1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Astroflux

Astroflux Orbital Explorer

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Definitely have to go with either Humans or Apex. I need to have lots of hair whether it be on the face with a manly beard or all over the body. Also I can make sound effects with my friends when I play a monkey.
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    Whenever I start a game I like to try to discover everything necessary or the overall gameplay mechanics. Then after I have a good base idea on what to do I rush for the high levels. On future play-throughs I am going to explore the game more and find the smaller details.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter? If you're a builder, what do your houses/bases generally look like?
    I try to mine as little as possible so I don't get absolutely sick of it on the next play-through. I'm a builder for sure, and an adventurer. I like to make multiple different styles of buildings all over the map that have nifty tricks to them that'll help me take on challenges. My bases tend to be extremely big and I enjoy making buildings that weave through mountains and go deep underground as well as high in the air.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    I bought a 4 pack with some friends (more like they bought it and I got a key) so for sure. We like the small public servers where we can either screw around or get serious without other random people to ruin our fun. We also make plenty of different game-modes in game that we can either play with or against each other in.
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    Knowing how long I played Terraria, and how much bigger this game is than Terraria... I won't have much of a social life for about a year.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    I prefer Ranged Magic when with friends, or really Tank-like melee when alone. Ranged Magic is stronger IMO but Tank-like melee doesn't tend to die as much. Don't know if there will be magic but some sort of high damage ranged character.

2. PancakeIV

PancakeIV Void-Bound Voyager

1) The Apex, maybe. I dislike their rule of tyranny and sacrifice, but come on, science. I could be like a mad scientist crouched in his little lab, exploiting the art of chemistry and possibly the hidden art of "/spawnitem." Second up is Floran, which is behind Apex because I dislike tribal races, but damn the shuttle they have is awesome. Glitch is really cool, but just not my type (incompatible system error: code 5461287) Humans are fourth, they're just a bit bland for me. Novakids and Hylotls are a no-no to me, as well as Avians. In my honest opinion, they're a bit generic. But whatever, if other people want them, let them.

2) Eh, I'll set up a home base on the Earthiest planet I find, and for every planet I come across, I will plant an outpost right there. Aggressive, most likely. Pimp him out with max-level rags and a wooden stick, such a badass. :cool:

3) Like I have said above, I'm going to adventure to different planets, but before that, I will spelunk the living :poo: out of the ill-fated planet that happens to be in my trajectory of destruction and industrialization.

4) All of my friends! So yeah, solo.

5) 25 hours a day.

6) Let's just say that once I get a handgun and a machete, you should grab your running shoes.

3. DapperPessimist

DapperPessimist Big Damn Hero

1: I like all of the races, but I think I will end up playing a Novakid.
    2: I plan on wandering around the universe a bit before I set up a main base. After that I will be taking on the hardest planets I can.
    3: I enjoy exploring interesting structures and locations. Mining is cool, so long as it's accompanied by fun environments to be in and strong monsters to protect the treasures of the land.
    4: I plan on playing with a close friend and along with a mid-sized guild.
    5: There wont be enough hours in the day I can spend playing this from what I'v seen.
    6: My fighting preference is really dependent on how fighting feels per the game, I have a funny feeling I will take to ranged combat with my Novakid. I avoid fighting every mob I come across, partially due to the tedium of killing every-thing, but also because I prefer not to play genocidal maniacs.

4. Ferigad

Ferigad The Number of the Minibeast

1. Human or Glitch, but at the moment i am not quit sure. I like the robotstyle of the Glitch, it got somethin from the cylons, in my opinion. And it seems like that the free glitch are quit honorable and decent beings. But i like Human too. Why? Because i am a human! And i really dont like the Florans. I really can put the finger on it, but that tribelike, stealing, people eating image they got... nah. But i think they are good target practice.

2. Well, i think i will join up with some friends and try the game. Set up a basecamp, scout a bit around, maybe making a grandtour of the universe just for fun and see what´s out there. Explore some planets, look for some caves and old structures, nothin to special i guess. It will depend on the people who i play with, and what are we decide together.

