1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Wineskin wrapper for Mac

Discussion in 'Support' started by DandoCalrissian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Valkensyr

Valkensyr Void-Bound Voyager

Hey DandoCalrissian!
    So there's this problem I have with actually running the game. I might have left something but I don't really know the cause.
    Somehow, even if I have done everything, the moment I run the game, stuff pops up, then it say "Running" on the my game list, then "Syncing", then just stops. I've pressed the play button multiple times but it just won't actually run.

And also, just in case anything like this pops up in the log, I force quit the Steam.exe because it just won't close.

I also want to apologize if this is just some sort of stupid issue. Sorry if it is!

Attached Files:

• spiritslive99

spiritslive99 Void-Bound Voyager

Your post is awesome, and I really hope it works for someone, but the issue with me is that for some reason dotnet35sp1 will not install on my computer. Winetricks freezes and crashes without fail every time I try, even if I delete my old install of Stardew Valley. Thank you for the guide, though, and I hope some people manage to make it work for them- this game has a lot of great mods out there!

• Deekkru

Deekkru Void-Bound Voyager

I hope it helps someone too! As for your game, have you tried using dotnet20sp2 instead? The user whose recommendations I followed said they weren't sure if the 35sp1 made a difference or not, so maybe the 20sp2 would work just as well?

• ariastie

ariastie Space Hobo

Thank you, Frisacra, for your instructions! I was having the same problem and that fixed it.

My problem now is with the save file. My game keeps crashing on the file I already have. I saw that someone else had this problem and tried the suggestions for it (converting it to an executable file, which it already was), but it still crashes. I made a new save on my Mac to test and it does not crash. I wish I felt okay just starting a new save and being done with it, because the game does work now, but I have already put around 40 hours into the save file I have and really can't part with it. Does anyone know how to make the save I started on Windows work with Wineskin?

I've been messing with this for hours now and every time I feel like it's about to work it crashes again, so please, if anyone started on a Windows and managed to get their save file working let me know how you did it! :(

Thanks! :)

• spiritslive99

spiritslive99 Void-Bound Voyager

Sadly, I know from my original trial runs that it doesn't. The 35sp1 is crucial to running mods- if you use 20sp2 and follow the rest of the steps, SMAPI will crash upon startup- so that's a dead end. Thank you though!

• shadowcat_99

shadowcat_99 Void-Bound Voyager

just created an account to say thanks for the help now i can waste my life happily with stardew

• LadyC

LadyC Void-Bound Voyager

I just wanted to share my experience here in case it helps anyone. I have had two incidents that triggered repeated crashes and both times it involved me quitting abruptly near the end of the day (the first time I was desperately unhappy with the way the day turned out, the second time I was coming back from the mines and the bloody cat was sleeping right in front of the door and I couldn't get to the bed; I was so irritated I shut it down before I passed out). Initially I thought it was a mod I had installed, but it's definitely not. The good news in my case at least is that my save was not affected, even though it had crashed only when I tried to load that game. I backed up my save to my documents folder on the Mac (not inside Wineskin) and rebuilt the wrapper from scratch, put the save back and things have seemed decent since then. I also observed the flakiness of it not finding *any* saves during the few days I was struggling with it after one of the ragequits, but again, that seems to have gone now that I'm freshly rebuilt. It seems strange that any corruption would be with the game itself and not the save data, but I can at least confirm this behaviour happened twice; it was only a few days after the second time that I put together that it also happened after the first abrupt quit.

I hope it helps someone, but if not, I will just finish off by saying thanks to the OP for working this out. It's brilliant! :)

• scrubmatic

scrubmatic Space Hobo

Like LadyC, after initial success, I had problems with Wine crashing whenever I tried to load my game. My solution was:

Make sure your save file/files are there. If not, I'd keep restarting until they show up again to be safe. Then, press back to get to main menu and start a new game with a new character. It should load into that game no problem. Quit out, and now your other save file/files should work too.

I'm guessing that making a new character rewrites the savegameinfo file, which might have gotten corrupted.

• AkimboDigital

AkimboDigital Void-Bound Voyager

Does anyone know how to access saves? I can't seem to find them.

• Tyrant24_

Tyrant24_ Space Hobo

Im getting this error when i try to press run in winetricks

Attached Files:

• allureish

allureish Orbital Explorer

Having a tiny issue. Last night I downloaded everything and it worked wonderfully. I played for close to 5 hours straight. My issue now is I can't open it up again this morning. When I click on the wrapper icon it pullls up the wine program where I downloaded things last time. I can't figure out how to get back into the game. Did anyone else have this issue? Or know how to fix it?

• Eapolis

Eapolis Space Spelunker

You're a legend! I just installed it and SMAPI + Stardew is now working flawlessly! Cheers!

• kid0mega

kid0mega Space Hobo

So I've run into a bit of an annoying dilemma involving saved files.

I followed all the steps, played for an hour or so then saved and closed the game. I came back to the game, went to Load and none of my saves were there. I deleted all the files and started the process again. After I got the executable file connected, loaded up Steam and Downloaded the game I followed the steps and confirmed that everything was working properly and my previous loads were there! I exited everything, followed the rest of the steps, went back into the game and the loads were once again gone.

Any ideas what to do?

EDIT

I've managed to find a temporary fix. By going into the package contents and loaded up the wineskin application and clicking "Test Run" I'm able to open the game with my saves there, but once I've exited everything and click on the icon to open it up regularly, the saves are gone.

• LadyC

LadyC Void-Bound Voyager

kid0mega, I have had no trouble accessing my save since I created a second save. Start a new game, pick any old bits for your character, skip intro, and then quit and reload. I've been running fairly steadily since my last post a month ago. My only gripes is the game occasionally crashes when I try to see the train passing by (happened twice or three times out of many trains), and my Spa simply does not work. Other than that, with the second save I am not having to hold my breath each time the game loads to see if it will be there (sometimes trying two or three times would do the trick), and it even seems to tolerate abrupt quitting without breaking the whole wrapper.

The question now is, am I brave enough to add SMAPI? We'll see! There are definitely things that would be more enjoyable with mods.

• kid0mega

kid0mega Space Hobo

Interesting, it worked! What the hell o.o

annia316 likes this.
                                • annia316

annia316 Void-Bound Voyager

For me the problem with disappearing savegames was long gone.
                                  Yesterday it turned up again with following Error Log in the User Folder. Hope anyone can help?

Attached Files:

• annia316

annia316 Void-Bound Voyager

This worked for me too for a while .. but not anymore :(

• greenw

greenw Space Hobo

I can't run the dotnet40 file. It gives me an error code 127. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Callieen

Callieen Yeah, You!

I've ran this about 8 times and it works up until the last step! Right as I start to run Steam Wineskin does the "not responding." The game installs and runs perfectly, but I guess Wineskin cuts out and doesn't "save it." Any help would be amazing! I feel like I can do all of the other steps with my eyes closed, I've done it so much!

• Karax93

Karax93 Space Hobo

Hi Dando!
                                          I have a problem with preparing the wrapper. I clicked all the necessary winetricks (or whatever they're called) und ran them. But that was about four hours ago and it's still running. Is that normal? It also says "Uknown error (127) in the last line. Maybe I made a mistake?
                                          I also tried running them one by one but it still runs forever.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016