16th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Thanks for your effort, Omni. You really show how seemingly simple features can actually be very complicated puzzles to code for. I sounds like you figured out a really good, elegant solution for this one. One question: is there a button you can press to quickly clear the held item slots, effectively switching back to using your default left/right hand slots? It seems like that would be really handy for combat, instantly drawing weapons, and then setting your held item slots again after the threat is gone.

tassina and Krebtron like this.
  2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Not yet, I mentioned in the post that I was seeking a good example of such a key that would be a useful default.

You can already use X to eXchange the L and R slots, Q throws, E uses.

Maybe F? But that doesn't have a good mnemonic, and it's easy to accidentally hit. Not that this has stopped us before.

tassina likes this.
  3. TheSpoon

TheSpoon Big Damn Hero

Magic.

Ruban Crusade and tassina like this.
  4. DeadlyLuvdisc

R... to Reset your held items.

tassina, Silican Beat and Shade215 like this.
  5. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

maybe T or R? (or perhaps tab?)

6. Silver86

Silver86 Big Damn Hero

aw i was reading all tho i didn't understood 40% of it ;] gz to the pixel key claimer , shame im in other time zone :)

7. Lazla

Lazla Phantasmal Quasar

8. Azurel

Azurel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As a 16 year-old that likes coding, I am absolutely loving these kind of posts. I wouldn't be surprised if you actually are an omnipotent entity :yoda:

ThatMadCat likes this.
  9. Tokanya

Tokanya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about F1 to F12 / Tab or `(grave accent) ?
    also z (for zero?)

sidoaight likes this.
  10. backeby

backeby Big Damn Hero

My favorite daily update so far. I absolutely love the way you went into detail about the functionality and with code examples! Just... Wow!

Made me think of the mod API, excited about writing that documentation Omni? Expecting a great tome!

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

On the topic of control schemes, I hope it won't be a huge problem to have W used for both Up and Jump. In Terraria, the only moments where pressing up did anything were after you already jumped (gravitation, featherfall, wings, etc...), so there were no problems with double mapping them to W. However, if stairs in Starbound work like they do in Castlevania where pressing up climbs the stairs, then it could be a problem. I also wonder how falling through platforms/stairs will work considering you can crouch, because I assume you have to crouch and jump to fall through and that could also create problems with W being both.

So I guess my question is what pressing up will be used for, and if I'd be okay swapping it to spacebar so that W can be jump.

12. KwwB

KwwB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Holy update! Good work!

13. Idea for the which-hand item movement:
    Ctrl+lmb
    Ctrl+rmb
    Great wall of text Omni.

14. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Wow. Thanks Omni, really appreciated. I'd imagine that doing the daily update after a long day of frustrating coding is not a task that anyone in the team relishes, but it's a terrific insight into the realities of development. This update is a really good one, getting into details - I've always found that trying to explain a problem like that to someone else helps me to understand the problem better myself. Same for you?

15. acravasian

acravasian Tentacle Wrangler

damn fine post... glad we are not going to mess around with these kind of bugs in the beta. great work!

16. Lovegun

Lovegun Space Spelunker

Wow great update.. though I only understand a little of the programming stuff haha :rolleyes:

17. APXEOLOG

APXEOLOG Void-Bound Voyager

As for me i'd like to see such hotkeys as:
    SHIFT + LMB / RMB - move selected item into hand slot (depends on what MB was clicked)
    CTRL + LMB - Remove item from inventory (drop ground or trash it ~ configurably)
    CTRL + RMB - actionbar (i cannot understand why do you need it really, do you change your actionbar so often while playing?)

tassina likes this.
  18. JuDelCo

JuDelCo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome blog update. I love the technical details, so much interesting read (as a programmer)

Great work killing bugs and coding magic and dragons for this awesome game

tassina likes this.
  19. ThatMadCat

ThatMadCat Phantasmal Quasar

I love Omni's mega detailed Updates! Keep up the great work team! :DD

20. Hanfree

Hanfree Big Damn Hero

Hmmm interesting...
    Give me da Betaaaaa