1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Your Pixel Art!

Discussion in 'Art' started by B|eak, Jul 6, 2013.

1. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Not to be rude or anything but it looks like you just lowered the resolution of a photo because of all the blur...

beebot83 likes this.
  2. Magikat

Magikat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is not I just like blur

3. Tenvi

Tenvi Void-Bound Voyager

I've only done a couple pixels but since people are sharing theirs I figured I might as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm still not sure where those weird white artifacts came from?? They're invisible on a white BG hah... These were both done for other people as icons, hence the floating C and the CB under the second one.
    [​IMG]
    Aaand a year-old dragon because last year was the Year of the Golden Dragon :p
    I want to do more since it's fun to mess around with but I haven't gotten around to it in way too long x_x

4. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

Wow! Very nicely done!

5. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Paul Robertson guest starred on gravity falls a couple of years ago ( a disney cartoon show)
    [​IMG]
    He made the bonus round and the SSF type of person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

I KNEW THAT WAS HIM!

7. Stingray

Stingray Yeah, You!

Where does one even make pixel art is there like a program, or do you just painstakingly draw it. ._.

8. blitZee

blitZee Void-Bound Voyager

It can be made in the simplest program of them all : MS Paint. The 2most common ways of doing it: You draw your line art first and then add the colors, or you block out the entire piece and then reshape it to your needs. Either way, you'll end up putting pixel by pixel precisely where they need to be. Either way, you pretty much have to draw it all manually. Heck, you know anti aliasing? the thing that makes games look good or the thing that digital drawing programs add automatically? Yeah....you gotta add that manually too in pixel art

9. Stingray

Stingray Yeah, You!

Being on mac, I guess I'll figure something out. Thanks mate.

10. Who-hoo

Who-hoo Big Damn Hero

What do you mean a couple of years ago? The show aired last year.

11. Kage

Kage Void-Bound Voyager

hows this?[​IMG]

12. blitZee

blitZee Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest, it doesn't look like you've put pixel by pixel on this. By the amount of jaggies and the way some lines are drawn, i'm coming to a conclusion that you drew this like a normal painting.
    Now, if we treated this like a proper pixel art, there are quite a few problems with it. Without the aforementioned jagged lines, the shadowing is way off. Most of the shadows do not help represent the shape of some items and instead mostly follow the outlines (i'd say it could be categorized as a type of pillow shading). Furthermore, in places shadowing in un-even (ex. boots). It doesn't really seem that there's one source of lighting, as some shadows suggest the light is coming from the top, others make you think it's coming from the left or the right. The top right part of the piece is quite hard to read and personally, i don't know what it is. Finally, the last thing i noticed is the amount of colors. You don't need so many shades of gray to make a shape look right (or make it look like a gradient has been used on it. Gradients are an evil 95% of the time). If i were any better at pixel art, i could try to fix yours and show you what exactly i changed with it and how to fix a specific problem or two, but i'm not someone like muxaun, dragonith, -JN- or mianso ( these are the greater pixel artists on these forums i can think of atm, i'm pretty sure there's heaps more), so CC is all i can offer right now. Now it all depends on you how you view it and your decision if you'll take it or leave it.

beebot83 likes this.
  13. Kage

Kage Void-Bound Voyager

I spent 3 hours on it ;[

14. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

We've all been where you are; you just have to practice! Don't be discouraged by an early piece; you have to practice. I had to practice; Muxaun, dragonith, -JN- and mianso (and me even though I'm still pretty mediocre) had to practice!

15. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'll probably make a general art post at some point too, but for now, here's some of my older pixel work:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

They're characters and species I'm designing for a game I want to develop.

Also, a little Cave Story remastering I did as practice a while back. (The Terrain was from Cave Story Plus, but Quote and Balrog are all mine.)
    [​IMG]

beebot83 likes this.
  16. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

reposting this here c:

17. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

These are very very impressive!

Cyberguy64 likes this.
  18. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

Quite Nice! The mantis man is my favorite!

19. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

He's my least favorite; mantis's scare me O_O

20. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

You should see the man-mantises.