1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Another Server Memory Leak? Why such Linux Hate?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bacon, Mar 10, 2014.

1. EDIT: After other linux server owners input it's clear Linux version of the server software did not get the fixes Windows got.
    EDIT 2 (5th May): Windows got fixes again, 2 Months later Linux is still untouched.

I am wondering for a time already about this, on Furious Koala, as patch notes say, server memory leaks got fixed, and as we ran our server it was indeed releasing the RAM.
    But Sadly, since Enraged Koala it seems there is a memory leak again, at least with us, it uses all the RAM it can get, duzens of GB of RAM till it lags and crashes. Did the memory leak got introduced again on this new version? Or you guys do not have any problem with it?

On another note, will the WINDOWS Server Bug-Fixes be fixed for Linux? The crashes are one big example and other stability things that patch notes refer as fixed but they don't refer it's a windows-only fix.

Also the issues with the incredible high CPU Usage, up to 500%, Starbound eats all the CPU it can get on Linux, really lagging everything, with 10 or 40 players online, this happens.

Another Linux only issue is the recently introduced "server hangs", that is, the server from sudden disconnects everybody, it timeouts every try to join it and the process do not crash, it's still running non-working, it's a very frustating issue because it's not possible to make scripts to detect it and restart the server.

Also not sure if it is linux-only but for some of us, sometimes when the server crashes / restarts, it can take up to 45minutes till it start because it is recovering files like the universe.dat and others, is this one issue or the server just doesn't handle well big universe folders?

Max

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    seekONE and class101 like this.
  2. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

I have has significant improvements since the latest patch all around. Still does not go above 3GBs, never did. Windows Server 2012.

3. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Same :3

4. We use Linux Ubuntu the 64bit version.

5. TooManySecrets

TooManySecrets Sandwich Man

Well its already been discussed that the server runs better on windows. My server never crashes. Win Server 2008

6. Yup i find amazing how server performs awfully on linux (comparing to windows), the good thing of linux version is how amazingly fast it starts / restarts comparing to windows that is a slow pain in the ass.
    The lies of the patch notes "fixed server crashes", just for windows, but they say it's fixed for everybody, that's just great to know Devs are neglecting their Linux version of the game. :(

7. TooManySecrets

TooManySecrets Sandwich Man

Well if you set up your windows server good it will prob boot up fast also. Mine takes about 35sec.

8. Same here, never seen the memory leak fixed here because on Linux the server is not even capable to get a decent uptime without a crash

It looks even worth to me because right after starting the starbound service, sometimes the server memory grows to 20% (on 16GB DDR3 total) with 0 peoples on it.

my universe is almost 10GB big and never wiped since start of beta so not sure wiping it could make it better, haven't seen any announcement yet asking me to wipe the universe

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. Underbalanced

You can clean the universe up by deleting universe.dat, universe.chunks. You should double check around though. I have not thoroughly tested it. So I do not know what gets effected by removing these two. I just know that the planets do not SEEM to be effected.

Additionally why don't you prune your universe, be removing planets that are X months old.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    class101 likes this.
  10. Wipe the Universe just makes you win some more time, it's a question of less a day with normal player usage till it drives itself crazy again. I get irritated the patch notes a complete LIE, they should start to put after the bug fixes "Windows Only" because when i was happy reading it was fixed, i was frustrated when the issue splashed again on my face.

Our Dedicated Server runs Ubuntu, all servers it ran, MC, Snapshot, etc... always run perfectly, i just wish Starbound Linux version had the same bug fixes windows version do have.

class101 likes this.
  11. Yeah I think I'm going to wipe it completely, thanks guys for your recommendations

12. Underbalanced

This is just hear say. Perhaps its your players mods? I have heard no official post indorsing one OS or another. Theoretically they should run the same. I still have more crashes depending on what players on, which leads me to beleive the actions of players may be causing more crashing then anything.

Why wipe the universe. Clearing the universe.dat and universe.chunks removes alot of space, does not seem to effect anything and also clears up mod compatability bugs if adding or removing mods. Additionally if you clean your universe regularly (Monthly) Deleting anything over 2-3 months, then simple. My universe never goes about 3GBs. Although I will be increasing the prune time to 6 months. While allowing personnel to submit a planet save if they deploy or are ina job that prevent them from aplaying for a prolonged period of time.

13. I also heard about, players mod things to cause massive floods and errors on the server, it's possible linux handles that in a way it ends up crashing or lagging out.... I'm not sure, but both ways it's up to the devs to get this right D:

class101 likes this.
  14. Just that my universe was 10GB big so it was to completely start with a fresh universe to ensure all newly generated planets are made with the Enraged Koala engine

Oh yes, I hate mods at this stage of the beta, I think they are causing most of the crash here, I will start to miss game like terraria where everyone is on the same clients, there is a lot less problems than now

And yes I know we could set the strict assets option, but this option is too restrictive and causes troubles on non modded clients.

15. Jatz

Jatz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have been running a server for quite some time, utilizing around 40 mods, 15 patches, 2-10 players. During furious it was always 100% stable, max mem. load never hit over 50%, and never had a single lag spike even during excessive periods of playing.

Ever since I had upgraded all my mods, patches, and server to Enraged there are cpu/mem throttles too often, 10 second lag spikes, every few minutes or so. If 3-5 people are on their ships, and 1 person is out there with a Laser Mining Drill, the enraged server eats the memory up like there's no tomorrow. I have even reduced the amount of mods on my server by 5-10. (<- doesn't exactly make your players happy :p)

I've done a lot, as far as custom patches, to reduce memory load for certain things, but i'm thinking this is specifically the enraged version.

EDIT: i could not imagine trying to run all of this from linux :p

16. Underbalanced

That and I fix all the mods myself and keep a running list and email the makers of the issues so they can fix it. I have 0 error popups right now for the mods that I have corrected or fixed. I have 60-70 Mods running. Lost count. Mostly race mods.

This does not work, the asset thing is still disfunctional, at least when I tested it.

For us our non modded players have more issues then our modded players. Because they crash without the mods when playing with friends.

17. Only way it's devs at once force the clients to not load mods if they join multiplayer, unless the server also owns the very same mod. If the errors are really caused by them o_O

18. Underbalanced

They did say they are implenting mod syncing soon. But still the peformance will only be as good as the mod maker and or server ownser dedication to maintanance and efficeancy.

19. Yup even that way they still need a way to make clients mods do not affect servers, or even with syncing people with other mods enter server will still result in errors. o_O

20. Jatz

Jatz Subatomic Cosmonaut

If they can manage to do it right, this will be a MAJOR step forward for starbound's MP community.

Because as it stands, I would never host a public server....

One noob with an inventory tweak to hold 10k dirt, drops his stack for you..... pwned.

We definitely need mod synchronization, or atleast a way so that a client mod cannot interact with a server.

Possibly a setup where during MP connection, the client's mod database is flushed, and then reloaded according to a config file in the server.

EDIT: Only problem with things like this is,... how long after this does someone make an in-game mod manager, to hook mods into a pre-loaded client LAWLS