1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Month would you think Beta is going to start? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by CrimsonWingzz, May 15, 2013.

?

Which month do you think Beta is gonna be out?

1. May

49 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. June

353 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. July

403 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. August

265 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. September

143 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. October

54 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. November

23 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. December

112 vote(s)
    8.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

The way you keep such a serious grudge over the internet like that is very amusing, keep it up :D

Tridon, Tom Baker, Gigz and 1 other person like this.
  2. ryder720

ryder720 Tentacle Wrangler

I can only hope it will be next month but I'm really not sure.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  3. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a strong feeling that the beta will be in june. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be after E3 but who knows :)

4. Zaniel

Zaniel Space Penguin Leader

I have it on good authority that the beta will come out on my birthday, December 6th, so everyone can just calm down and start thinking about what you're going to get me.

carcrasher65 likes this.
  5. Samiz

Samiz Big Damn Hero

Ill give you a cake... A bacon cake.

JazzPigeon and Zaniel like this.
  6. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Look at all the June bugs! D:
    Although July is following close behind.

Samiz likes this.
  7. Samiz

Samiz Big Damn Hero

I hate... June bugs... :c

Lost in Nowhere and JazzPigeon like this.
  8. Ferigad

Ferigad The Number of the Minibeast

I dont expect it before July i´m afraid. Now with there new cosplay competition that runs until 15th of June and another "Small" competition they wanna do, it´s a good chance there is nothin to happen in June, at least not beta related.

9. Shad0w

Shad0w Big Damn Hero

I want june. But i voted juli cuz i never get what i want ;O

10. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

I keep saying, it is going to be December. set your mind to December, and if its earlier that will just be an added bonus.

JazzPigeon and PureWillkuer like this.
  11. Ferigad

Dude, Beta in December would be extreme short, couse they allready sayed release in 2013! xD

And tbh, i wouldnt release in december when you think about the competition. Moste big publisher bring out there games around december/chrismis to push it. Risk is Starbound could be pushed into background from the bigger titles with mutch more marketing power. Nah, if they release to the end of the year, december would be the worst month for them in my opinion. September/October around would be still a good window, not so mutch releases there, at least not from big companys.

12. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

They probably don't care about the typical holiday season sales.
    Thing is, the game is selling itself via word of mouth. No real advertisement or marketing.

Already over a million dollars in sales before any release.

They know youtube will take the ball and run with it when they release beta. Lets plays/free ads everywhere.
    So that beta has to be near polished if they want positive word of mouth sales to continue.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  13. Ferigad

But thats it, i dont see a rise still, and if you wanna grab the full marked potential, specially in a steam release, you should release it to a time where no big game in steam comes out. So people will notice it more frequently, eventually. 1,3 mil is a good price like on a kickstarter project, but thats it so far. I dont think it will get more then 60-65K to end of next month.

14. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Possibly. The pros of a have to outweigh the cons however.
    Unlike EA and other big name publishers they wont be able to buy their advertising. They get one shot at this. One first impression chance.
    If its not quasi-polished for the public eye for the beta, then its going to be roasted. Those thousands of youtube vids doing it wont go away either.

All while costing them more sales then we could begin to guess long term. Word of mouth is a powerful double edged sword.
    That said I believe it will be ready by then, I just don't think holiday sales is a big deal for them compared to reputation.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  15. Tom Baker

Tom Baker Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If it would come out on June, I wouldn't sleep at all anymore.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  16. Ferigad

Hmm, okay you got a point there, but still the game itself is rather unknown to a bigger community at the moment. What this game really needs, and as sooner as better, are some let´s play videos so the information about the game really can spread. As an example, i play terraria and minecraft regulary, but i only know the game for 1 week now, only because a friend of mine found it by accident. There is still a big community out there that know´s nothing about starbound.

At the moment there are really to few youtube clips about starbound out there and i really hope it will be a big information package tomorrow. I agree with you, it´s there maintitle and they need it to do it right to get forward, but you should really not underestimate a good marketing strategy. Thats the one thing at the moment i really miss here. Ofc promotion isnt cheap anymore in the internet, but as you say it, there are ways over youtube and else, and i think they really shouldnt wait to long to get more informations, let´s plays or simply demo´s of what they got so far up and running on youtube and websides that are intressted. And a short beta phase where all works can be good, but with 55K people it´s no longer only a core community that would be used to wait for a good working game. If you catch my drift. Dont mean a sooner release would be better, just that they should beginn with a real information policy. Daily updates are nice, but it isnt a compansation for screenshots, videos, guides and information about the ingame systems.

carcrasher65 likes this.
  17. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Tiy and a dev member need to get a polished alpha version (or just a stable one) and do a lets play with it. (Kinda like Redigit and Blue on Terraria before it came out)
    OR
    Give a demo/alpha to Youtubers that are interested in the game and they would review it

18. Jääkäri

Jääkäri Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it would be hard to make a let's play about Starbound without spoilers about the ending and such. What would let's say Tiy and maybe GeorgeV or Bartwe do in it?

19. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well they could skip most of the intro stuff for spoiler reasons, but we all have an idea of what it is anyway.
    Build a basic home, travel to at least 3 planets, and tease more, tease us more, and tease us a lot.

20. PeterFoxSNS

PeterFoxSNS Void-Bound Voyager

I do not see a beta out within the next month of June. They'll probably give a good 3-4 weeks of advance notice. So, unless they announce it within the next week here, I think it'll probably be around July/early August at the latest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.