Race Frrnasn

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by CGadmirer, May 3, 2013.

1. CGadmirer

CGadmirer Void-Bound Voyager

Welp gonna try my hand at this, HERE WE GOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

(I AM VERY BAD AT SPRITING)

The Frrnasn

Once an endangered species, the Frrnasn has quickly become one of the most abundant races across the local galaxy. Mysteriously, the Frrnasn appears to have spontaneously appeared on a previously uncharted, barren planet (now a luxurious vacation planet officially called "Frrnas") in a system along the outer rim of the galaxy. This is because no record of the Frrnasn had been documented or officially released until a mere 1540 years ago.

The Frrnasn's official statement is that they have narrowly escaped what they call the "White Sundering" through a freak rift in the fabric of reality, though this might not be entirely factual as the Frrnasn representative who gave this information called herself the "Head Elder of Suris Gathering, Council Elder of Worldship Gonyiun, and one of the top 100 achievement collectors."

Biology

The Frrnasn are a feathered humanoid race, who appear to have traits of both dinosaurs and mammals. Although they are covered in feathers, their skin feels more mammalian than reptilian. The feathers provide adequate protection from the harsh sunlight and the dust storms found on their planet of origin. Their heads have two primary, forward-facing eyes, with four additional, smaller eyes on their 'foreheads'. A small, bone 'crest' adorns the top of their head, with each individual Frrnasn having a unique design. Their hands possess four clawed fingers arranged in an 'X', which makes them appear to have two fingers and two thumbs. These fingers are capable of bending in all directions due to having a similar bone structure as that of a human spine. Their feet follow the structure of most plantigrades. They use their long, thick tail for balance. Their internal organ layout is more consistent with mammals than with dinosaurs.

The most unusual trait of the Frrnasn is that their brains are actually a set of several redundant brains fused together. The effects of having multiple brains are unknown at this time, but it seems every Frrnasn appears to suffer from some form of mild schizophrenia. While this mental state may be entirely normal for them, attempting to communicate with the Frrnasn can be difficult due to this.

Culture and History

Frrnasn are commonly found in small groups called 'gatherings', which is equivalent to a human hamlet or town. A head elder serves as the highest-ranking officer of a gathering, similar to the duties of a mayor of a human town. While a single gathering is essentially their own nation, groups of gatherings are known to unite as a 'supergathering', with a new nation being formed as a result. The head elders of each gathering then form a council, who represents the government of the entire supergathering.

The Frrnasn used to be diurnal, but like humans, advances in technology have allowed them to be active in both day and night. Their 'buildings' consist of compact, underground 'pods' that can serve any need, such as housing, or a workshop area. Pods are regularly combined, split, or repurposed as needed.

Agriculture is heavily encouraged in their society, as nearly a third of all Frrnasn become farmers or play some other role in the industry. This is a holdover from when the Frrnasn did not have the proper equipment to fend off the savage wildlife on their own planet, so they dug underground to hide from predators and focused on sustainable plant life as their primary source of food. Livestock is used to aid in crop propagation; the Frrnasn do not raise them primarily for slaughter like other races do, despite being omnivores. Even though other types of food are now easily accessible to the Frrnasn, they are such extraordinary farmers that many non-Frrnasn colonies rely on their exports to mitigate food shortages.

Although Frrnasn are preservationists, they are more inclined to support the growth of native wildlife than preserve the original state of the planet's terrain. Previously uninhabitable planets tend to become terraformed and enriched with plant life whenever the Frrnasn migrate to them.

Many of the Frrnasn colonies are friendly and will often take a diplomatic stance to avoid conflict, but they have been known to defend themselves when threatened. However, with the Frrnasn's rapid expansion due to their currently high population growth rate, other sentient races may be concerned that the Frrnasn will attempt to annex their territories.

The Frrnasn are eager to share scientific knowledge whenever possible, though new species of plants or animals excite them just as well. Their scientific research is more focused on biology than the other two major fields; however, quantum mechanics is currently the most popular field of study among Frrnasn.

