1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think planets are going to change seasons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LeBleuMeldy, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBleuMeldy

LeBleuMeldy Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, are some planets going to change season or are some just going to have 1 season forever (Like a planet that is only in fall) or just have no seasons all together and do you want them to?

2. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

I would believe that even if they haven't thought of it yet,it would be something I would expect them to do. And if they do, I'd imagine there would be some planets that change season and some that don't. Changing seasons is something many game devs have tried to implement, and I would assume that they will at some point.

3. LeBleuMeldy

I hope they do!

4. Jeme223

Jeme223 Pangalactic Porcupine

i mean realisticly, most planets dont really have seasons do they? it just goes from slightly less cold to really cold (or hot, depending where the planet it)

But since i guess this game isnt based on realism, id like to maybe see some Earth like planets that have seasons and then id like to see other planets that are permanently wintery, or summery, you know mix it up a bit....

5. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

So do I, I remember hearing Notch say seasons were something that was being worked on waaaay back when, and was disappointed when it never got implemented.

6. Oathrunner

Oathrunner Subatomic Cosmonaut

Seasons are not something you would find on all planets. The Earth is special because of its tilted axis we believe was caused from an impact a long time ago
    (The same one which may have even given us our moon.) during the formation of our solar system.
    So the only reason a planet has seasons is from a tilted axis or sometimes an elliptical (oval like) orbit around its star.
    But enough with the science lessons.

I would love to have seasons on some planets, just not all.

Ooooh, What about moons!!!!

7. LeBleuMeldy

Well of course not all of the planets...

8. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Id love to have seasons on some planets, id even make my homeworld on one. Variety is the spice of life :D

leet it b likes this.
  9. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

Visitable moons would be awesome! They've already got a system for varying gravity, so it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

10. Fakenublet

Fakenublet Space Spelunker

You mean Theia? The mars-sized object that impacted Earth while it was still uninhabitable?

And yes, i really hope they add seasons in Starbound, along with some season-themed blocks....:D

sasquatchjc likes this.
  11. It's kind of complicated now that I am overthinking it. Since seasons vary on the planet's orbit, distance from its star, tilt, etc., plus the fact that Starbound is 2d, meaning circling around the planet is rather vague. But then again, it doesn't have to be thought too much.

Interesting though.

12. Oathrunner

Oathrunner Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ya, I forgot we had named it, that's kind of a weird thing to do.

13. It's aesthetic, but I'd definitely welcome it.

14. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Interesting, I'd love seasons. But not on all planets.

15. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

Well, technically it wouldn't have to be. What if a planet had different species that only came out in one season due to hibernation? Or had such extreme seasons, you had to equip certain gear due to how hot/cold/rainy/electric/toxic the atmosphere of the planet is? There's probably other things we could imagine weather could affect the game, like, while its not technically weather, what about planets like mercury that have extreme temperature differences depending on night/day? you wouldn't be able to just wear an anti heat suit or an anti cold suit, some sort of fusion of the two would be necessary. These planets would also be high threat level, due to the physical toughness any species on that planet would have to have in order to survive such differences.
    Not all planets in the universe have seasons. In fact, very few, due to the strangeness of how seasons are caused. Only a handful of planets that have been observed have elliptical orbits or tilted axes, so if this were implemented I would assume that in the same way gravity is going to be different per planet, that seasons/no seasons would also be part of planet metadata.

16. Admiral CherryTurnover

Admiral CherryTurnover Cosmic Narwhal

I would definitely enjoy seeing the dynamic changes in planets. Not only for Light cycles, weather, and overall planetary conditions, but also in seasons. It would most likely come in as a post release polish, however this may possibly be a pet project that could/or has already been in the works.

If there is indeed Seasons for each individual planet/world, then that would strengthen the complexity of the Biomes by giving each of them individual states. (which would be Wonderful!)

But seeing how each planet will have varying distances to a Star,
    the differing biomes on each planet would make up for seasons until more time could be directed to these details.
    Again, I'd say it has been considered and would not be on top of the to-do list.

Please Chucklefish, Surprise me and Prove me dead wrong. :cautious:

17. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

That's the why it's best to be pessimistic! Haha, either you're right and expected it, or you're wrong and pleasantly surprised! But anyway, I agree, as I stated above, the implementation of seasons could provide a wealth of additional variety to the game, and specifically to the planet itself. The planets are each different from each other, but seasons could add variety within a planet.

18. sasquatchjc

sasquatchjc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry to rain on your parade, but every planet, moon, etc. have elliptical orbits, so that has nothing to do with seasons. There are only a handful of planets that have CIRCULAR orbits, if any at all.

19. Adurna

Adurna Big Damn Hero

Right and wrong. Most if not all satellites have a slightly elliptical orbit due to the gravity of other satellites in the system. But there are some satellites that orbit at very elliptical orbits, prime example being comets, that do have seasons based on their noncircular (or non "so close to circular it doesn't even matter") orbits. But to be fair, saying "nuh uh no planet has a circular orbit" is a bit like saying "no, its 2.00000000001 not 2." Sure you're correct, but does it matter? We don't have to be 112% precise.

20. Pacific

Pacific Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope because I want snow during Winter time.

Karamunin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.