1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated XS Corporation Mechs 1.05

Adds more mech tech!

1. Xentonic

Xentonic Subatomic Cosmonaut

It will corrupt your save unless you remove it from the slots. Tis is because the game freaks the fawk out because it cannot find the tech and its like "Hey dude we got a problem. Your save is corrupted" And your like
    [​IMG]

2. TShinzon

TShinzon Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's correct, although you could fix this by reinstalling the old version, then removing the techs from your characters in-game, then proceeding with install of new version. Starbound doesn't actually remove those characters, it just doesn't list them in the screen if they're using nonexistent techs.

3. naithaan

naithaan Zero Gravity Genie

i see i was wondering where my dude was at xD

4. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Does this mean you'll have to remake and re-activate all the mech techs you had before with every update?

5. naithaan

Thats what it sounds like

6. TShinzon

You WILL need to remake the techs with this update specifically (after removing them from your character), since it changes the filenames and references of the techs. You will probably NOT need to recraft with other updates as I will probably not be touching filenames after this update. If this is ever not the case, I will make it clear on the mod page and change log.

In general it is good practice to remove the techs from your character tech screen before an update, re-adding them after the update because that is the cleanest way to install an update. That said, most updates you will probably be able to get away with not removing the techs from your character.

7. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Works for me since I was waiting for the Theta before installing this mod~

Winning <3

8. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Has anyone gotten this mod to work on an MP server? I just tried and it's causing all manner of really strange issues...

9. naithaan

Im sure everyone has to have the mod

10. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

That's kind of a given. I've been modding this MP server for weeks now. It's nothing so basic, I assure you.

11. TShinzon

What kinds of issues? I haven't had a chance to play around with MP very much yet.

12. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Well the server and every player on it has the same -exact- mod folder, including this mod. This all works perfectly in singleplayer and up until now this pack has worked fine on our server too. With this mod in particular though when I came onto the server I had the Theta tech equiped to my character and it made me essentially not exist to the server. I was able to play just fine on my end, except things like proximity sensors failed to realize i was there, and my own captured creature acted like i wasn't there either, failing to tp to me or even follow me for that matter. I recognized this as something akin to what you said would happen in the base game if one had the tech on between updating (the game failing to recognize the save file) and rejoined with the tech off. This worked in making me exist on the server. After this i was able to put the tech on, which then caused the server to hard crash. My friend who runs it brought it back up, did some finagling and we tried again. I came back on the server and this time crafted and used the tech blueprint for the Theta mech. This got me so far as activating the mech successfully (my friend able to see me in it properly and all.) but as soon as i activated the jump jets, on his end I disappeared, and the server threw up a ton of errors. This is a screencap of the server he sent me during this latest stage of testing. http://i.imgur.com/Pz5YQfa.png

As of now we are stuck at the point where the mech disappears upon use of any of its abilities, and the server freaks the hell out, though doesn't crash now at least. Its projectiles apparently still show up for other players and can successfully destroy terrain (and kill players in some cases) as you would expect. It just is invisible and makes the pilot invisible as well, permanently until you quit and rejoin the server.

13. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

if you would like I can pm you some info to join our Teamspeak server and Starbound server and we can all work together to test this if you have the time ^^

14. TShinzon

Thanks Zakail, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it sometime. For the moment though I've been doing some testing of my own on multiplayer.

From testing so far I suspect it *might* be an animation issue, based on the logs you posted and the logs I've gotten on my own private server. I (mostly) haven't been able to get the mod to run as successfully as you have though, on my client the game simply crashes when a character with the tech "sees" another character. At one point I was able to verify that projectiles spawn correctly and are propagated between clients but same problem, invisible mechs/player. But since then, like I said, it's been all crashes.

Just to clarify, what kind of things have you guys tried so far? I'm interested in what you all did to get the server semi-stable.

15. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not entirely sure what my friend might have done to the actual files on the server, if he did anything. All i know that affected things was remaking and reusing the actual tech chip while on the server, THEN trying to use the mech. That is what initially moved it from causing crashes to just making the user of the tech invisible to everyone and the server.

16. TShinzon

Would you be able to find out what your friend did (if anything) specifically? I've been trying on new characters, everyone using the tech chip etc. and have still be unable to avoid crashing.

17. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

He says all he did to change the mod was delete the player.config at one point, but he put it back and it didn't go back to crashing.

18. TShinzon

Some observations so far:

Scenario 1: No mech tech equipped on either player
    - Players see each other fine. Everything works.

Scenario 2: Host player (same computer as running server) has any XS mech tech equipped.
    - Client will crash when in same area as Host player.

Scenario 3: Client player has any XS mech tech equipped. Host player does not (if host does, see scenario 2)
    - Client and Host can inhabit same area without crashes and are able to see each other.
    - When Client activates tech, Client becomes invisible to Host. Host is still visible to Client. Particle effects from mech are also invisible; however projectiles spawn correctly and both players are able to see them.
    - When Client deactivates tech, Client continues to be invisible to Host until Client rejoins or loads through another area.

Scenario 4: Client and/or Host have mech tech equipped but are not in the same area.
    - Everything works, although server log spits out the occasional "MapException: index 2 out of range in OrderedMap"

SuperMandrew likes this.
  19. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

sounds about right. 3 is the one we've seen the most of. When 2 happened to us the first time it also crashed the entire server as well, but that was only once that any crashes happened at all before it progressed to 3.

20. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

A note with 4 as well. You might want to check in that if either player who has used the tech actually attracts aggro from hostile mobs, or can activate things such as proximity sensors without hitting 'E' to use them. Anything that would basically verify the server acknowledging the player aside from them blowing shit up.