could play the game without ever needing to eating but you'd benefit from it. :p

7. Hapistorique

If you want to play a 2D game, go play Terraria. What a stupid answer. ( + The hunger management in Minecraft sucks.)

8. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It could always be handled like Fallout New Vegas handled it. Make it optional, and give the player the ability to turn it on for a world at any point. Server admins could choose to set the server to what I'm temporarily calling "Hardcore".

Acrylic, ZeroHunter and Ecchiholic like this.
  9. Ecchiholic

Definetly a good idea, so the people who want hunger etc. can have it and the people that don't want it, can just turn it off.

10. Remmus

Remmus Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would go one step further and make it the way I think it should have been done In Fallout: NV, give you the option to micromanage each separate effect of "hardcore" mode, aka pick if you just want hunger, or hunger & thirst, or just have enviromental effects, etc.

Acrylic likes this.
  11. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Oh god no. Oh god, god no. This can't turn out to be another terrible game with having to have hunger, thirst, and even repairing weapons. Please no.
    I actually think, that maybe hardmode ideas with that could be added, that'd be nice.

12. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

I really hope they do NOT put a hunger/thirst system into Starbound. With the expansive travel from world to world, and across massive planets, you would spend all of your time eating and drinking, and not be able to take in the full experience of exploring. I think it works fine for far more limited games, but even in Minecraft it severely hampers your ability to enjoy the huge map sizes.

13. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

A sci-fi game like this needs temperature! Sort of how it was handled in Terraria, you cannot access the Hallowed until you did a certain objective.

But, the hunger system should be a separate mode entirely. Food in the regular mode just heals health, but in 'hardcore' mode, food is handled Minecraft style (food doesn't replenish health, but a full hunger meter allow health regeneration).

Jedesis and Acrylic like this.
  14. photostyle

photostyle The Old One

I think this idea would work well as a "hardcore mode" option, like in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

15. Ecchiholic

Why should hunger stop you from exploring? You could just eat berrys or other fruits from local plants!

16. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

That just dosn't sound fun to me, food you CAN cook to get stuff with different effects but don't NEED to could be fun.

Now that makes sense, but torches? this game is more science fiction then fantasy, and torchs while legit don't sound like something you would warm yourself with on hoth

Witch would be legit, but the fact that it would take a lot of work to make all the food and stuff for an option not a lot of people like!

17. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

I just don't want to have to worry about eating and drinking. I want to be able to build, mine, explore and whatever else without having to stop for that.

18. Hapistorique

That's why it would be optional

It's just an example, It's the first word that came to my mind :)

19. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

Ok, becuse I'm slpit on cold gear, on one hand, needing stuff to live in cold/heat/acidick evements/places with deadly air is intersting, on the other side I like being able to wear my clothing anywhere

20. Ner

Ner Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have to agree with these guys. Hunger and thirst aren't bad ideas but they can get really annoying. Temperature, however, could work. Going on a freezing planet could seriously hamper your movement and maybe even get you sick without the proper equipment. Going on a desert planet or a planet with perpetual sunlight could kill you from the heat without proper equipment. Also, as someone suggested in another thread, going to deep in possible ocean biomes/planets could kill you if don't have the proper equipment to handle the pressure.