Dev Blog Witchmarsh: Daily Update #38

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Pirate-rob, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Pirate-rob

Pirate-rob Phantasmal Quasar

Greetings Investigators!

A slow Friday, so not much interesting to talk about, mostly just more message log stuff :)

Today's Progress:
    - Worked on the message logs some more.

I will see you guys again on Monday, thanks for reading!

YesNoMaybeISay likes this.
    • YesNoMaybeISay

YesNoMaybeISay Void-Bound Voyager

Message logs are great. Also, from the screenshot showing the message log that was posted somewhere a while ago, I'm loving the coloured text for names and stuff. Also means that people can take screenshots of message logs to show events that happened to them (e.g. I was attacked by a something at some place! with the combat log)
      One question - How much of the combat is pausing and issuing commands? I know you've cited Baldur's Gate as an inspiration, and that game was very pause heavy I found. Would you say it would be easy to go through the game pausing only occasionally?
      Oh yeah, and (I'm assuming the answer is no) can you have more than one of the same class?
      Sorry for the late Q's.

Tsuruda and Pirate-rob like this.
      • Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Currently the pause commands are broken, so right now, nothing. :D Hopefully Rob will get will working again before the next KS test. Then we should know. I'd also love an auto-pause feature (which could be disabled in options), as I made heavy use of that in Pillars of Eternity.

The answer to this used to be no, but when we left it on for debugging it was actually kind of silly playing as a team of 4x Trappers. So we'll see. :)

Tsuruda and YesNoMaybeISay like this.
        • YesNoMaybeISay

YesNoMaybeISay Void-Bound Voyager

How's combat working without pausing thus far? I imagine it would be pretty mundane at the moment, although correct me if I'm wrong, because:
          a) You could issue commands, but as soon as you issue one the party member would rush off and do it giving you very little time to assemble a team strategy
          b) It would mostly just be default attacks (shooting, melee)

Also, how does having less than 4 characters work? Is difficulty scaled down, or is it essentially a harder way to play the game?

Oh, and playing with 4 Trappers sounds like fun.
          Sorry for all the questions lately, I just like game design/theory.

Tsuruda likes this.
          • Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

It definitely feels a bit hectic right now. I'd like to restore them as quickly as possible. :) Pausing at least works in combination with potion drinking and first aid, at the moment, which helps a little bit. We really need a move command, too, as the boss we're working on has a nasty area of effect spell.

Difficulty (and XP) won't be scaled according to party size - so 1-2 party size challenges could be a thing.