1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED [ARCHIVE] Creative Mode - Complete control over your experience.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by aMannus, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerox1996

Nerox1996 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

/mods/. It has this handy file called 'modsgohere', that's where you need to be.[/quote]

THX ^^

2. Dragontears

Dragontears Big Damn Hero

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for this mod, it's helped me catch up to where i was before the reset :) Thanks so much ^^

3. FIX FOR CORRUPT PLAYER SAVE FILES:
    So the best way to do this, is creating a new player file, but no worries you still get your stuff back.

1 - Create a new player with or without the same name.
    2 - Leave the game, on the Player Folder delete the .metadata and .shipworld of the NEW player (to find the right files see bellow on this post).
    3 - Rename the OLD player .metadata and .shipworld files into the new player:
    EX: New player file name is 8488697178fa11a7bc3a88bc3153.player so you rename the Old Player .metadata and .shipworld files with that first "8488697178fa11a7bc3a88bc3153"
    3 - Go into http://c4isbad.com/starreader/ and you want to open it twice: - The Old Player Save File - The New Player Save File. Both Open.
    4 - Copy the details from the old save file into the new! You should be good as new, save and replace it.

:paper: How do i know witch one are the right save files?! There are 2 ways far i can tell, one is check the dates the save files have been last modified, if you only played with that char today, you will notice the modified date will be the most recent one then. The other way is enter http://c4isbad.com/starreader/ and upload player files till you find the one you want.

Once you enter again the game you should see your old ship, your location, and mostly your inventory / equips like they were.
    If your issue is on the ship itself, then it's better to use the new player not replacing the old one. @aMannus

daddycool likes this.
  4. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Currently looking into a way of spawning items through a placable object. The thing is, there's no way yet to produce a text input ingame to use for certain LUA functions. Once that IS possible, I'll be able to create an object, make the player input the name of the object they want, and let the object spawn it. This would effectively make a /spawnitem command work through an object. Haven't figured out how the hell I would be able to do this though.

@Bacon, thanks for the description. I'll be sure to link anyone having the same issue to your post. In the meantime, I'm trying to look for alternatives for this ridiculous problem.

5. @aMannus yup it must be devs side to tweak how client will handle this errors, it should ignore and make them non-workable or not even loading them instead of crash the client. :monkey:

6. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Yes, I noticed this as well. The client crashes as soon as it finds any item/object that isn't working all that well. A function that's not closed, a variable that's not being defined. It's these little things that make the entire game crash. So if there's any item like the Neon stuff in the game, it tries to load that, sees something is wrong, and just shuts down the game instead of just not running the code associated with that item.

For modding, it's not that big of an issue, especially because the .log file does log these errors extremely well. But this is vanilla items we're talking about, so fixing anything related to that would require editing the core game files.

Bacon likes this.
  7. Kamil118

Kamil118 Void-Bound Voyager

meaby add some item witch will unlock all printings in 3D printer? (of it is possible)

8. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I haven't looked into this at all, and honestly, have no clue how it works with the 3D printer. That could fix my furniture problem though if it is possible. I'm currently still looking at a way for a completely different alternative though. These boxes are causing way too many problems so far.

9. KidJB

KidJB Space Hobo

Having troubles loading starbound after this is in the mods folder im stuck at loading everytime but when i remove the mod it loads up fine

Any clue?

Using windows 8

10. That would be interesting, unlock all furniture via 3D Printer. Still 3D Printer is not able to print some items for some mad reason, unless you tweak it to list them all :p

But i have one better idea... Why not...
    NPC SHOPS? One thing i find interesting is that they are fully compatible with multiplayer, if you instead of boxes, create some new NPC Spawners that spawn merchants with the stuff you want, it would certainly fix many issues. But you would require several NPCs for each type of stuff as far i noticed they don't own categories? (maybe you can even mod that into the merchant window).

I saw some players around modding Merchants with tons of things inside, they can also be modded to not be kill-able (with high HP and health regen). It sounds like a pretty random idea, eh!

11. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Try removing all of your installations of the mod, including any older ones you might have in your assets folder, and then do a fresh install. It sounds like the game is recognizing duplicate objects for you, which means you have an older install floating around somewhere.

I have not looked at NPC's whatsoever, to be honest. I do know I would need to create a custom NPC, making the compatibility exactly the same for multiplayer as it is now. Customizing UI right now is REALLY iffy, as in, you can change existing elements around, but adding any custom elements is almost impossible. Most of it is hard coded, so yeah.

