Dragon Planets

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Inferno_Draconis, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Imagine a world ruled by dragons, where massive, fire-breathing creatures soar through the skies and reptilian and saurian creatures inhabit the lands below and the caves beneath. Many would say that dragons belong solely in fantasy, but I personally believe they have a place in science-fiction as well. They would not only present a fun challenge, but would also be a valuable resource, since a slain dragon would yield ultra-hard claws, fangs and scales, as well as the gel which provides them with their powerful breath weapons.​

Landscape
    Dragons are highly adaptable and there are draconic creatures adapted to almost every environment concievable. Almost any other type of planet may also be a dragon planet, but what all dragon planets have in common is large, underground cave complexes, carved by the dragons to use as lairs during the night.​
    Monsters/Races (Earth-like World)

Lumite - small mob. Tiny, glowing dragons, sometimes mistaken for fairies. All the differently coloured varieties are identical in behaviour and attack intruders in the same way; using a small energy pulse.​
    Vulkane - medium mob. Usually found in large packs. Wingless dragons, about the size of a large dog. Often found in wooded areas. Differently coloured Vulcanes drop different items.​
    Fire lizard - medium mob. Large, brightly coloured reptiles with the ability to breathe fire. Usually found underground.​
    Drake - medium mob. Usually found alone or in small groups. Sometimes hostile, sometimes passive. Differently coloured Drakes have different breath weapons and behaviour patterns.​
    Velori - NPC race. A race of winged, draconic humanoids. Though warlike, they are not always hostile and may even help you out or offer you quests. They possess highly advanced technology, and come in a variety of colours, although their colour differences are purely cosmetic.​
    Vulcos - large mob. Usually found alone or in small groups. A large dinosaur resembling a black allosaurus, but with the draconic ability to breathe fire. Very tough, but slow and stupid.​
    Mecha-Wyrm - mob. Varies greatly in size and power. A robot designed to copy the abilities of a dragon. Not as powerful as real draconic creatures, but armed with a variety of hi-tech weapons.​
    Cave Wyrm - large mob. Usually found alone or in small numbers. A wingless dragon adapted to life underground. Differently coloured cave wyrms have different behaviour patterns and breath weapons.
    Dragon - large creature (mini-boss). Usually found alone. Fast and powerful creature, usually intelligent. It is possible to converse with some non-hostile dragons. Some dragons are equipped with additional gear, such as armour, wing lasers, a tail mace, or a nose spike. Differently coloured varieties have different behaviour patterns and breath weapons. Dragons approaching from above can be spotted early by watching for their shadow.​
    Wyrm - boss creature. A huge, tremendously old and powerful dragon. Usually intelligent, it is sometimes possible to converse with Wyrms instead of fighting them. They may even offer you quests or advice. Like smaller dragons, they may wear additional equipment into battle, and have different behaviour patterns and breath weapons dependant on their colour. A Wyrm approaching from above is easily detected by its looming shadow.​
    Vulcos Titan - boss creature. A massive dinosaur resembling a black Tyrannosaurus Rex, only much larger, and possessing the draconic ability to breathe fire. Extremely powerful, but slow and stupid.​
    Subjugator - boss creature. A huge battleship resembling a dragon formed from metal. Constructed by the Velori. Its hull is heavily armoured and bristling with powerful ranged weapons.​
    Items
    • RAW materials
      Vulcanite Ore - Rare metal ore, usually found in dragon lairs.
      Dragon Fang - Monster drop.
      Dragon Claw - Monster drop.
      Dragon Scale - Monster drop.
      Flammable Gel - Monster drop. Usable as ammo.
      Coolant Gel - Monster drop. Usable as ammo.
      Static Gel - Monster drop. Usable as ammo.
      Acidic Gel - Monster drop. Usable as ammo.
      Black Gel - Monster drop. Usable as ammo.​
    • Processed Materials
    Vulcanite Bar - from Vulcanite Ore. Rare metal, very unreactive. Suitable for making high-energy weapons.​
    Concentrated Fuel - from Flammable Gel. Usable as ammo.​
    Industrial Coolant - from Coolant Gel. Usable as ammo.​
    High Energy Cell - from Static Gel. Usable as ammo.​
    Concentrated Acid - from Acidic Gel. Usable as ammo.​
    Gas Canister - from Black Gel. Usable as ammo.​
    • Others
    Lumite Egg - found in caves near areas where lumites spawn. Can be used to raise a Lumite pet.​
    Drake Egg - found in caves near areas where drakes spawn. Can be used to raise a Drake pet.​
    Dragon Egg - found in dragon lairs. Picking one up may spawn a hostile dragon nearby, or even a Wyrm! Can be used to raise and train a dragon, which can be used as a mount.​
    Vulcos Egg - found in open areas where vulcos spawn. Picking one up may spawn a pack of angry Vulcos nearby, or even a Vulcos Titan! Can be used to raise and train a vulcos, which can be used as a mount.​

