1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fans are upset about Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Critwrench, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigTeef

BigTeef Aquatic Astronaut

There are people online who are far smarter than me will tell you how wrong you are for me.
    I don't need imaginary stats to call out bullshit.

You go to the counter of your favorite store and you give the clerk 10$ and ask for a list of items.
    He takes your money and then tells you "Stop being entitled."

He then proceeds to stare at you, you leave the store angry and confused.
    Two months later you get a pack of cigarettes and a stick of gum in the mail.

Jim Jones, Pingeh, Kanthel and 3 others like this.
  2. Fyreflyte

Fyreflyte Pangalactic Porcupine

Not at all. I said nothing about happy. I said people that weren't angry. Additionally, statistically speaking, satisfied customers don't tend to speak up nearly as much as upset customers do. Which makes actual metrics hard to calculate. But I see plenty of happy people on these forums; they're just (more wisely than I) staying out of this thread =P

Noobih and Middleman93 like this.
  3. Roxy

Roxy 2.7182818284590...

This is really killing me. On one hand I want to laugh but then I realize you're actually being serious.

1. You are not considering the hundreds of people who have cancelled their preorders due to expectations not being met, changes in game direction and so on.
    2. People do not have to voice their anger to be counted in your horrible, pain-inducing formula. In fact, being concerned/angry with a game is something which is shunned by many on the official forums (as seen in this thread) which discourages people from posting and encourages people to say nice things and participate in the hugbox.
    3. I don't think you understand that the number of angry people isn't even significant. People here are giving constructive criticism (not all the posts, but most), people are trying to improve the communication. The only thing which is insignificant right now is people like you which just can't help themselves saying "STOP BEING ENTITLED, DON'T INSULT OVERLORD TIY, HE'S OUR GOD" when all we're trying to do is discuss things. You're like that odd cousin which comes in to people's houses and starts shouting and demanding to play games, it really is annoying.

lou102, Jim Jones, DaviDeil and 6 others like this.
  4. rustybeats

rustybeats Void-Bound Voyager

Damn man that's a really funny post.

Vanishing likes this.
  5. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

It seems like you can get into everybody's head and check their "not angry/angry" toggle.
    "statistically speaking"...are you kidding me?

6. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

That isn't how you do estimates or percentages. You can't use the 80,000 preorders in your percentage, because you don't know all of their thoughts on the game.

If you were trying to take an estimate of how many people in the world like green vegetables, but you only asked a few thousand of them, only half of which said they did, would you throw the other 6.9 odd billion that weren't asked into the "don't" category and chalk green vegetables as disliked worldwide? Surely, you wouldn't, because that would be ridiculous. But that is what you are doing here. Take the 80,000 backers out of your equation. You aren't being at all scientific or mathematically correct with your evaluation of the backer-population's thoughts towards the game.

What you need to do, if you want your seemingly random numbers to be respected, is compile a list of everyone that posts on the forums, get the average amount of "positive" vs "negative" posts made by each person, decide who stands on which side towards the game, and weigh all of those numbers against each other, but keep them only structured with posters on these forums. Set a control for your little number experiment here, or else it shall be forever assumed to be chump-mathematics and won't be taken but with a grain of salt.

7. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

We are expecting that processing the feedback from beta and adding more content will keep us busy for a long time. Also the goal is more to have lots of update than one big final release anyways.

8. BigTeef

The I can't see them, they don't exist argument is actually counter productive.

What I would have said is to ask to prove how many people who are dis-satisfied and demand a list with names on it.

Then you can start with your stats, seeing as you have an actual number to work with.

Jim Jones and Pingeh like this.
  9. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

Final release doesn't mean not putting out updates, Bartwe. Come on, we all know that you know better than to pull a political answer like that. Final release means ready for the general public; Not beta.

10. Critwrench

Critwrench Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So rather than there being a concrete 'this is it, we can call this release' date, things will just keep rolling when beta releases? I see. Thank you very much for the straight answer.

11. Vanishing

I hope this isn't repeated or rude, but I remember seeing someone on the forum saying you mentioned no to both September and October beta release, I am wondering if that is true.

12. rustybeats

rustybeats Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly you should focus less on beta, more on making a functioning game for the public. Look at minecraft and bethesda games.

13. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Political answers is what happens when its a 100 to 1 discussion with emotions mixed in.

lou102, WoxandWarf, Noobih and 6 others like this.
  14. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Hey i can name a date and it would turn out to be wrong.

15. Vanishing

Yes, Detaill seems pretty emotional, but why?
    Also I don't see this as a 100 to 1 discussion, more like 50 50.

16. BigTeef

I only see potentially 20 people?
    Maybe?

If you enabled the counter at the bottom, it will tell you how many people are viewing this thread at the bottom.

17. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

We recognize that some people are not entirely happy, but at the same time we can't force the game to be ready.

WoxandWarf, Ghenta, M C and 6 others like this.
  18. Arrem

Arrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd prefer that over you never naming a date at all.

19. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

:) Emotions happen on my side too, after a hundred positive post a single negative one can still ruin your day as a dev.

20. BigTeef

You could allow alpha testing.
    Alpha testing will actually help you guys plenty.

Beta is one thing, but alpha testing is actually meant to be broken.

Pingeh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.