Expanded Attack

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, May 5, 2012.

1. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

2. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I don't like the idea of combos that much. I do agree that there needs to be a wider variety of ways you can attack with weapons, but I always hated the fact that you needed to memorise all the combo attacks. And then if you miss just one, misclick or anything, it's all wasted. Also, which button to click in which situation and at what time... It's just... Meh. Perhaps it might fit fighting games, but I have never seen it work well in adventure/rpg games. However, if the combos aren't very complex(max 2 different attacks; perhaps as much as 3) then it might be a positive addition. The only game where I liked the attack combos was Prince of Persia. And there they weren't very complex.
    So while i do agree that there needs to be something more than a single "press x button to attack" thing, complex combos might be a bit too much.
    Also, i think something like this was suggested once already. And I'll post in the spoiler something that I've already posted there.
    [​IMG]

The shield bash idea is great though. But "stuns for a few seconds" is waaaaay too much. It might stun for 0.5 sec or less to create the feeling of disorientation. Otherwise it would be more than crazy. Everyone would just use shield. You keep spamming shield bash and your opponent can't move. A few seconds is a long time in a fight.

I don't have much to say about point 3) so I'll just skip that. I'm uncertain if it's a good or a bad idea. Needs more thinking about.

I agree with point 4.

5) Well, about that point. I myself adapted in Terraria - either found a way to trick my opponent and lure him in when I was using a sword(chasing him through a bullet-storm is not the best idea), or I had sword set as 1 and megashark set as 2 and I switched between both weapons. So I'm not sure if it's necessary. You'll just have to be cunning if you want to catch someone with a melee weapon. And have the right accessories. You could always catch someone with wings. You just needed good manoeuvring skills, prediction, cunning and reaction.
    For example:
    You start chasing your opponent. When he starts sending bullets your way, you move diagonally to the opposite side from him until you can't see your opponent on the screen anymore. Then you land on the ground, and quickly dash towards the side where you've last seen him. He will most likely be going to your side by then, and his wing power will be ending, so all he will be able to do is glide. If he tries to run, you can use a grapling hook when you're both near the ground since it pulls you faster than normal moving as well. Using all that and some other tactics, you could often catch your ranged opponents with melee weapons.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

4. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Oh. Well, you can't expect me to read through the whole thread :D
    Either way, this:
    Together with everything else gave me the impression of a relatively complex combo system(including both varied attacks and movement during these attacks).

5. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

They said that if you do have a shield, it would be on one hand (left click or right click) and then the sword or whatever will be on the other hand. Same for everything else, you can have a pistol in one hand and a lightsaber in the other.

6. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I already know that, what does that have to do with the thread???

7. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Sorry, I was awake for a REALLY long time when I posted that. I have no idea what I was thinking.

8. Mr. Mistah

Mr. Mistah Phantasmal Quasar

Ah yes, another example would be grandchase. You have to learn some strategies to defeat your opponents but still it makes just simple combinations with the attack button sometimes adding an arrow button or 2 to make an extra hit.

9. Shot846

Shot846 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Combos? not bad but its like a 'Console' game :/

10. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

kingdom hearts in 2d. i like this already :3

Sarzael likes this.
  11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

And why would it need to be a console game to have combos :p? And they wouldnt be very complex.

12. Manry

Manry Void-Bound Voyager

Combos aren't indicative of a console game.

13. Mr. Mistah

It doesn't have to be consoles; besides, PC are kinda like consoles :p

It would be funny if PC could also mean 'personal console'.

14. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Reminds me of that street fighter shit, man.... I sucked at it...

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Mistah

Someone already used the picture for this thread :rofl:

16. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Oh hell... how did I miss that?!

17. Mr. Mistah

No clue.

You know everytime i go to this thread and look at this picture, I think of the song Circus Gallop. Ever heard of it? Look it up on youtube, its ridiculous yet i love that song cause of how wacky it is. :p

18. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Fingers = Broken.

19. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Fingers? Which fingers???

20. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

My fingers! If I ever tried to play Circus Gallop on piano.