Weapons
    • Thrown Weapons
    Wyrm Fang Blade - throwing knife (made from Dragon Fangs)​
    Molotov Cocktail - explosive. Sets enemy and nearby ground on fire (made from Flammable Gel).​
    Canned Blizzard - explosive. Slows enemy and makes nearby ground slippery (made from Coolant Gel).​
    Storm in a Teacup - explosive. Briefly paralyzes enemies (made from Static Gel).​
    Acid Flask - explosive. Temporarily reduces enemy defense (made from Acidic Gel).​
    Smoke Bomb - explosive. Does little damage, but confuses enemies (made from Black Gel).​
    • Guns
    Wyrm Tooth Bullets - bullet/ammo (made from Dragon Fangs).​
    Dragon's Breath - effect depends on ammo type. Uses all gel types as ammo (made from Vulcanite).​
    Blazer Cannon - beam weapon. Beam sets fire to nearby objects, enemies and scenery. Uses Concentrated Fuel for ammo (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    Shatter Cannon - Projectile weapon. Shots scatter sharp ice fragments on impact. Uses Industrial Coolant for ammo (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    Mjolnir Rifle - beam weapon with limited homing ability. Uses High-Energy Cells for ammo (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    Meltdown - short-range weapon. Fires a continuous stream of acid, which sticks to surfaces. Uses Concentrated Acid for ammo (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    Exterminator - special weapon. Fires a large, slow-moving cloud of poison gas. Uses Gas Canisters for ammo (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    • Melee Weapons
    Wyrmclaw - broadsword (made from Dragon Claws and Vulcanite)​
    Wyrmtongue - spear (made from Dragon Fangs, Dragon Claws and Vulcanite).​
    • Armour
    Dragonscale Mail - armour. Strong but lightweight (made from Dragon Scales).​
    Vulcanite Suit - heavy armour. Provides environmental resistance (made from Vulcanite).​
    Vulcanite Power Armour - Ultra-heavy armour. Provides immunity to most types of environmental damage (made from Vulcanite and other rare metals).​
    The Wyrminator - mech. Dragon-shaped, with limited flight ability (made from Vulcanite and other components).​

Any criticism is welcome, but if you criticise negatively, please explain your reasons for disliking the idea. Don't worry, I won't be offended.

2. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

wow you thought alot about this but i agree completely i think like volcanos that you climb into ad fight a dragon inside a volcano of sorts or up high in the snowy mountains or a cliffside

3. ~Monsters/Races Edited~

Cave Wyrm added.
    Dragon edited.

4. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Murky Approves of this idea!!!

5. ~Armour Edited~

Vulcanite Suit edited.
    Vulcanite Power Armour edited.

6. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

This is a very interesting idea, but I hope its like easter egg rare, and it migh take some RL days to find it, but it'll definitely be a fun challange, and I don't know how those predefined weapons and items will work with the rest of randomly generated stuff, but I hope it gets added in some way.

7. Some of these ideas could be used elsewhere, with Vulcanite being replaced with another unreactive substance to allow the crafting of the weapons and armour.

8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I used to be the best on dragon lore. No match for me! This was 5yrs ago. I still remember much. Your knowledge is alright. But I think the Fire Dragon should be a large mob because it is actully one of the biggest kinds of dragons. Not huge, but a bit bigger than a medium sized mob :3

9. These dragons are not meant to be a direct copy of dragons from other works of fiction, but an alternative dragon concept for use in Starbound. As for the Fire Lizard, it is not actually meant to be a true dragon, but a mutated reptile with some limited draconic abilities.

10. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Ok are You going to implament differt dragons though...and dragon rideing...and shouts :3

11. ~Monsters/Races Edited~

Sorry about the frequent edits but...
    Wyrm edited.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  12. Nyss

Nyss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hehehe, SOMEBODY likes dragons...

Can't blame you. Dragons would be a fun thing encounter. I feel it would be best to keep them rare though, so their appearance has the most impact, and you can have them as powerful as you like.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  13. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Ehem...(edit)BrutorDRAGON! Ive loved dragons scince a was but a wee-lad! Only thing I know the most about :p

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  14. Kristopher

Kristopher Phantasmal Quasar

Yea you should be a dev with all these ideas.

15. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Very well made thread. May I ask if I could make a thread just about dragons? I see you have made 2-3 sentences for the description and I would like to create a thread as long as this just for dragons. Is that ok or... But I have to say great post, maybe this isn't the type of scenario of dragons you like, but some can take form of lesser beings (usually humans) and it is possible to persuade a dragon to let you ride, but they will not and can not be forced.

16. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

*blinks in astonishment*
    wha... what is this...?
    epic suggestion worth adding but make them rare because of the good items they hold
    we are dragonborn then :fusrodah:

17. Feel free if you want to make your own thread. I left out precise details on interactions with dragons to reduce the size of the post, but there's nothing stopping you from writing them in a thread specifically on dragons.

Zeklo likes this.
  18. Darkstorn

Darkstorn Starship Captain

I love dragons, so i give you like before reading :rofl:. I like almost everything, except mech dragons... I don't know why, just no. But I love idea of dragon eggs. Like from me bro'

19. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

upon reading the title of this thread, I thought of a planet that is a giant animal and if you start taking its resources from it it tries to kill you by making weather/geographical effects around you or it's mouth spits out a bunch of enemies, but then i realized that's stupid

20. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

Draconics may like this planet. Velori may view them as a sibling race.