Still, all of these solutions are freaking iffy. The whole idea on itself of having a crafting table unlocking all of these recipes is iffy, even. Shifting to multiple boxes, categories, NPC's, whatever, is just shifting the problem to a different object. I'm currently working on an object, that when interacting with it, spawns another of the item you're holding in your hand. It's not a perfect solution, but it might be a good alternative if I can get it to work. The beauty of this is that it should be working with weapons as well. I have no clue how well it'll work, I just know it's possible in theory.

12. KidJB

KidJB Space Hobo

Gonna try reinstalling the whole starbound game and placing the mod, its working on my laptop so far actually loads but on my other one its not so ill try a fresh install.

Thanks for replies

13. daddycool

daddycool Master Chief

This mod also corrupted my saves just now. ;_; Thanks for providing a fix Bacon.

Bacon likes this.
  14. thasin

thasin Space Hobo

aMannus there is a mod for starbound called Jumper its like what bacon said to have a npc that can spawn items. maybe you could make an npc like jumper to spawn items? also he didnt update the jumper npc for the offended koala.

15. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

As I've said, this only switches the problem from a place-able object to a NPC, which even has less functionality because of the lack of categories, compared to an object. NPC's also will lag your game while trying to open it's interface if it holds more than 300 items, there's no difference.

As mentioned before, I'm working on an object right now that is supposed to spawn an item that's the same as in your hand. While it might not be the same as having every item available in the game, it would mean I can get rid of a lot of the items (like dirt etc) since they're so commonly found.

The problem is the sheer amount of items I'm trying to load in any interface. It's because of the way the game handles recipes for objects and UI's that it lags like it does right now. There's nothing I can change about that. Basically meaning, every workaround is either user-unfriendly or doesn't have the same functionality.

16. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

The game is not optimized, Mannus. Hopefully once the code is finalized and Tiy can get around to streamlining it, this won't happen anymore. But it's beta. Crap's gonna happen.

de0lsu likes this.
  17. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I'm definitely not blaming anyone in the dev team for not making this possible. But the thing is, before the game IS optimized, I will have to figure out a way that does work right now. I was merely stating that a lot of the stuff that's happening right now is not really in my control, which means options are rather limited at the moment.

Honestly, at the moment, I'm starting to think this 'spawn all items' kind of thing is just not very viable at the moment, and it won't get much better (apart from removing crashing items, obviously) than what it is right now.

18. I believe you should not try to make the real thing right now. This mod will break many many times as game updates and mod support gets more polished. So for now one fast-fix is enough, issue here, issue there, but nothing that can't be bypassable.

For me it works great, only need the furniture going. I believe 1 box for each type of furniture is fine. Or Pixel Printer unlock, i already got some new recipes on the pixel printer with this box automatically, not sure how.

19. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

Yeah, the current four boxes we have right now will suffice for the time being. Once the game is more stable you can re-consolidate everything back into the Spawning Box.

20. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

This is freaking awesome. So, because you said this, I figured out just unlocking the recipes for the player, also adds them to the 3D printer (which is basically also a recipe players learn when they add stuff to the 3D printer). So, if I would add an item just giving out the recipe just like I did with my own spawning boxes, it'll be added to the printer as well. NOW I understand why some items aren't printable too. The devs know about how recipes work, which is why they don't add the tiered furniture to the printer. Would a player feed a tiered furniture item to the printer without having the recipe unlocked for the regular crafting table, this would unlock the recipe for the crafting table too. This is why you unlock stuff for the 3D printer as well as teaching the players vanilla crafting recipes with my boxes. Recipes are global as long as they share the same internal name.

Oh wow, so I just need a huge item list for an item that has this on BlueprintOnPickup. And I know the "Unlock Then All" mod has this, but it hasn't really taken off because of pretty bad documentation. If I could bug him to use his list (I can already, but I'd rather have permission to do so) the furniture problem would be fixed within seconds.

It's still sad, but you guys are right. I'll have to fix the items that crash your game and such though. I have to be honest, I got really fed up with these spawning boxes. I know some categories don't work with the search box, but honestly, I'm kinda fed up with this whole "move items around in categories until it works" game, and rather put my energy into something more fun. I'll try and contact the developer of Unlock Then All and ask for permission. If I have that, I'll try and get rid of the generic items as well and release the mod as the first 'official' release, or 1.0 in other words.

EDIT: Added a small preview of the flight tech in the opening post.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    de0lsu and Bacon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.