1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be any controller support?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by VerinSC, Jul 23, 2016.

1. VerinSC

VerinSC Void-Bound Voyager

Apparently the game will be released on consoles so I'm wondering if and when will we be getting controller support for the PC?

Yes I know about xpadder/pinnacler or any other keybinding software

No I will not "get gud" with a keyboard and mouse

No using a controller does not kick me out of the PC master race club , so what, I prefer gamepads to keyboards

I prefer it when games have implemented control schemes as they can map several functions to the same button, create radial menus and all of that cool stuff

Thanks if anyone has an answer :)

2. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Fixed that for you :)

3. VerinSC

VerinSC Void-Bound Voyager

FTFY2

4. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Shhh, former club member, it's okay.

5. el_diabolo

el_diabolo Aquatic Astronaut

Controller support would be nice indeed. I guess since they announced Starbound for consoles there will be a option for controller later. But i have to say i rather have a good working support for mouse/keyboard than a mess like in Fallout 4.

Btw since my pc stands in the living room connected to a good monitor and soundsystem i enjoy playing with an gamepad more and more.

6. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Agreed. Controller support would be amazing. I'm trying my hardest to get my girlfriend to play computer games with k/m but she uses a controller in any game that allows it. And quickly stops playing or expresses her dislike for games that don't allow controlers. So far borderlands is the game we've had the most fun with so far and an exploration sandbox with controller support would make our day. I know it's in the works, and like the OP said, i know about joy2key and all the other quick fixes out there but official support will beat 3rd party every time. If this could be a priority i think it'd allow it to hit a much bigger audience.

7. nex86

nex86 Void-Bound Voyager

well now that I preordered my GPD Win handheld which has a real Windows 10 PC OS and a xinput compatible controller I'd like to play Starbound on the go with that ;)

[​IMG]

wtfdamnut likes this.
  8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There will be controller support, since they are adapting Starbound to the consoles. IIRC they said PC will get the support as well. No word on when that will be.

I wouldnt expect much from that. It is using an Atom CPU and no dedicated GPU, so its performance will be... less than steller. Starbound WILL struggle with it. I guarantee it.

9. nex86

nex86 Void-Bound Voyager

I ran starbound on my Netbook (also Atom CPU) with a reduced resolution like 1024x600 just fine.
    I had to run it in fullscreen because window mode lagged badly though.

10. scraps674

scraps674 Space Hobo

Steam in home streaming. and I saw a video and it was running a newer batman game at like 40 fps

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They said they wanted to play on the go, so in-home streaming is out of the question.

Further, I have a few Intel compute sticks,(First and second generation) which are comparable in hardware specs, and outside of really basic games, it is just not very good for gaming at all. This thing is one of those devices that sound good on paper, but in practicality, do not live up to their promise, like so many other crowed funded devices.