3. I really love to mine. I love to make mineshafts, to plan and to drill through rock and dirt, just to get these precious metals. My friends always told me that they hate my mineshafts in general because they end up runnin in circles and not find the way back to the surface. Yeah thats the reason why i began to make signs. ^^ And if it any possible, my favored miningstyle is oceanfloor mining. It´s a hard one, and honestly i know only minecraft so far where you can do a mining style like that with some divingsuite mods, but i hope it will be a possibility too. Vacuum mining (like on asteroids, planets without atmosphere) would be a thrilling experience for myself, but i am not sure if SB will support that when it comes out. And i liiiike to build bunkers and to live in them! ^^

4. Honestly, it´s the only reason why i bought it in the first place. Some friends and i want to play it together, on our own server, to have a game again that we can play together. We all like sandbox, and we all agreed on SB for a try. So, private server with friends.

5. Depends on the fun and my friends. I really cant say it. Maybe i will find somethin in SB that will thrill me and i end up with 1000+ hours or plays that goes all the night like old minecraft times. Or i will play it and get bored quickly for any reasons. At the moment i cannot say how long it will be, to play a game myself is always completly different as to see screenshots or videos of a game.

6. Ranged! And if possible with weapons between 20-50 kilotons of detonation yield, small tactical nukes or bigger non-nuclear bombs if possible! :p If you can use for quick mining or terraform craters, you can use it to fight. If nothing in that area is available, a rocketlauncher, grenadelauncher, or somethin with similar firepower will do quit nice.

5. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    [​IMG]Human
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I think I'm going to be a sort of scientist explorer. I'm going to see what I can find while I explore, and try to figure out how to master the planets and make the best tools.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter? If you're a builder, what do your houses/bases generally look like?
    I'm usually a Treasure Hunter who doesn't mind mining at all, if it may uncover treasure or secrets. Not much of a builder though, my bases usually are well organized with everything i needs, as well as safety. I don't usually decorate too much.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Yes, I am likely going to play with a group of people on a small server. However, only a few of them will be people I know in real life.
    Wow, I don't know. Likely a lot. A whole lot. Considering I have 200+ hours on Terraria, this is going to be big, haha
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    I like Melee, but I am also good at Ranged. I won't likely fight every one, but if I get something out of it, it's likely.

6. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A real sucker for the human kind (go figure). Have been playing humans (Imperials) in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and will definitely attempt to do so in Starbound – Commander Sheppard style! The other races are all greatly executed, which is all the more reason for me to be in character to enjoy its fullest experiences.

I love live-skills and will probably be tinkering with that aspect of the game first before dungeoning and bludgeoning.

Chopping trees, period. Being able to chop different types of trees = Fangasm overload. Being bored is when we reach a brick wall in things to do. The sheer amount of potentiality and possibility from doing something somewhat mundane, only makes it all the more merrier when it has a significant impact on content expansion. So it is all good!

Have been spreading about Starbound to my friends, families, and colleagues. Will probably play it with the lot and more!

That question is a can of worms I will surgically sink my teeth in and let it devour me as see fit.

I favor the melee side of combat. Nothing like getting down and gritty for the spoils of battle akin to Bear Grylls.

7. starmelt

starmelt Aquatic Astronaut

Hylotl or Novakid will be my first pick. Because Fish Samurai and Space Cowboy. All the races have something that appeals to me, but my first picks speak to me the most.
    I'm taking my time, not rushing anything.
    After the music system was announced I'm probably going to spend a lot of time busking throughout the galaxy with my friend. Hoping they'll add a Shamisen or a Sanshin for my Hylotl to play on.
    I have a group of friends to play with, on a private server, but I'm most definitely going to visit large publics as well.
    Hard to put a number on this one, but I played Terraria for a good 150 hours, and considering the amount of content in that game, I guess I will clock at least ten times as much on Starbound. I'll play it till I get sick of it. It took me 6 years to get sick of Diablo II...
    I really enjoyed playing with the spells in Terraria, so I'll go for something similar in Starbound.

overlordTNT likes this.
  8. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Space Spelunker

1. Hylot
    2. im allways in a hurry when i play games, even when i dont need to be :p
    3. I like to craft and mine and experiment, my houses will look like 3 year old drawing with crayons.
    4. Solo -> big Puplic -> Friends, in that order. First i learn the game then i go make friends in puplic and then i play with them :D
    5. Really depends how good the game will be, 75 Hours minimun on the first week on what i have seen so far.
    6. up close and personal, protection is for pansies :sparta: (even if my avatar wears armor its only for your protection!)

