1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

grappling hook!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SolidSnake, May 26, 2013.

1. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

now that ive got your attention by making you think a new thing was released, heres the thread;

So the Tiy has mentioned in the past that there will be some sort of grappling hook mechanism, but they havent decided on what it would be yet.
    I cant really think of any sci fi alternatives to a grappling hook, besides a more sci fi grappling hook. What about you guys?

nelsolla likes this.
  2. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

Mag hooks? Personal tractor beams? JET PACKS!

Lumberjack_Liam likes this.
  3. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

MAG HOOK WOULD BE COOL AS HELL
    just imagine setting up a line at the top of your mine, and to get back up you just click on it and it slides you up. You could put these anywhere, wouldnt exactly be a grappling hook but it would make grappling much less OP and you would definitely think more about where youre going to place it

4. MRGOOGLES

MRGOOGLES Phantasmal Quasar

a portal gun :):):):):):):):):)
    [​IMG]

Nebularus, M0du5 and natelovesyou like this.
  5. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Gravity boots! When activated, you can run on the ceiling and up and down walls.

EDIT: As a counter-balance, their usage could consume energy, which is also used for guns.

6. Rozy

Rozy Phantasmal Quasar

Oh you son of a bitch I actually went to the main page and refreshed.

Well played.

Anyway something like this would actually be a good idea. More mobility without a need to use a tech slot would be extremely useful. The one in Terraria was simply put the most useful pre hard mode item in the game so it would be a shame not to have a grappling hook.

Maybe it can be rolled in as a feature or upgrade for the matter manipulator. I'd say grappling hooks matter, so manipulate them!

SolidSnake likes this.
  7. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well, I can think of lots of high-tech version of the basic grapple design.

- It could use gravaton beams instead of rope, which means it's never break and has extra long range.
    - It could shoot a homing beacon for a short-range teleportation device, like in Flashback.
    - It could shoot Batman style projectiles to create a zip-line.

8. Eta

Eta Pangalactic Porcupine

Spider webs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MRGOOGLES

MRGOOGLES Phantasmal Quasar

those would be nice with portal gun so you don't just fly threw it and fall 1000 feet

natelovesyou likes this.
  10. IndieGamerRid

IndieGamerRid Zero Gravity Genie

There's the hookshot, which pulls you to certain places but doesn't let you hang. Or at least, it didn't used to.

I don't know. I didn't much like the grappling hook from Terraria and I would like something that actually functioned like one--a throwing item where you could grab a purchase with the end and swing from it in mid-jump, or throw upwards and climb against a wall with it. You'd pick it up again by walking over the hook.

But that's probably not going to be the case. :p

EDIT: I drew some concept art a long time ago for a mech game I wanted to make, and something called the Piton Launcher, which was a gun--more of a projectile apparatus--which was like an extended hookshot with the retractability being optional.

11. Opfierce

Opfierce Aquatic Astronaut

As long as I can reach the ores and hard to reach items, the appearance wouldn't matter to me. It would probably look like a whip lash hook is my guess.

12. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

I would vote for some sort of plain grappling hook :DD maybe one that you can swing with like the previous spider-man talk. I was thinking similar to the Terraria grappling hooks but it wouldn't pull you to that point. It would let you grip onto a surface and swing.

Karamunin and WoxandWarf like this.
  13. klipwc

klipwc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An adustable grappling hook which you can control how much length you want to extend or pull back after you fire it. That did make placing walls in large structures a less of a pain as it did in terraria

14. Gearsofclocks

Gearsofclocks Orbital Explorer

I would love to see grappling hooks and or jet packs in the game. That would be great.

fallingorbit likes this.
  15. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

id say anything that lets you go both up and down.
    to be able to go down a mine shaft slowly thanks to such a tool would be awesome.

fallingorbit likes this.
  16. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

I'm thinking Mag Boots, that enable you to choose your orientation and even be able to rotate 90 degrees, using a wall as floor, running into Spaaaaace (or to the depth of the planet) quickly.

fallingorbit likes this.
  17. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

what happens if you activate them at 180 degrees while on a planet's surface :giggle: ?

Bluxen likes this.
  18. Bluxen

Bluxen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you can't simply use something different instead of a grappling hook when you have played ratchet and clank :D

19. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Then you'll reach Space even faster!

20. Maybe instead of a grappling hook that "launches" out from your character it's more of a "lasso" or a real grappling hook. You equip it, then need to swing your mouse and the hook needs to "grab" a block from there you can swing or climb, or even lower yourself down. Think about it. It would take quite a lot of skill to master, the hook part and the rope part both having physics. Maybe you could also "anchor" the loose end and create a tightrope or something.

Oh here is an interesting idea. One thing that has always bugged me in Terraria is the use of "wooden platforms". I hated just using them to reach places and create paths. A more interesting idea would me to use climbers gear, like rope and pitons.

You carry pitons and rope with you, and you attach the pitons into walls, and have the rope attached to them, so you could climb up and down. Combine that with the "lasso hook" idea from before to scale gaps and reach distance places.

Just a thought, probably hard to implement, and hard to use, but I think it's a niftier idea than a grappling hook ala Terraria.

elizabethIII likes this.