16th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 17, 2013.

1. gjgfuj

gjgfuj Void-Bound Voyager

OmnipontentEntity, Please do more blog posts like this. They are amazing. Especially for the few of us who understand code.

2. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My thoughts were the same.

tassina likes this.
  3. faust

faust Void-Bound Voyager

gg

Oddlyinc likes this.
  4. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

:eek: I didn't finish reading it.

5. dante2070

dante2070 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i like how you go into more detail like the coding buts only because i know how to code not like a lot a people who dont.All in all grate update:up:

6. LiamandSammy

LiamandSammy Void-Bound Voyager

Omni, you & Molly are my favourite updaters. The depth of information you give is brilliant, and your humour is awesome. Thanks man :)

Also, because I did read that far "AltHandSmock"

tassina likes this.
  7. Atlas97

Atlas97 Orbital Explorer

I understood some of that code, which I think is cool having only learned code from watching people use the computers that control redstone and other machinery in modded minecraft. I really liked this long and informative update. It gave me some incite into how game development works, and some of the things devs have to go through. As someone who would like to learn how to do this kind of stuff, I thank you. Keep up the amazing work, and take as long as you guys need. The longer you work on this game, the better it gets for me. (Almost forgot, AltHandSmock, though I think that part would be implied because I mentioned the coding bits.)

tassina and Krebtron like this.
  8. MrCheez0

MrCheez0 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whenever OmnipotentEntity does the daily progress...

I just get completely lost.

9. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes! Much love to the artists, but programmer updates are my favorite. So much detail! You code miners love to explain the logic behind everything, and I love hearing about it! Thanks!

10. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wow, lol no one really read the whole thing? It took a while for people to get AltHandSmock.

tassina likes this.
  11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

AltHandSmock.
    Nah i know its gone, but wanted to say so you know that i read it all. IT ALL.

Ruban Crusade likes this.
  12. DevDog

DevDog Master Chief

Holy crap that's a long post...:up:

13. Emerald371

Emerald371 Orbital Explorer

Wow sounds like the game is really coming along! Anyway, about the shift clicking to left-hand / right-hand slots, have you considered using Shift+Left Click for left hand and Shift+Right Click for right hand? I feel like this system would seem smooth and simple to use. Anyway, I love the hot bar so far and keep up the good work! :up:

14. Beeoneack

Beeoneack Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was reading this on my phone at first. Then I scrolled down a bit and thought "hmm, maybe I should wait till I get to my comp" I mean I love these kind of updates they give me something to do while I'm between games.

15. Shinobi

Shinobi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One progress update and beta looks real close, and then you pop things like this, making it seem like beta is quite far, as even basic functionality isn't in yet.

Gah!

16. Masa K.

Masa K. Tentacle Wrangler

Althandsmock indeed!
    I'm very impressed by the coding you've established here. It's really very nice to see your thoughts and see them translated into the coding itself. A very intimate moment for those of us looking in on you developers. I made sure to reread this post just to make sure I got a handle on things, and though I'm just a little confused (my fault, not yours!), I'm by far more impressed than anything. While I'm sure that work you're doing is exhausting and sometimes the payoff seems minimal, isn't it at least a joy to see all that hard work becoming something tangible (or for the sake of working with a medium, workable)?
    Thank you very much for this daily update - it was very informative, and I appreciate it utterly.

tassina and Krebtron like this.
  17. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

I gotta say that I think I'm going to start being wary whenever I see that it's Omni being the one doing the daily update. Is it weird that I think we get even less info from these kind of coding posts than we do from actual short posts? For all of the length and amount of wording in the post, it really doesn't say too much.

That's not to say I think it is unnecessary, though. It is a very neat insight into the programming of the game, and the effort in typing it all out is appreciated.

18. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow. That seems really complicated.

I know it's probably too late and there's a lot of inertia in the current design, but just imagine:

Mousewheel or number keys 1-0 to designate current main hand (right hand) item.
    Shift Mousewheel or Shift number keys 1-0 to designate current offhand item, which gets grayed out if you have a 2hander in primary, or skips over 2handers if you try to select them for secondary hand.

The L and R overlays are floaters on the bar instead of static slots.

Doesn't that sound simple and effective?

Here's a mockup of what I mean:

[​IMG]

krebtron, PabloM and 2.4 like this.
  19. Weegeemang

Weegeemang Pangalactic Porcupine

Ermahgerd so many words!

But seriously. Thanks Omni! I would love more blog posts like this!

tassina likes this.
  20. BrainWart

BrainWart Space Hobo

Great post OmnipotentEntity! I love to see posts like this. Would it make more sense for even the main two slots to change to purple when they're two-handed?