June 12th - Sound it out!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 12, 2014.

1. DirkLarien

DirkLarien Void-Bound Voyager

great news
    people tend to underestimate the sound and music in games
    Thank you for the update

2. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

Great post, don't mind people asking for updates, the longer you take the more we will enjoy it :D

I picture this game in a few years, with it's potential, easily staying as one of the best games ever made.

Keep the good work!

3. ThierryBud2

ThierryBud2 Aquatic Astronaut

I'm really eager for the updates in general, but especially
    for the ship ones.
    I hope they come out soon. You're doing a great job!
    Keep 'em coming!

4. Aeolipyle

Aeolipyle Space Spelunker

Speaking of monsters and sound design, you need to either remove the battle music that starts when you aggro a monster or include an option to disable it. Starbound has a good soundtrack that I was forced to turn off entirely; having it interrupted every few seconds by the generic battle music was simply too annoying. Honestly, it is not even necessary to even have battle music outside of boss encounters.

5. moddownloader

moddownloader Phantasmal Quasar

AIRBLOODVOMIT

Kawa and Owl_Stalker like this.
  6. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Fun times ahead...:party:

At least non-organic creatures will be easier since their sound base can be synthesized to a certain extent. Can't wait to hear what happens next!

And the new projectile sound feature sounds great from a modding standpoint alone, but it will definitely be good for a more immersive random monster generation given there's this plus new part-specific attacks. Yay progression! :love:

7. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

However, it DOES sound a bit out of place to hear a very calm and peaceful music while I'm fighting tooth and claw with a monster. Perhaps we need more neutral soundtracks, that are neither too epic nor too calm and fit just about any ordinary encounter in our exploration and adventures. I actually prefer the peaceful soundtrack to play either while I'm in a village or in my ship... even though its going to tear my heart a little to say goodbye that lovely piece that plays during the night... T-T

8. Captn

Captn Orbital Explorer

'Sounds' great! Keep up the good work.

9. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

Personally, I would like aggro sounds to stay, but also include attack sounds. That annoying grit attacks could sound like a sand blaster. The rock needle attack, in addition to needing to be nerfed badly, could sound like a machine gun.

10. moddownloader

moddownloader Phantasmal Quasar

battle music needs to be fixed

because on planets that have most of the water replaced with acid, a random monster could walk into a puddle of acid and suddenly battle music

11. Frubio

Frubio Yeah, You!

My only concern is to see you guys are giving your blood on it! I loved the idea of the game and the gameplay so far. It is still a diamond in the rough, but the game has so much future! I don't know if you guys are aware of Ernest Cline's book Ready Player One, but I've seen some relation with the game and as it is my favorite book, I wonder if the game will run the same direction, cuz it sure looks like it should :)

12. thehammeredone

thehammeredone Void-Bound Voyager

If you all are rolling some of your own sounds, I found out about this site: http://www.bfxr.net/
    through another game blog I follow, http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/

Between Starbound and Cogmind, I believe I've found all the indie-dev-role-models I could ever need.

Now to just find the time to get going on my own.

Seriously, though, if you didn't know about bfxr and were trying to generate samples, PM me, let me know if I helped! :)
    That site is pretty sweet from the short time I spent creating some sword-smack-sounds.

13. gonzogonz

gonzogonz Phantasmal Quasar

its very nice of chuckle fish to make these sort of posts to keep us updated.

Kawa likes this.
  14. Mister Scoops

Mister Scoops Space Hobo

You should just bring me on as a sound designer. I'm amazing.