There have been several instances of Frrnasn slavers that seek out sentient life and enslave them to be used as either workers or livestock. These slaver groups are usually small and unorganized, and not as much of a threat as most pirates. The other Frrnasn communities are quick to deny any association with these slavers and would appreciate any action towards apprehending such rogue Frrnasn, but without outside intervention they usually do not work towards finding and catching slavers themselves.

While not outright stated to be a religious belief, most of the Frrnasn believe that their "passing through" was the result of a nameless force that was responsible for everything and anything that they cannot explain, and which they also believe was what caused the spontaneous creation of the universe--or rather, "their universe". The more devout of those who follow this belief also prophesize that the "White Sundering" is destined to happen again, in which all of civilization will be ripped apart by "falling stars and pillars of light", and those who remain in the light shall be burned away. When the "White Sundering" occurs again, the nameless force is destined to choose one race to be spared this fate, and send them to another universe in order to warn those in the new universe that the same fate will occur again, in a never-ending cycle of destruction.

The Frrnasn claim that they had lost important knowledge when they "passed through the doorway", and so they are currently trying to "regain what has been forgotten" now that they have ensured a foothold in their race's survival. While this cannot be confirmed, it should be noted that when the first escape pod wreckage on their home planet was discovered, they managed to create a worldship capable of ferrying the entire Frrnasn race to the nearest star system within six months. A few historians who have studied the Frrnasn race say that while they may certainly have experienced a near-extinction event, there is no concrete evidence that supports the idea that the Frrnasn have come from another dimension.

Curiously, the Frrnasn seems to be more intrigued by the humans than any other sentient race, as there is a growing number of Frrnasn who are emulating human mannerisms and indulging themselves in human entertainment, such as music concerts, or playing video games.

The most popular type of clothing among Frrnasn is the jumpsuit, though they will also wear other types of clothing to blend in with other races.

Technology

Originally a very primitive race when they were first discovered, the Frrnasn has progressed rapidly and are currently up to the humans' technological level. Their innovations in underground farming have not gone unnoticed, and their enclosed farm pod design has been adopted for use in many starships.

It is a commonly known fact that a civilization must first discover the wheel before they can discover the automobile. The Frrnasn seems to have ignored this fact, as their technological progression appears to have missed several important steps. Moreover, their current technological level appears inconsistent and anachronistic, with examples such as having tamed beasts for civilian transportation while using magnetic propulsion tracks to launch worldships into space, or drawing water from wells using hand-powered pumps with a built-in reverse osmosis filtration system. It seems that their technology becomes more advanced when electricity, biology, farming, or space travel is involved.

Extra tidbit: Frrnasn personal mass driver

[​IMG]

The Frrnasn personal mass driver is a scaled-down version of their mass driver artillery cannon, which is prominently used in their planetary defense systems. Using a miniaturized, efficient laser cooling system along with a N-CLUMP 77AX CPU to handle the coil sequencing, this coilgun achieves superior projectile velocities with greatly reduced cooldown periods compared to most other handheld mass driver systems. This gun can be set to high power for maximum penetration or low power for less lethal impacts. Aside from the standard iron-cobalt slugs, it can also be loaded with a variety of specialized rounds, including smart fragmentation microgrenades, compressed thermobaric shells, and "Sparkburst" confetti blanks. Options include: scope attachment, adaptive gel grip, a sound system that produces a "laser" sound effect every time the gun is fired, and metallic rainbow finish.

It is said that the popularity of the mass driver in Frrnasn society was the result of a bet between several Frrnasn scientists to see who could design a better drilling laser. Though the scientist who submitted the mass driver design was disqualified for it not being a true laser, the design was so much more cost-effective, compact, and reliable than the other laser designs that all military and construction laser technology was quickly dropped and replaced with mass drivers. Even with current laser technology being as viable as magnetic propulsion technology, the Frrnasn still tend to favor mass drivers.

Extra tidbit: Frrnasn biology labs

The Frrnasn biology labs are humongous, multi-level pods that are much further underground than other conventional Frrnasn pods. Within these labs are gigantic environment simulation rooms, which recreate specific biomes for various flora and fauna to flourish semi-naturally. The Frrnasn use these labs to study certain lifeforms in a controlled environment and to create new mutations of a certain organism that would be of better use for the Frrnasn. Powered by either geothermal energy or a contained fusion power source and maintained by an automated robot system, these labs can function for thousands of years.

