17th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Michael217

Michael217 Master Chief

My question is why are we half way into July and still have no July Wallpaper? Is it that you guys forgot? Put the work into other areas atm? Or is it that there would be no need of one because of BETA?

2. Samtarkras

Samtarkras Aquatic Astronaut

My thoughts on fabric is some should come from spider webs (if there is cobwebs)
    some should be harvested from a plant similar to cotton
    animals could provide some leathers and other such furs (skiinning and sheering)
    Other ideas i have......
    merchants ?
    animal drops (like an insect that drops silk or lizard drops scale cloth)
    special tech that creates fabric

If any one sees this (doubtful)

3. LemonGrab

LemonGrab Master Chief

I will happily pay £70 for a beta invite and not regret a penny spent.
    I've honestly never seen content of this quality to be added so quickly.
    This is going to be game of the decade for me, keep up the good work! :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

- regular cloth from plants, i.e. cotton plants or an in-universe equivalent, or from animal hides to make leather (starting stage)
    - Silk from spiders/silkworms (middle stage)
    - synthetic fabrics made using the 3D printer (high-tech stage)

PurpleSquirel43 and Jrocs like this.
  5. EarthlyOdin

EarthlyOdin Phantasmal Quasar

You should be able to find cotton plants in fields and should be able to make silk out of different fibers that you find while depending on the type of planet you are on the animals should drop different types and colors of materials.

riseoflegends and SeroRamai like this.
  6. SeroRamai

SeroRamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guy above me got it about right. Silk, Cotton, Leather, Hide, and probably 2-3 space materials. OH! Luminescent Silk! :D

But basically, go crazy with it. Maybe make clothes that give off light? Or clothing that is luminescent if it absorbs sunlight. I would imagine you could even cut certain tree's that shape out clothing and have a symbiotic relationship with the player. Maybe if you jump in water, it will restore small bits of health for a certain period of time?

Wonder if there could be clothing that gives you buoyancy so its harder to get into water... Boy am I tired.

Toryu-Mau and Axe Garian like this.
  7. Bek

Bek Orbital Explorer

Re: Fabrics - Drops from plants and animals seem like the obvious options, at least for basic materials like wool, silk, leather, cotton, etc. If you want to go really in-depth with it, you can get a lot of really interesting ideas just from reading Wikipedia's "Textile" page, especially the parts about synthetic fibers that we've already developed here on Earth. Seems like something you could get a lot of mileage out of for crafting, i.e. "collect X of each of these minerals to synthesize flame-resistant fabrics in your lab".

8. Ammonite

Ammonite Space Penguin Leader

Amazing idea, wait for it...here it comes.
    The guys who saw stuff about Cubeworld will know this one, you can add pixels you found to certain items and enhance their stats this way.
    Why not make it that, let's say, one piece of silk acutally gives you 4 red pixels to put somewhere on a clear model of your character in some kind of workshop window at a sewing machine.
    Every 4 pixels placed it will subtract one piece of material.
    Of course you would have to create every possible image so far, like the ones you see in the character creator, cause you're creating a whole new piece of clothing, but it would be totally worth it! :monkey:

PurpleSquirel43 and Toryu-Mau like this.
  9. Nylas

Nylas Void-Bound Voyager

There won't be a beta till September. http://comicbuzz.com/2013/07/insomn...-exclusive-public-demonstration-of-starbound/
    They want to show off the game at this convention," London, UK – Multiplay, organiser of the UK’s largest gaming festivals, has today confirmed the world premiere of Starbound from Chucklefish at Insomnia 49, August 23-26th 2013." They can't release a beta before this, but after, if they can show it off to a huge public as this... ... Beta in September.

Axe Garian and andySp like this.
  10. Ishiga-san

Ishiga-san Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I get more and more eager to play with each feature revealed and explained. These systems are just making me tingle with joy. <3

11. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Add flax and cotton plants, silkworms and spiders (and cobwebs) for silk, sheeplike passive mobs for wool. Easy.

12. Walross

Walross Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm, very nice. For fabrics, maybe leather, linen, nylon-equivalent, and some kind of future alloy cloth stuff? maybe a different fabric for each tier.

13. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Fabrics could be acquired through 3d printer by processing different kinds of plant matter. Other than that, aforementioned webs etc. Also, traditionally - bought from NPCs and found as a loot from chests/breakables (in urbanized areas).

As for dyes, I'd like to request more 'earthy' colors - grays, browns etc for those who wouldn't want overly vibrant outfit (for the sake of particular themes, cosplaying characters prefering particular shades, what have you).

14. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yep beta in september

15. Ultimoron

Ultimoron Aquatic Astronaut

Fabrics should be obtained as monster drops. Maybe for lower tier fabrics (cotton, etc.) can be drops from standard monsters. And more fancy fabric (satin, etc.) drops by higher tier monsters.

EDIT: Also fabrics could come from fancy plants.

16. Onion

Onion Void-Bound Voyager

Thoughts on fabrics: I imagine some of the most common materials could be grown (such as cotton maybe?) or dropped from beasts (leather?). I also imagine some of the tougher recipes could require items like antique buttons that drop/are found in dungeons.

17. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

♪ Tiptoe, through the Florans, with me ♪ :D

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  18. Rochelle

Rochelle Intergalactic Tourist

Daily Updates? OMG, why can't other game developers do this?? :love: /wooohooo!!

19. Shadowyc

Shadowyc Void-Bound Voyager

For fabrics, maybe through crafting it by shoving plantlife into the printer and seeing what pops out! Or shove slain monsters into the printer for a sheet of "Morally Questionable Cloth."

xboy777, Toryu-Mau and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Albeo

Albeo Void-Bound Voyager

Using petals to create dyes and mixing them? Will that create a total of six dyes? Or will you be able to mix more of one colour than the other, for instance two blue to one red, to achieve a wider range of tones? And what about black and white, will these be available (and everything in between)?