1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why meteors should be left in the game as is, and a theory.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raybrandt, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

Entertainment value.

WARNING: REALLY LOUD.

Thanks Tiy for the video!

I've been slammed with these before. I laughed as well. Am I the only one who finds it comical to watch hell rain down? Yeah, it's brutal to watch everything you built blow up. But god damn if it isn't great to watch.

It also promotes rebuilding. Also, I'm guessing the meteor dropped because of a nearby asteroid belt. Could those influence how meteors drop? Maybe it's a small asteroid that broke loose from the group?

2. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Of course stay in game since they say a way to detect planets with them will be added one day.

Serenity and Locklave like this.
  3. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, not funny at all. The last thing in the world I want as a builder for an online server is to have to rebuild anything for any reason. That's no different from having a feature in a game that could randomly set you back 5 levels.

I'm fine with meteors. I'm not fine with them having a chance to happen on every planet. Also not fine with having no way to scan a planet for natural disasters.

I'm sure servers will be able to turn them off, so no worries. But that video right there is why I will never build on a planet. And I can't imagine that was CF's idea.

Cellbind, Diodoron, Teih and 5 others like this.
  4. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

They should stay in game, but they really shouldn't be in the Alpha Sector. Starting on a planet with frequent meteor showers or acid rain is kinda ass.

Elate, Jbeetle and gameboytj like this.
  5. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

I can support not having them in Alpha sector, at the very least.

Plus, there'll be a warning later on when you scan the planet with your ship that says "YO THERE'S FUCKIN METEORS HERE THAT SHIT CRAY" so this doesn't happen on a seemingly COMPLETELY random basis, so that'll help quite a bit.

Tamorr, Scarletting, Serenity and 2 others like this.
  6. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

I would LOVE more options with the meteors. For instance only having them in solar systems with meteor biomes (I believe someone already mentioned this when meteors first came out), that way people can choose whether they want to deal with that or not. OR having some sort of shield generator, saw that idea around here as well. I'm always a fan of options.

gameboytj likes this.
  7. Autumn Saber

Autumn Saber Big Damn Hero

I don't care either way, as long as their is some way to tell that the planet you're about to beam down to has them.

Cellbind and Disig like this.
  8. jhnnybgood

jhnnybgood Space Penguin Leader

Basically I think they're fine as is. It forces you to really research a home planet, spend some time there and make sure it wont get smashed to bits. That's obviously under the assumption that these meteors are part of a weather pattern. If they're completely random, that needs tweaking. I for one have never seen any weather at all (except for cold at night) on my home planet, and I've easily spent 20+ hours there. I'm expecting this planet to be free from these massive meteor strikes. If it's random though..... I won't like that haha. There needs to be a warning system then.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    gameboytj and ilis like this.
  9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Aye -
    Right now the numbers are a bit finicky

Meteors do about 150 damage
    Most tile blocks have a health of 10. - 40.
    Which is why even if you build your base out of steel blocks it gets destroyed.

But the problem comes if you increase the block health, you also need to increase all the tools damage.
    So its a constant game of balance of numbers.

Tamorr and gameboytj like this.
  10. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Huh?

I was under the impression that every planet has both a standard and unique weather pattern. When I land on a planet, if the first unique pattern is not a meteor or acid shower then I consider it safe to build.
    My current home has normal rain and then a slow falling snow like pattern, have yet to suffer a meteor there.

If it is a random chance on all planets then I could agree it could use some tweaking, but if it is indeed a set event then I don't really see the issue.
    If you built on a planet without getting a feel for it's weather patterns then I would assume you learnt your lesson the first time. if not....well, there is only one person to blame

11. jhnnybgood

Well minimizing meteor damage would eliminate the need to change tool damage, right?

Thorin likes this.
  12. Autumn Saber

Autumn Saber Big Damn Hero

I spent 4 hours on my home planet and didn't see a single meteor, then BAM. Luckily the meteor mod exists.

13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If you minimized meteor damage what would happen is a large meteor hudles at the sky toward you. You stand still and loose about 1 1/10th of your health. When a meteor hits you.

14. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Acid rain really isn't that bad.

ilis likes this.
  15. jhnnybgood

Well I mean honestly I'm kinda concerned. I've seen NOTHING for weather on this planet, and like I said, between the gardening and building and stuff I've done on this planet, I'm easily above 20 hours. If I get struck by one of these world enders, then I know it's a random generated thing. That is where I think it becomes somewhat shitty. You should have the ability to build SOMEWHERE without that threat, ever.

16. jhnnybgood

I would imagine keeping the scaling relative to the player and terrain separate would be "easy" enough. I dunno, these giant meteors definitely add some thrill to the game, but somehow either warning the player, allowing the player to defend against it or both need to be implemented a little better.

17. ilis

ilis Phantasmal Quasar

can meteors actually get that big
    i have only ever seen them small

18. Vandrick

From what I understand it's a percent thing. So even in the low 2% chance of it happening, you could spend two months playing thinking your world has no meteors. You could have almost the entire surface covered in detailed buildings...then BAM!

Like I've always said. I LOVE LOVE LOVE meteors. I love the excitement of exploring a planet that has them. But instead of every planet having a chance to have them, what they need to do is simply give us awesome incentive to explore planets with heavy meteor strikes. Maybe a LOT more unique resources or materials? Maybe better loot and items? I'd much rather decide for myself to brave the planets with the big booms. The risk is the fun part. Right now, there's no incentive, and all the risk is for stuff you can get on a planet that hardly gets hit. That's what I think they need to do for meteors.

Basically, having some planets 100% free of meteors is incentive to build and settle the planet. A safe home. Having planets with higher meteor strikes and HUGE ones = dangerous exploring but a bigger reward. So yeah, they shouldn't definitely stay in the game. But absolutely NOT the way they are implemented now.

gameboytj and jhnnybgood like this.
  19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

All they have to do is add a "WARNING- METEORS OCCUR ON PLANET" label on the planet select screen and it's all good.

Meteors themselves are fine as is. It's the out of the blue mechanic that, paired with the inherent flatten everything power they have, makes them such a pain in the ass.

20. Vandrick

Didn't you watch the video in the OP?

jhnnybgood likes this.