1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

"Windows can't find the file 'C:\Programs'

Discussion in 'Support' started by Perffiath, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Perffiath

Perffiath Yeah, You!

I get the above error message after trying to start Stardew Valley. I had tried to mod with SMAPI, and apparently broke something. This message is after uninstalling SMAPI, the two mods, and the game, reinstalling (Game only) and then following a "how to fix your game" thread on steam forums.

at this step of the steam thread:
    Delete Stardew Valley startup_preferences.
    1. Go to:
      %AppData%\Roaming\StardewValley
    2. Delete startup_preferences.
    3. Start Stardew Valley.
    My computer says %AppData%\Roaming\StardewValley isn't in there... So I can't progress on that "fix"

New information. I think it may be a steam issue (although they disagree) because when I navigate to the stardew valley folder and click on the application file itself (the .exe?) it starts!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
    • Mizzion

Mizzion Phantasmal Quasar

Are you trying to start the game through the Steam Library? And if so, did you set the launch options while installing SMAPI? Maybe it would be better if you posted a screenshot of the error, so that we can see exactly what you see when you're trying to run SDV.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That error happens when you forget the quotes in the Steam launch options for SMAPI. If you removed SMAPI, you can just blank the Steam launch options to fix it.

• Perffiath

Perffiath Yeah, You!

I have done that already...

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Can you post a screenshot of your Steam launch options?