October 21st - Terrain Generation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

You make some incredibly indispensable points—I can't thank you enough for highlighting these key concepts so that we may all understand that much clearer what our goals for the furture should be.

please don't ban me

Crazyboy52 and Maxwell Demonic like this.
  2. Samji3877

Samji3877 Aquatic Astronaut

I was more impressed by the cool wind! when did that appear?

3. Giraffasaur

Giraffasaur Big Damn Hero

I agree; my enjoyment of terrain types comes with what's going on in that background.

4. Baleur

Baleur Phantasmal Quasar

Six months since i last checked progress on the game, and we now have ledges. Great. Groundbreaking progress.

5. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

You know what I think when I hear a developer say "when it's ready"?

I think "alright then, let me know when it's finished. In the meantime I'll be here, doing whatever".

Just a thought...

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Ledges. Groundbreaking.

I would frown at the unoriginality of your post, but this kinda made me smirk so...

BloodyFingers likes this.
  7. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Such avant gárde

We are riding at the tip of the spearhead.

We are witnessing the cutting edge of terrain generation...

Ok I'll stop now...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  8. wubbles417

wubbles417 Space Spelunker

Orgasm is most definitely the correct word for this situation.

Oh my...

9. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

and I just met my cringe quota for the month

10. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

Got to say, shouldve taken some ideas from modders. We been doing similar things for ages. Theres even better ideas here. Just take em. Speed up the process. Everybody wins.

EDIT: Still love all the work guise. Keep at it.

Madzai likes this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You know they can't just do that just like that, right?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  12. Ttamage

Ttamage Big Damn Hero

Leave out the first one where you have to jump so much! Smooth terrain or something that keeps me from wanting to quit playing would be nice. I like the third one! Definitely need some cool formations. I would always get the worst maps on Terraria.

How is that!? We got a lawyer here.

13. Xyth

Xyth Void-Bound Voyager

Darude-Sandstorm

14. I was simply asking politely if you'd only speak for yourself, since there are a lot of instances of people talking for whole groups of people. I think the idea of adding spiky terrain is neat personally. I'm not going to claim that everyone loves the idea (since it's clearly not true). It's just something you should consider before posting.

Ttamage and Kawa like this.
  15. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

Keep in mind, if you land on a planet with spikey terrain, you can leave and go to another planet.

M_Sipher and Hatsya Souji like this.
  16. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

Would be cooler if rope and grappling hook "tossed" like a grenade but with different starting speed. So you could throw and attach rope not too far away form yourself or use super advanced grappling hook to shoot it on the larger distance.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  17. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

To make those spikes interesting... Lava fountain within those spikes, or ore spikes, or a combo of ore and lava!

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, this is just one kind of terrain layout that you might find, and one I can't imagine will be incredibly common to boot. Rocky worlds mostly, I'd wager.

One of the major bullet points of the game is variety of planets to explore... and some of them are gonna HAVE to be hard to navigate by design. The current layout of "more or less a big sine wave" needs to be shaken up some.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  19. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Oh, yeah. Ledges. You don't see those too often. And they always come in handy. Nothing works better as a quick refuge than a good ledge. Just add some walls and a door in there. Comfy.

These details is what really shapes the world.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  20. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

Random question, has anyone else noticed in the nightlies the crazy loot pool drop rate now? I was playing the most recent update and trying to hunt down that first chunk of food, and i got a violin and pixels before i ever got food... i eventually got what i needed but still... so strange to shoot a bow into something and have it drop a violin or money instead of meat.

Jafetgx likes this.