9. Serix

Serix Void-Bound Voyager

1. Hylotl, I like their Oriental style and how they are an aquatic looking race.
    2. My first character will have a Honorable Warrior/Explorer thing and I will try to be as immersed as possible.
    3.Fighting things and basically being an explorer and I will build a house if I find a good planet.
    4.I plan to play with one or two of my friends and that's probably it.
    5. I will play and infinite amount of hours.
    6. I prefer ranged and melee combat, whatever the situation demands and most likely I will fight monsters selectively.

10. Ryvvik

Ryvvik Void-Bound Voyager

1. Glitch, These metal toasters will cinnamon bun your @$$
    2. Most wanted machine in the galaxy
    3. Mad scientist, The best alchemist in the galaxy
    4. Private server with my three other friends.
    5. I play terraria like 30+ hours a week. I'll probably play Starbound like that.
    6. Ranged. With my tranquilizer gun post.

BEEP BOOP. MAGGOTS

11. quist

quist Orbital Explorer

1. human and avian.. :koala:
    2. explore everything and make everything:idea:
    3. both of them i like everything :monkey:
    4. yes, because lot player lot of fun. big public server :viking:
    5. 3h in 1 day :halo:
    6. ranged .. YEAAHH:sparta: :viking::viking::viking:

12. Shinae

Shinae Contact!

[​IMG] Well like most of the games, I usually start as a human character. Novakid, Floran and Hylotl are likely other races I'm giving a try. In Starbound I prefer finding other cultures and lore as a familiar human.

Combined answer: Build a basic base / town. I like treasure hunting and having trees / herbs / plants growing. I try to take it my own pace, not trying to speed things up. Having a nice peaceful village (with deadly defenses!) is always fun. Must have traps to kill unwanted intruders!!! I want to do everything.

Going solo first. I don't have friends. =(

I found about this game thru terraria. I have only 306 hours gameplay time in terraria and starbound seems so much better so I assume: at least 500+ hours. It might not seem a lot to lot of people, but I play lots of different games.

Melee and katanas. I hope they are viable option in starbound and I'm not forced to have guns. I do like guns too, but can't say no to swords. Also I hope bosses are doable with melee and Im not forced to run away firing gun.

7. Is this game going to be awesome?

I sure hope so. Hype level is so damn high. I really hope game is as good as all the hype!

13. darkdomino

darkdomino Title Not Found

1. Glitch - I want to be an android.
    2. Probably slow... Didn't rush through Terraria so this will be no different.
    3. I only raid dungeons when I have my friends with me. Teamwork is half the reason dungeon raiding is fun.
    4. I'll most likely have a private server and let friends and family in on a case by case basis.
    5. As long as it's interesting. Terraria gave me hundreds of hours before getting stale. I hope Starbound can beat this.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Chongo

Chongo Space Hobo

1) the Novakids and Apexes look pretty neat-o! I'll have to try em out. the Florans, maaaaaaaybe not as much, but they're still cool. May try em on a way further out playthrough.
    2) I dunno, man. Wherever the wind blows me.
    3) I'll likely be the explorer kind.
    4MoreLike4EverAlone) <==see what I did there :cry:
    5) I have absolutely no earthly idea. Probably just go until I notice that I missed a good portion of my life.
    6) Whatever the strongest weapon is. But most likely Melee.

IM JUST GONNA PLAY THIS BY EAR AND SHIZZ

15. MrHappySpoon

MrHappySpoon Space Spelunker

I am probably going to play Human, although I will probably play Novakid and Glitch characters later on. Most of the races look and seem amazing, I just prefer to play Human to get that sense of immersiveness; as if it were me travelling through space, having awesome adventures.

Probably going to spend a ton of time gathering supplies and building a base, basic hoarder playthrough until I feel ready for a full scale adventure.

I love to discover treasure and crafting materials, hoarding them then mass producing all sorts of junk; using that junk to look for more treasure. I am an avid builder, my houses span from complex towers to cozy cabin style homes.

Most likely going to play with a small group of friends on a private server.

I'm afraid that number might be a tad ridiculous.

Ranged, Magic and yes, nothing survives when I am around.

