Extensive Hair Layering

Discussion in 'Other' started by IcyOrio, Jul 7, 2013.

1. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

My idea’s a short and simple one. Maybe some of you texture artists, or long hair fans, have noticed that hair in StarBound can seem a little bit off and even decently limiting. These are from the character creator. Notice the small gaps in between the hair and body; the arm only hides it during some poses.
    HairExample.png
    Some of you might have also noticed the inability to have foreground hair below the neck; since poses completely screw it up. Really, go check! You won't find a single hair style with frontal hair that covers a single pixel below the neck in the character creator.
    HairExample2.png
    My suggestion is that there be a layer both behind and in front of the body to allowed for both background and foreground hair as an easy solution to fix this. The game already works in layers, so I doubt it'd be very hard to implement. This also opens up many more possibilities for hairstyles and makes it a million times easier for texture artists to make their own hair; as they don’t have to keep remodeling the same hair style for the different poses. Here are some hair styles for Humans and Florans I had made a while back. Quite a few of these wouldn't even be possible unless this layering change was implemented.
    HairExample3.png
    Please support this if you want to have less limits when it comes to character creativity. :)

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. This looks interesting for the style of our characters :love:

4. Va1iD

Va1iD Void-Bound Voyager

This does allow lots of creativity, new colouring options might be added too! That's nice.
    Also the expansive hair supply is nice too, I like that.

5. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

That's actually not a bad idea...
    More style options for when my friend (a guy) makes a female character and names her "b*tch".

SpaceRobo, Dat Critter and creepwolf like this.
  6. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

True, but I wouldn't exactly be using this for just females or such uses. ;>~>

SpaceRobo and Koopaloop like this.
  7. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Wait. the sprite itself is pretty static excluding poses. Why wouldn't it work if the foreground hair was longer than the neck? since the head is a different body part than the arms, if the pose were to change, why would it disturb the hair? Isn't the hair and head basically static and doesn't move along with the body? If so then why would foreground be needed? I can see background hair as a problem though.

If there were hair overlapping the body, that would mean that the head/hair is over the body which would cause some problems with background hair. That is unless the hair head were separate although since there are no head designs hair basically hair. If head = hair then WAIT A MOMENT!

test.png

BOOM FOREGROUND HAIR MADE IN CHAR CREATOR.

test.png2.png

8. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

Hmmm, I still see a couple of issues with that hair style and you're still unable to have overlapping hair at all. I've checked the pose sheets and it simply doesn't work. It turns out there is more to that hairstyle, but the arm covers it most of the time. Example4.png
    This still means that my idea for hair would work out better; it'd let you decide which pixels remain in the background & foreground and it'd still make poses easier when it comes to texturing longer hair. The main points of my suggestion are still valid. :)

9. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

If the arm covers it, wouldn't that be a good thing? Simply make the hair bigger than it should. Most of it will be hidden by the arms and body but if the arms happen to move away, the hair under it will take it's place. What I am saying is there is already a background hair and since the head/hair is over the body, there is no need for foreground.

10. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

It's not a good thing; you don't have a choice of which hair is foreground and background. If you actually would take a look at the texture sheet while trying to layer the hair, then you'd understand; I'm fairly certain that background hair is not supported past a certain point both vertically & horizontally! There is STILL too much limitation and it's a pain to mess with it. :cry:

11. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

You mean the foreground and background are one and the same? Would you mind uploading the sheets?

12. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

That's not what I'm saying at all...
    Here's one of the older templates I used to use. It's not the best, but I'd rather no spam this thread with a huge template that's more then needed to prove a point.
    Human Template.png

13. Caradon

Caradon Orbital Explorer

This is a good suggestion, but let's save it for after release.

14. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

Well of course. I never said it had to be beta!~ I'm just hoping that this could possibly get added in at all. It'd even make things easier for mod makes that add hair. :DD

15. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

You don't have to prove a point. I'm just a confused, curious and unnecessarily handsome man.

Boldty, Quantum and dhxmg like this.
  16. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, Sorry then! I thought I had explained things pretty clearly. Basically I'd like to add separate foreground and background layers for hair to allow for less restriction. There's thing that you can't really see unless you actually try making these longer hair styles while using the poses. You'd end up having to redraw the hair and tweak it for every little pose and the arm's movement would cause the hair in front of them to move with them. I'm not sure if I can explain it any easier then this. X3

17. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I think I get what you mean. But for some reason I don't really mind. Since the gaps are small and only seen in some poses, it wouldn't really be a problem in game. I couldn't care less but I can see it being a problem in art uses such as fan-made comics and whatnot.

18. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

Also a problem for modders and texture makers~.

19. AviansFTW

AviansFTW Master Chief

Nice, I would be happy with more customization.

20. IcyOrio

IcyOrio Cosmic Narwhal

Who wouldn't? :DD