17th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tokanya

Tokanya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like how you have to travel to certain biomes to get specific plant seed in terraria. which is make sense too considered those flowers fit right in to the environment.

Since you might have to think about farming how about tier for cloth.
    Easy one would be from normal plant therefore tier 1.
    Then hard to get flower or plant would be tier 2 like you know ... Fireblossom ( take me forever to get one )
    and leathers ores oil so on

finally rares drop form Boss? Quest whatever in tier 5 6 7 ?

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  2. Zørrøx

Zørrøx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you know those high rendering outtakes of WoW expansions? I just pictured Starbound being in a 3D high resolution animation. Would be cool if someone made this, lol. By the Starbound Team or an extremely skilled fan.X3 Imagined a detailed grass field with some flowers, a close zoom up on the eyes of a bird in the grass.. Reflection of light in the bird's eyes.. Then suddenly an Explorer beamed down to the planet, raising up dust everywhere as he hits the ground at an excelerated force and wearing an amazing looking suit with some high tech weapon. Birds being scattered away... That's as far as I imagined a Starbound 3D High Rendering Trailer, lol. It would be cool.. xD

Tessitura and tassina like this.
  3. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

The only thing that gets me about the background are the cracks. Are they supposed to be rivers? Some of them are dark.

4. Godzilla03

Godzilla03 Industrial Terraformer

Harvested from Cotton Crops. Simple mechanic. :giggle:

XRiZUX likes this.
  5. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

You could get fabrics made form the hides animals drop, as well as the fibers you can harvest from types of plants

XRiZUX likes this.
  6. masher14

masher14 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There could be crops like cotton for fabrics. Cobwebs would also work. Monster leather? Monster scales? Some kind of monster drop?

Maybe you could 3D Print materials needed? Maybe just for later in the game?

XRiZUX likes this.
  7. Zalgo

Zalgo Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, an armor dying system! My heart is aflutter! With fields of flowers and a singing system in place we can totally act out the scene from "The Sound of Music"!

Ahem, yes. In all manliness though pretty cool update. I think there should be an option to either hand knit all your tailored clothes or synthesize them through a totally masculine machine. Keeps the best of both worlds for everyone's preferences.

Toryu-Mau and XRiZUX like this.
  8. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

*Edit*
    Yeah, I think the red lighting should fit with the sky in the background as well. It would look better that way.
    Never mind, this was the 17th update. I'm not sure what you mean in that case.

9. Dabetus

Dabetus Master Chief

I don't think it's just the cracks. Yeah, those are odd for sure. The really big, dark one on the left is for sure a crack. The others, however, are what look like rivers. Admittedly, I thought they were bolts of lightning at first. There is just a lack of trees and it doesn't necessarily scream African Savannah. It just seems like a rushed background.

10. Krytikal

Krytikal Subatomic Cosmonaut

Tanned animal hide/fur, cotton, hemp. If you want to get reeeal technical you could add ducks for down, and sheep for wool. This opens up the possiblity to make cocoon sleeping bags and parkas for extreme cold-weather environments.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. AirWhale1

AirWhale1 Tentacle Wrangler

There are some amazing backgrounds in this game.

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Fibers?
    Take the dwarf fortress strategy, you can have some kind of loom/wheel that lets you spin metal/cloth from ores/plants.
    That way, you can add EVEN MORE CRAZY COMPLEXITY!
    METAL FOR THE METAL GOODS
    FLORANS FOR MY NEW SHOES
    :viking::zombie::viking:

13. Warrior_Of_Spoon

Warrior_Of_Spoon Master Chief

I think Kevlar should be a craft able material to make things like Kevlar vests, helmets ext. for this particular set of armor it would be better at protecting against projectiles and ballistic firearms than melee weapons, explosives or energy weapons. What do you think?

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

nice work

15. Mayson Davis

Mayson Davis Aquatic Astronaut

A wool ore is a sheep! Is there a sheep emote? :sheep: Nope :(

16. MrNacho87

MrNacho87 Astral Cartographer

How about some planets have these spider silk tumbleweeds that blow past occasionally. You have to hit them or shoot them, they "crack" open and you get the silky reward.

Toryu-Mau and Axe Garian like this.
  17. TheJudge

TheJudge Space Penguin Leader

Tiy, that is an awesome screenshot! Just look at that planet man, you're a genius!

Clothing comes from a loom! :iswydt:

Seriously though, it would be really cool if each race brought something unique to how you obtain mats to make simple cloth, and what kind of cloth you get. Wool, Silk, Cotton, etc.

18. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/2...-exclusive-public-demonstration-of-starbound/

Insomnia won't be until late August, so we probably have to wait AT LEAST until September for a beta. At least that's what is assumed. I don't think they would release the beta before they show a public demonstration.

Update is looking good though! Maybe for fabric, you need to obtain silk from alien silk worms that randomly pop out of dirt patches on the planet's surface? the challenge is that they pop their heads up quickly and you have to be quick to knock them out and harvest their silk?

And maybe better quality fabrics are harder to obtain. Like to get the golden silk from a golden orb weaver spider web you have to kill the spider first, or maybe you have to craft some expensive shears to get wool from sheep. Stuff like that.

19. Iroza

Iroza Phantasmal Quasar

Roses are red, violets are blue. I don't know why, but i will dye.

20. Ammonite

Ammonite Space Penguin Leader

Dear Starbound team,
    [​IMG]
    Never a boring day, always amazing content added, urge to play Starbound rising.
    Why are you so fabulous bastards?
    -Ammonite

Toryu-Mau and Vail0$ivel like this.