June 12th - Sound it out!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

June 12th - Sound it out!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Heh, you need to build yourself an old-school Foley room: coconuts, waivey saws, makeshift whips, boxed or gravel and broken glass in bags and sticks and clangs and snickety snicked sounds. Then... a big hammer, some mice, and a dapper white suit ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Best sound :V

4. flamingbacon19

flamingbacon19 Big Damn Hero

this sounds awesome! I can't wait to see how combat has changed after the new update is out!

5. DoctorShaggy

DoctorShaggy Void-Bound Voyager

And so Project Starsound begins.

Redtail9898 likes this.
  6. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

You are killing me all these new things but no new updates on steam in beta.

7. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Sounds exciting!

8. legodude2

legodude2 Title Not Found

This sounds great. Keep it up! Also, could it also be possible to assign sounds based on the monster part? Ex: A monster with a big mouth roaring or a monster with a tail swooshing around a bit?

9. chubchubrecon

chubchubrecon Void-Bound Voyager

Having unique monster sounds for attacks is really going to add to the game's atmosphere. I think just as long as you make the sounds organic and not so mechanical ( except for the mechanical mobs ) it will turn out just fine. Especially the attacks where they are hurling globs of green slime at you, make it really sound like it forcing something out of it's throat. It might be gross, but it's realistic to the situation. Maybe take some inspiration from wildlife like frogs.

10. wdalphin

wdalphin Astral Cartographer

That's the cry of a loon.

Jamtoes and Windcaller like this.
  11. 503geek

503geek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds awesome :party:

I do want to cast my vote though to also have ambient sounds for non-aggressive monsters. I think Starbound could really shine if the system for non-aggro monsters was beefed up. Being able to interact with non-aggro monsters such as feeding them or making them pets could be amazing (I think it would be cool if there were foods that were native to a planet that if you gave it to the monster, they would like you more and eventually become your pet or something - I know I saw some news earlier about making farming more robust for people who wanted to acquire pixels that way and animal husbandry could be introduced into that and I think could be very fun).

I suppose I shouldn't go into a crazy amount of detail, but the muse has struck me, so here it goes:

#1. Foods could be more or less available, challenging to find, etc. You might need to keep finding the food (almost like ore hunting). This could be related to the value of the pet. Also there could be multiple foods that they liked more or less and some that they didn't like - the monster would be "tagged" if you had tried to feed it, with some kind of display showing it's like/dislike for you - maybe a non-aggro monsters might become aggro if you messed up, etc. that's probably overkill, but who knows, maybe there is demand from the community for that level of interaction, not sure.
    #2. You could only have one pet slot, or maybe more if you had the right tech, pets would fight for you and could die, etc.
    #3. You could "store" pets with the right crafted structure, they might graze, make offspring or produce some kind of valuable food (the "farming" aspect) at this point you could also select from your farm and swap out the pet in your slot. Going into overkill on this point, different structures might house different species (water, air, land, etc).
    #4. Going totally bonkers (maybe this would be open for a modder and so the bulk of this work wouldn't have to take priority for the Chucklefish devs), you could have a pokemon-esque system where if you bred (or crossbred) monsters they would evolve. There could be monster fights and/or racing with bets on some part of Sector X, etc. etc. It could be really cool.

Optionally, since Pet AI might be a lot of code (not sure if this has been worked on at all yet), maybe they would just go into your inventory or simply follow you but not be involved in battles or targeted by enemies. Like the bunny in Terraria.

But regardless of making a bunch of code and logic for non-aggro monsters, I think it is important for those monsters to still have personality. I noticed a while ago that they seemed to huddle together or sometimes stay near trees or graze (including new head animations) and I liked that addition, it helped immersion for me.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  12. nours77

nours77 Sandwich Man

many game software like rpg maker have a data bank for sounds, free download lots and lots... ( i dl 20 giga pack of attack sound for rpg maker...) not hard to find, hard to select one...
    monsters can roar when he die at less.

13. ThatMadCat

ThatMadCat Phantasmal Quasar

So far it sounds awesome! I like how the new combat system is making so much else that will help with the immersion of the game, and I'm sure you'll all find the sounds you need soon!

I'm just wondering if monsters will make no sounds except when attacking now... It kinda made a little sense when they vocalised among one another.

503geek likes this.
  14. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Cant wait for the next big update =3.

15. REMAINDER_EIGHT

REMAINDER_EIGHT Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ooh! I have some great films you can watch to learn about sound effects

The General
    The Birth Of A Nation
    Rupert Julian's The Phantom Of The Opera
    Un chien Andalou
    Sherlock, Jr.
    Greed
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Nosferatu
    The Gold Rush
    Intolerance
    The Battleship Potemkin
    Metropolis
    City Lights
    The Passion of Joan of Arc
    Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Or, if you would prefer to research in games:

Colossal Cave Adventure
    The Zork Trilogy
    Jewels of Darness
    Rouge
    Nethack

16. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

I watched way too much Monty Python as a kid X3

17. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Yup. Saturday nights were the awesome TV nights for myself as a kid: in the 70s/early 80s PBS played Doctor Who at midnight, then Flying Circus at 12:30. Still one of my fondest childhood memories with my dad, staying up late. I swear, I picked up some idiosyncrasies in my speak because of them brits- I say Tuesday like chews-day... always have.

18. Saith Umbrae

Saith Umbrae Aquatic Astronaut

I think that aggro monsters should still have some threat sound when you approach their alertness distance. Also +1 for ambient sound for non aggro monsters.

19. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

I don't like the whole taking out sound thing, what happened to immersion :/

Fireball14 likes this.
  20. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

This will really make the game feel more alive, so I'm highly looking forward to it. Also I recommend that since you're in England to go mug BBC for some sounds :rofl: no I jest but there is a lot of country side and beaches where you could probably find some amazing sounds. Not to mention bird calls and other wildlife sounds that people in North America probably have never heard before in their life, so it would sound I guess you could say alien. I know this happens to me when I leave Canada and go even as far as the States and hear new birds or sounds. It takes you off guard for a bit, even more so when things look so close to home. So just some ideas, but either way keep up the good work =)