1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why pick human?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shminx, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Shminx

Shminx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unless you're the lorewriter, I doubt you have a way of comparing that ... Neither you or I have a way of knowing which race has the most of a trait to mark it as a 'main' trait, which stands out comparatively to other races (It might just as well be another, carried by some, not by others, through the rule of diversity).

Here, you attributed a "main characteristic" as well. That implies that it is not, in fact, as present in other races and stands out with humans. Again, if you feel that way, that's fine. But neither you or I know the truth of that statement. I mean, why wouldn't a Glitch do that either? Because of the medieval preconception? Because they're stupid? Because durr?

... Excuse me? 'High Horse'? :DD I wasn't trying to be judgemental. I thought that showed. I'm sorry if I made a bad impression. All I'm trying to do is understand. Arguing about things where my mind still doesn't, will help the process. Please, do play human for all it's worth! I really don't mind nor care. :giggle:

2. Pardos

Pardos Pangalactic Porcupine

...I'd say that this bipedal cartilagineous fish is... not really a gentleman. She is not saying it's a bad idea, she wants to know why it isn't.

3. Pardos

Well, I simply say so because that is what the behavior of humanity is IRL too. There is really not much to say about the human race: they are just... us.

4. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When did I imply that Shminx was saying it's a bad idea?
    I just feel that the way she is replying to all the reasons she has gotten to be rather rude and negative towards the person who said their own opinion on the races.
    Ha, if you knew me in real life then that would not be the case, good sir.

5. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

Because Lord Garithos commands it!

6. Pardos

...I personally don't feel that way. I think that the root of any good argument is a good counter argument, and she is providing it.

7. Mad Dok Edvaardz

I agree with you, but there is a line between counter argument, and just downright rudeness of opinion.

8. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

A lot of people like being a human, and dislike the oddities of being an alien.
    In other words, some people like to be normal rather than all hipster.

But I understand what you are saying. Floran, Glitch, and Hylotyl are all really cool and do make it hard to imagine how someone could be a human. :)

9. Pardos

...and she has not crossed it.

10. Mad Dok Edvaardz

In your opinion.
    You see, something not bad to you is different to me, as our personalities and tastes differentiate.

11. Profound Madness

Profound Madness Big Damn Hero

Speaking from a roleplayers perspective. Usually developers give an entire race a certain personality, this may very well be the case with starbound and thus playing as a human (since we all know how every human is a special little snowflake) might come of as a better option. What I've seen of the lore thus far has been very interesting, but it will be even more interesting to see what happens at launch, does every single NPC you meet feel like "yet another florian"? Does every character of a race have an innate attribute that makes them all seem bland? I hope not. But we really have no way of knowing whether or not the devs manage to give each race, not a set personality but each character a personality based on the trials and tribulations they have been through in the past.

Edaniel and Shminx like this.
  12. FireStrike

FireStrike Star Wrangler

i like to role play as myself first than change to other race is there even a lore for the human at all i never see it ?

13. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because there's a chance I'll be enslaved by a sexy floran? :V

14. Pardos

...I know several nice floran girls. That's why I always have a C02 laser in my pocket. And no, that wasn't a bad joke.

15. TheKillerNacho

TheKillerNacho Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Obvious answer: They want to play as themselves?

16. Profound Madness

Profound Madness Big Damn Hero

No floran with even a hinge of respect for themselves would enslave their food! That would only serve to spoil the fun of catching it.

Dagorran likes this.
  17. Humans allow us to better imagine ourselves as our character. And if you don't fancy the other races, Human is pretty much the default.

18. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Well the Floran can try, but any Human worth his salt would easily kill and probably prepare a Caesar salad out of a Floran.

Noobih likes this.
  19. Pardos

Trust me, it's harder than it sounds. Beating a floran in hand to hand combat is hard, and even with most melee weapons it's still an achievement. If you have a C02 laser (just 10 bucks on the black market), you should be fine.

20. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Not so much for Starbound, but I always pick Humans in other games, because they look... Normal?
    Someone not getting why I'd pick a human is probably the same as me not understanding why people pick those god awful Argonians in Skyrim. I'll prob pick a Novakid for Starbound because I want to be a humanoid lightsaber.

Other than that, it doesn't matter to me at all.. It's just pixels. I'm not one for lore, and roleplaying and all that.