Whats your favourite Boss of all time? / most difficult boss?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corraidhín, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Now we need footage of this, but with a hard world :D

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You mean Expert Mode?

Blah, no thanks lol. I ain't that crazy.

Try askin' someone like Yrmir or someone like that...

Corraidhín and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  3. Gilligan Lanley

I'd give it a go. You won't see me win, but I'd totally try to take them all on at one time. Mind you, I still haven't even stepped foot into Hard Mode in an Expert world yet :p

PS Nice avatar :3

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've yet to even try Expert Mode with a fresh character. I made an Expert world with a character already wearing Solar Flare Armor/Solar Eruption, just to farm Golem for Goodie Bags, lol.

Thanks! Good friend of mine did it of one of my characters I play in a MU*.

5. Gilligan Lanley

It's a bad time all around with a fresh character in a Expert world. I went in blind with no clue as to what changed. The Eye of Cthulhu scared the life out of me then proceeded to turn my insides out.

You're welcome!
    I have no idea what an MU is...

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

MU* is a MUD, MUCK, MUSH, MUX, MOO, etc. Basically, it's an old-school pure text-based multiplayer environment. These were popular way back in the early 90s when PC gaming was still in its infancy but yet people liked the idea of massively multiplayer games over the internet, but there just weren't very many games that could actually do that, and nearly all multiplayer games at the time were LAN-only, and required IPX (which you can't do over the internet normally) or direct phone dial connection.

So, using a program like telnet (which is similar to something like mIRC) or a MU* client, one could connect to a server and you could enter text commands, and the server would tell you what results. You could move through rooms (each room gave you a text description), and depending on what kind of MU* you use, there could be stats, XP, battles, etc.

Well, the one I play on, a MUCK, doesn't do stats or battles, but is a pure free-form text roleplay system. There's rooms you move around in, you can set a description on your character so that other people can "look" at you and see your description, and you can send/receive messages instantly (kinda like an instant messaging). You only see people in the same room as you, but you can "page" people anywhere who are currently online, etc.

Makes for an awesome roleplay system.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh I remember MUCK, I heard of it years later when online games were more stablished and certainly more stable

But... isnt this... off topic :p?

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Kinda off-topic.. I have that flaw that I reply to anything that's said to me, regardless of what the thread is about. lol.

Corraidhín and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I feel your pain xD dont worry, it happens!

10. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Most difficult boss I've ever fought is probably the Giant Enchanted Skull from Legend of Dungeon. You're not actually supposed to fight it, just run... But you still need to kill it for the "Defeat all bosses" achievement. I'm still working on it.
    [​IMG]

Corraidhín likes this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ooooh that looks pretty interesting, I love difficult bosses and specially if its a challenge to beat em! reminds me of... uhh... I forgot the name but it was a rogue-like dungeon crawler, the first boss looks like that one, but way wimpier

12. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

Dungeon Souls?

13. krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

Oh, here's one I'm always pretty fond of.
    From the Touhou fangame Mystical Chain, Kaguya and Mokou !

So, if you're not familiar with Touhou's characters, Kaguya and Mokou are both immortal and regularly fight each other to the death, both because they hate each other and because that's the most fun you're gonna have if you're immortal.

So, why are they fighting you here? Easy. They aren't. They're fighting each other and you're just stuck in the crossfire. With that cool concept, cool music, and cool attacks, I really like this fight!

14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oooh yeah thats the one! pretty good guess there buddy :p

sounds like walking into a bickering couple as the doors close and you need to get past them to exit the grocery store.... can totally relate to that experience

15. MitKit

MitKit Phantasmal Quasar

I would say my favorite boss is the Time Golem (final boss) from Blinx just because of how intense it is, with having to battle 4 of the previous bosses (again) immediately before fighting it, using only bombs as weapons, the boss being able to control time, it having 11 phases, and having to beat it in less than 10 minutes!

upload_2016-1-30_19-19-36.png

I still haven't beat it yet.

Corraidhín likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

... wow, THAT is one hell of a battle then! best of luck with it! :p

17. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy 6 is the best (and funniest) boss ever. One of the few villains that actually managed to control the world and become a god :p

Gilligan Lanley and Corraidhín like this.
  18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Too bad that by gameplay mechanics, and how the game is set up, he is also one of THE weakest end-of-story bosses of all time. If you put any time whatsoever at all into setting your characters up (IE, didn't leave them completely spelless and equipped with nothing), not only is it almost impossible to die against him, but even if someone did die, they'd be replaced by one of the 20+ characters standing in reserve, as long as all four of your people didn't die simultaneously (he doesn't do anything that hits THAT hard, except for his HP-to-One attack that you easily have enough time to heal from). It doesn't even take all that much grinding to make your party powerful, because there's a convenient forest that will get your characters to 99 rather quickly and learned all the espers' spells (or at least relevant ones), perhaps 2-3 hours tops once you get powerful enough to survive there.

They put a decent amount of story behind him, they make the boss fight itself look awesome, they had you fight this cool "pillar" boss before him, and kept changing the background music as you climbed the pillar, but then.... the mechanics of the game ruins any challenge this guy could have had.

19. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Yes, I was just saying that he is my favourite boss, not the hardest. Anyway, I think the problem is not with the mechanichs of the game. In FF6 Advance there are a few bosses (Kaiser Dragon, Omega Weapon...) that are super hard. They just made Kefka weak.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That seems to be a trend that is common to all FF games starting with #6, where the last bosses are weak if you build up at least a little, until X anyways (I found that boss to be a bit overtuned without lots of gruelling grinding). As for last bosses in the story.... #7's is pitiful, #8's is a wuss if you exploit multi-hit Limits and the Aura spell, #9's isn't really hard either unless you just rush there with low levels, and #12's is pathetic. I can't comment on X-2, however because I never played past a couple hours.

EDIT: See, I wish they could find a Middle-Ground. I feel that FF4 and FF5 felt good in terms of challenge vs grind required. FF6 through 8 are too weak, 9 isn't quite as bad, then 10 goes the other way, where you need hours of sphere grid grinding just to out-damage the constant heals thrown by the support pillar.

I don't like story bosses that require hours and hours of grind on unrewarding mobs that don't give you enough, but yet I don't like story bosses that just keel over at a sneeze either. Whatever happened to FF4-like challenge? Though I say FF4 is a good balanced game, it has that sore spot in the middle that I hate, and trying to get past it is a chore, but once you do the rest of the game is good. That sore spot is right before you're meant to fight the Evil Wall, but your group is too weak and nothing gives you worthwhile XP. There are stronger mobs in optional caves, but they give 1200-1400xp but are 5x as hard as mobs that gave 900-1100.