1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What can we do?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Litagano Motscoud, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Before i49, everyone was so pleasant around here. We didn't insult people because we didn't need to, and the occasional abusive post was deleted. It seems like after i49, the community started to become very unfriendly, and the release of the beta didn't help. In fact, the problem just seems to have gotten worse. Take a look at a few threads in this forum and it's evident that this forum isn't as friendly as it used to be.

This was one of the very few special places on the Internet where abusive behavior was very limited, but now it seems to be very rampant. I think even I have started to become more hostile. I wish we could all chill the hell out and stop being so mean to each other.

That is all.

2. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

I agree to this, I would like to know the mental shift as it where.

3. ohgood

ohgood Master Chief

The beta brought in hordes of new users, isn't it obvious?

4. Flevalt

Flevalt Pangalactic Porcupine

What was i49 again?

5. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I'm gonna go with it being partly the fact that the beta is finally out, and part that some people are being weird about difficulty.

6. Threndsa

Threndsa Orbital Explorer

If I had to guess id say that it has to do with a larger group of people being active on the forums and as we learn and experience more and more about the game there is more to argue about. Personally I wish this could be a land of happiness and civil discussion but conflicting opinions and personalities, combined with net anoynimity lead to a more hostile environment. Best suggestion I can give is to not fall into the trap and be patient. As time goes on many of the trolls will move on and things will calm down a bit.

7. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

As someone who has been reading the forums both before and after i49, I don't think there is much difference. It is just a matter of volume, direction, and availability of information.

As more information about the game is released, there is less speculation and more "fact" to comment on or complain about. As more people join the forum (or come back for beta), there are more opinions out there, more comments, more complaints, and more arguments.

Also, there was nastiness before as well. It was just directed at either the devs for "holding back and lying about releasing a beta" and then at the posters who were rude to the devs over the lack of a beta.

tldr; ssdd :)

steveman0 likes this.
  8. Kix

Kix Phantasmal Quasar

What is i49?

Also, I think hostility comes from the release of Starbound's early access and people's ability to voice their opinions about the current state of the game very loudly.

9. WolfMimir

WolfMimir Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well as someone else stated, new users, new users everywhere.
    I almost wish the game didn't come out with the beta, so we could still have the chill community we had.
    But hopefully this will end when the game is officially out and all these beta threads end.

10. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

i49 was the gaming event that took place in Britain. Chucklefish offered a demo of Starbound there.

WoxandWarf, Serenity and Kix like this.
  11. Ryukiroku

Ryukiroku Subatomic Cosmonaut

The community exploded with activity. There's a ton of new users and I think it's pretty hard to keep up with considering how many new topics are created per minute compared to pre-beta-release. I really think we need more moderators to keep up with the population growth before it gets too hostile and out-of-hand.(Which I'm sure to some, it seems that way already)

Plus it's beginning to feel cliquey with the groups for either feel the game is too hard or too easy.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Actually it has always had people that complain over small things. So to me it seems the same only difference is there is now a new thread every five seconds when it used to be maybe a dozen or less a day.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/devs-group-picture-i49.28635/

Major event starbound was shown at.

13. CondrioidViking

CondrioidViking Big Damn Hero

It was. The second the beta was about to be released this forum just exploded. Kinda feels like it's turning into some other forums I used to be on. Nice to begin with, then a lot of people just popped up, few moderators and now they're just some hostile places where everyone are mean to each-other. It's ridiculously stupid, and that can't happen here too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    gameboytj and Litagano Motscoud like this.
  14. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

I think when the beta winds down and people get the definition of a "beta test", they'll relax. When the game finally releases, people will have better attitudes and discussions on the game. It's a beta, you have to remember that there are always people bitching about betas.

Before the beta was released, the forums were fueled pretty much solely on hype. Nobody knew what to expect, except for whatever images their minds created of the game. This makes for great attitudes toward the game, as everybody has their own view of an amazing game. Now, people are playing the game, and they didn't get what they perceived of the game. Which is normal, obviously. Hype generally lets people down, as it's a false presumption, and this is a beta. Hell, it's stage 1 of beta. Which some people happen to forget.

Serenity likes this.
  15. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Aye... :(
    No matter where you go, it seems the hostility follows...
    All I can say is: War... War Never Changes...

cyberspyXD, Nvse and Serenity like this.
  16. ThorN

ThorN Poptop Tamer

unfortunately its the nature of the beast that is online communities, right now heres the current and todays peak players through steam, current 57759 todays peak 84928. 85k people alone is a vast variant on personalities and opinions. a percentage of those are bound to be assholes and trolls, theres nothing u can do about that, what chucklefish can do is "hire" more moderators to try and help out around the forums and start punishing worst of the bunch, but its basically a never ending pit so it will be hard to keep the forums clean with so many people interested in the game.

17. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

None of this ever comes true. For any game. Except for that last bit about people bitching.

The problem of hostility mostly stems from two sources:

1. "Being right." Heaven forbid anyone be seen as wrong and thus as an idiot, even in the face of evidence proving them as such. So people will argue and argue and argue... Even opinions will more often than not be stated as fact. If that "fact" is wrong? "Well it's just my opinion, as is yours." "Great" ideas to make the game better? More than likely Hell will freeze over before long they'll consider any criticisms against or constructive towards their idea.

2. "Being superior." People have this weird issue with feeling even the slightest bit inferior to another, or seeing anything they don't deem as "legit" being something that is okay to leave in game. See: "Coords are like cheating!" threads, or the blocking enemies threads. People are taking the easy way out... this effects you how?

Just generally disagreeing with something or someone is enough to make someone perceptually an asshat. Butting heads with them DOES make them (and their opponent) asshats. This is a public forum. People WILL butt heads.

Nvse likes this.
  18. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Obviously there's going to always be people complaining. But usually communities get better. I have no idea what forums you take part in.

19. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

So damn many. I'd like to know which ones you partake in. The ones I visit either nearly die off completely, or just keep getting worse. Irony here is: the worse they get, the more players the game must have. Only niche communities ever stay nice, but niche communities nearly fall under "nearly died off" in terms of forum traffic.

20. CondrioidViking

CondrioidViking Big Damn Hero

Have you ever been on the forums to Bungie?