1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fans are upset about Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Critwrench, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

It surely can, but if this were the case, they should have no problem reiterating it, when asked. Instead, they completely ignore the question entirely.

2. Fyreflyte

Fyreflyte Pangalactic Porcupine

The ratio of upset to non upset fans is still quite low. The vast majority of people who preordered are sitting by patiently, most of them not even reading the forums. As eloquently worded as the OP was, his sentiments, and those of the rest agreeing with him are rife with entitlement and lack of experience with game design cycles. I hope this is a thread CF never sees, because it's unproductive and insulting.

Trowzers likes this.
  3. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Yep, this is pointless. I don't even know why I bother with people like this, it's obvious they'll never learn.

Carry on griping over non issues, and proceeding to defend them with paper thin reasoning.

Trowzers likes this.
  4. rustybeats

rustybeats Void-Bound Voyager

I really, really, really, REALLY just want to tell you to fuck off right now and read it again with an open mind but that would be rude and I don't want either of us to waste our precise time with well worded arguments that would take too long and too much brain power to read. I'm sure they're working hard and other people believe this as well but don't the blog updates seem like they don't really tell you anything most of the time? We aren't idiots who don't know making a game takes a long ass time to do but most devs have the common sense to hype up fans with real big shit instead of talking about how they worked on bugs today or worked on AI more and I hate to refer to terraria again but look how hyped everyone is for that and how much they showed. People don't want simple little trivial shit or "soon :)" people want solid things that look as impressive as the concept and talk of the game it's self.

5. Critwrench

Critwrench Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're entirely welcome, Bart. I just want more real communication about these things. If you want to sum up my OP, that is what it sums up as. As a team, just keep us posted on how close things are getting to beta, or if the team feels things are being pushed back, or what sorts of times or dates or problems or progress happen. There are too many important questions floating around, and there needs to be more official answers.

Zody and Gaikang like this.
  6. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

You are ignoring the fact that Blizzard is producing products much larger than starbound, and also the points OP is trying to make the lack of real communication from starbound's side, not just some deadlines(in fact they did, but it kept changing).

Pingeh likes this.
  7. BigTeef

BigTeef Aquatic Astronaut

See this is what I am talking about.
    We need more people like Bartwe who voice how they are feeling, and are honest about it.

So I am going to ask, do you agree with how things are being run?

Jim Jones and Pingeh like this.
  8. rustybeats

Because constructive criticism and showing that we are worried for this projects well being is a bad thing and everything is bad and anyone who says anything "negative" is a big nasty troll who should go home to their cave.

Jim Jones, Pingeh and Zody like this.
  9. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're welcome! :)

Trowzers likes this.
  10. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

pointed question then. If you had not gotten as much funding as you had.. but the game would be out in 2013 nomatter what.. how is that possible if the game is STILL coming this year at the end.. WITH all the supporter backing you gained through preorders?

It seems like regardless of if you worked or not, we didn't speedup development if that is the case. Its nice you didn't have to, but what did it do for Starbound itself if it still wont get here till late regardless? Not you.

I'm sure your great guy Bartwe and glad we could help, but that actually doesn't answer the question.

Jim Jones, Gikkomelma, Pingeh and 3 others like this.
  11. Vanishing

Where did you get your stats about the ratio? Wake up please.

LeifGram and Gaikang like this.
  12. rustybeats

Because you've shown a lot of reasoning in your opinion as well.

Vanishing likes this.
  13. Roxy

Roxy 2.7182818284590...

You're also entitled for being genuinely concerned about a product you paid for, don't forget that part!

Jim Jones, Pingeh and rustybeats like this.
  14. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

To be fair, Bart was the only one being realistic about release dates back when he first joined. He was the first to say that it wasn't going to be ready any time soon and stuck to his guns. Should check out one of his streams some time. He's very candid about this type of thing. He even talks about expenses and the likelihood of financial concerns in the near future.

Galahaund, Trowzers and Detaill like this.
  15. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

I have to agree here, Bartwe. You've completely sidetracked the post, and did exactly what the post was about: ignoring the real questions.

Vanishing likes this.
  16. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Every change is a step towards release. And we have clearly said that the beta will arrive this year. beyond that programming is always more work than you imagine.

17. Vanishing

I like how your reply to bart quickly got deleted, didn't even have a chance to thumb it up.

Zody likes this.
  18. hartraft

hartraft Space Spelunker

Reconfirmation that the BETA will be out this year.

As I said...Until I hear otherwise this is now, and what I was, expecting :)

Detaill likes this.
  19. Critwrench

Critwrench Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A second question that would clear up some more controversy: Is release still slated for this year as well? Many people have been confused about whether or not it is 'just' beta that is slated for 2013.

And I have always imagined programming to be much like scalping yourself on a sharpening stone. Tedious, painful, and bloody, but you make a mark on something when you're done.

Detaill likes this.
  20. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, I'm not. I pointed out that while the studio was small (ala indie), they also had trouble meeting deadlines. They were not always big, the Diablo series was done by a smaller studio called Blizzard North. My point is that forecasting development timelines is incredibly difficult and I've experienced it from the forecasting and grunt side for a variety of software fields. Software deadlines change, period. How much of this consumers see based on the PR stance of the company.

Trowzers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.