16. Maxx2079

Maxx2079 Space Spelunker

Im going to take things slow and build a nice house and settle for a bit on my first planet unless its an undesirable planet.
    As for Races, Ill be going for Novakids or Avians. This game is gonna be so awesome!

17. Miyuki

Miyuki Sandwich Man

Floran shall be the race I choose, and the race of my choosing shall be Floran. Glitch shalt I not choose, neither I choose Apex, excepting that I then proceed to choose Floran. Human is out right... *cough* Monty Python rip aside, the first time I saw Florans I thought of them as the equivalent of the ubiquitous alien grey, or sectoid, but with an extra level of cute added to them. Soon after Rho posted the "meet the Florans" and the idea of something as alien as a sentient humanoid plant piqued my interest and I stuck with it. While I'll probably end up having one of each species eventually, I'm not particularly a fan of plain old humans whenever there's a choice in games (unless the female human choice is the cutest,) so that'll be the last.

My playstyle has always been adaptive and I haven't ever really planned much, especially with the limited information going on about the actual game play as there is, so it feels more like limiting myself to have expectations to formulate plans on. Aside from taking it slowly and going wherever my wanderings around end up leading me, I'll probably leave the building and crafting to a limited level of necessity and satisfaction of curiosity.

Taking Minecraft or Terraria as examples, I prefer the spelunking and discovery over elaborate buildings, though I did end up making farms and easily defensible apartments and such out of convenience as the most utilitarian solution to providing supplies and space for showcasing my collection of armors etc. Though eventually one particular building I've crafted, a steampunk airship in Terraria, doesn't conform to that utilitarian philosophy. If I had the patience, I would like to make more elaborate housing. It's not that I wouldn't have plenty of ideas, there's rarely enough forethought or planning to get me going with the actual construction.

Can't say I have many friends and aside from WoW and a MUD I once used to play, I haven't really made contacts, so the process of finding people I'd actually like to play with would likely be too tedious, while it could be fun every now and then.

Hundreds, my WoW record until I quit was nearly 500 days worth play time, Terraria ended up with 440 hours, or so Steam client claims... but an undetermined time out of that comes from having left the client on over night while sleeping.

Once again, adaptive is the combat style that would most accurately describe what I usually do, what with choosing the optimal weapon for each situation or at least trying to figure out what works best until something does, so whenever possible (Terraria again) I tend to carry an arsenal of weapons with me. However, if it's down to personal preference, then that would be sniper rifles and swords. Though a rather odd combination, it fits the bill of my character being an assassin skilled both long range and close quarters take-downs.

Well, that ended up more long-winded than I intended >_<

18. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

1. When the full game is released I will play as a Floran (as my backgroundpicture suggest) and during the Beta I might play as a different species, probably the Glitch. These 2 are absolutely amazing, and i really love their artstyles.
    2. To make a base of operations where I can protect myself from the animals/monsters of the planet and also to get an idea of the building system. Once I've done that i can start exploring and memorize the different attack patterns of the different mobs.
    3. i will probably gather some ore to make some weapons and armor. Once that is done I'll probably see if I can investigate a dungeon for some nice loot.
    4. I'll play with my friends on a private server.
    5. I've spent about 200 hours on Terraria (in total), and as we all know this game goes on for quite much longer than Terraria.
    6. I prefer ranged, I'll be a gun man. :)

19. Cakewalker

Cakewalker Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Human/Novakid i just like playing as humans and i think the Novakid are interesting. Im not big on the Apex though
    2. Im definitely going to spent most of my time exploring and going on quests.
    3. Im an explorer, i like to find a nice med level planet, build a base there and then venture out into the universe, returning home only to store loot and put relics on display
    4. absolutely a game this vast needs other people but i will play on a a smaller server.
    5. same as i did for fallout 3, 327hrs
    6. i prefer to stay far away and slowly pick off my enemy with ranged attacks.

20. Caep

Caep Void-Bound Voyager

1. Hylotl or Novakid
    2. Quests, looting, exploring and adventuring.
    3. Definitely treasure hunting, but if I have to mine for certain materials, I'll go mining.
    4. Single player at first, and a small server with friends. If they are not there, most likely a public server.
    5. Plenty of hours! Starbound will be a never ending game, who knows?
    6. I prefer ranged weapons, melee weapons when I'm up close obviously. I'd try to skip across enemies that I know will kill me until I get more prepared.
    :megusta: