1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good site for abc files?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jmbomb, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

I tried lotro-abc and added around 5 songs and they all sucked. I even used them with multiple instruments and not one sounded good.

anyone know an actually good site?

2. zairs

zairs Aquatic Astronaut

3. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

I wish we had a downvote system.

Percy Lillywinkle and sankto like this.
  4. zairs

zairs Aquatic Astronaut

Look harder. There's a ton of good ones lol; you just have to try em out and see what you like.

"5" songs aint jack. There's a lot of bad, and a lot of good, it's a matter of finding them. It's ABC files, not MP4 - don't expect the best quality.

5. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

I tried 5 from 5 different artists and they didn't sound cool so I hate that site now

Percy Lillywinkle likes this.
  6. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

7. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

If I can't play some bon jovi, johnny cash, and some queen I don't care about the other shit songs on that site.

8. zairs

zairs Aquatic Astronaut

The only shit songs are the ones you just mentioned. They aint typically gonna work on starbound based instruments, lmao. You wanna listen to it, listen to the mp4, you wont find that type of 'music' for abc files that sound just like it.

9. Tosado

Tosado Orbital Explorer

If you're expecting anything more than simple sounds actually sounding good from .abc files you're mistaken.

10. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not necessarily. I have a bunch of Queen and Iron Maiden among other things and they translated anywhere from passably to actually pretty decent.

11. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

Must gimme

12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Dick much? ABC files can't handle TOO complex songs you know

13. Incredipede

Incredipede Title Not Found

Ohh look, an idiot!

14. daddycool

daddycool Master Chief

starbards.net is pretty okay. They have a small selection but you can request songs if you want. The songs are specifically written to sound nice in Starbound. I have tried out a few and they all sound great.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the selection is expanding very fast, I checked out this site two days ago and the songs have almost doubled.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  15. krnzmaster

krnzmaster Starship Captain

nice! there really are only a few songs, but listening to the previews of a few, they sound pretty good with starbound instruments!

16. zothaq

zothaq Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it really that hard to google "abc notation"?

17. Sonora

Sonora Title Not Found

18. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

I asked the people, I didn't ask google.
    there is a difference because you guys have recently used them and know what works best.
    Thanks

Percy Lillywinkle likes this.
  19. Capt_Electron

Capt_Electron Big Damn Hero

There is a post up on the Steam forum from a guy who has created a download with 190 songs that he took the time to verify would actually work in the game:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/0/648813728579385839/ (and yes the d/l is safe, I've checked it myself - good stuff). And yes, there are bon jovi, cash and queen songs in his download.

He does mention in his post that a lot of abc files he checked would crash the game, so it is a matter of trial and error to find good song files.

20. Jmbomb

Jmbomb Sandwich Man

whoa