While Frrnasn biology experiments are well-contained and have redundant security measures in place to ensure a safe environment, occasionally something goes catastrophically wrong. In the event of a total containment failure, the Frrnasn find it necessary to seal off the entire lab by fusing any and all entrances shut, and then blocking all passages leading to them with a thick layer of dirt and stone. Foolhardy adventurers who wish to explore these forbidden areas may do so at their own risk, because while the Frrnasn are perfectly fine with the idea (and in fact encourage the more able-bodied to clean up their mess), the abandoned labs are usually overrun with many different types of mutated creatures that are far more dangerous than the natural wildlife anywhere else on the planet. Despite the danger, many brave explorers still enter these ruins because Frrnasn scientists will pay highly for the recovery of important research documents that they left behind.

I'll probably edit this later, sometime, maybe
    [REVISED THE FRRNASN BIOLOGY]
    [now with new extra tidbit]

Edaniel, Carlsman35 and Jonesy like this.
  2. Carlsman35

Carlsman35 Astral Cartographer

Can you please make it shorter?
    :iswydt:

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm thinking paragraphs, instead of just shortening it.

Other than that, it's actually a very interesting idea.

4. CGadmirer

So my big problem with this race is trying to find a good theme for it that would suit the Starbound universe. Right now they're kind of a post-apocalyptic survivor-type dinosaur race, kinda, but I would like to know if any of you have some better ideas.

Admittedly, this is more of a personal experiment than a serious submission.

(also I'd like it if someone could sketch me a picture of what they think the Frrnasn looks like in detail, just so that I can make changes accordingly and/or be disgusted)

5. Corgster

Corgster Pangalactic Porcupine

My big problem with this race is 50% of their biology being about lactation, and half their intro being about rubbing growth lotion.

Carlsman35, Nutt007 and Atlus like this.
  6. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Bow chika... uh... wow... wow?

ExoSapien and Carlsman35 like this.
  7. Danaru

Danaru Master Chief

What the crap made you think any of the lactation stuff was a good thing to add? What is it about Starbound that makes people want to project their fetishes on it?

ExoSapien and Atlus like this.
  8. Atlus

Atlus Big Damn Hero

You're kidding...

Gimme a moment here... Okay I'm reading.

...And I was only exaggerating when I said people suggested these kind of races.

[​IMG]

9. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

If I could sprite I would think of a better race. (A race with even more fetishes). Just try me.

And you need to chill out bro.

10. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

Not even sure how to say their name... o_O

11. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Thank you for promoting a helpful and friendly forum community!

ExoSapien likes this.
  12. Corgster

Well if anything, he's trying to promote a healthier community, because this suggestion doesn't reflect too well on the Starbound fanbase.

13. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

And he was setting a real good example with his outburst there, wasn't he?

I'm not going to discuss this any further.

14. Corgster

Yes, like a heroic vigilante braving the unspeakable horrors of the suggestions forums, he came down on this thread with no hesitation and no mercy, letting everyone know that this kind of things will not be tolerated.
    I'll hold you to that.

15. CGadmirer

Oh.
    Ohhhh.
    Um.
    Oh dear.
    Well, I guess they'll never let me live down this one, will they?
    I was kinda hoping that more people would approach this from a scientific viewpoint and not have it come off like it's a personal fetish (IT'S NOT SERIOUSLY OH JEEZ YOU AREN'T LISTENING), but... [NOPE APPARENTLY CORGSTER SAYS I'M JOKING] y'know what? You guys are right. I need to not be the guy who thinks his opinion is undeniably right because that guy often becomes a huge jerk, and I don't think I can handle being a huge jerk who spreads hate everywhere for no reason other than to make himself look good and everyone else look stupid.
    So, I'm going to revise the whole thing so that it's less inappropriate for Starbound's target audience. Some good criticism would be appreciated.

16. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Just ignore these guys on their high horses.
    It looks great now but not that it was any worse than before.

17. Corgster

Hahaha oh wow. Scientific viewpoint. Good one.

CGadmirer, Atlus and Danaru like this.
  18. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Octopuses? Anything with tentacles really.