1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Updates?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by AdenSword, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Keep Daily updates or switch to weekly?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2014.
  1. Daily updates please

33.3%
  2. Weekly updates please

66.7%
  1. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

As stated in the "5th & 6th November progress" post, weekly updates are being considered by chucklefish (or at least by molly) "Hard to give you much more in the way of details, since we’re pretty much just trucking along in preparation for beta at this point. Maybe it’d be better to give you more substantial weekly updates instead of trying to do them daily or every other day? :O"

I think it would be better because all they are doing right now is saying "work continued and here are a few new techs" I think it would be more exciting to see a weekly update with more information in it but i want to know what you guys think also it would let them get a little more ZZZs on the days they would normally be writing an update on

(And sorry if someone else posted something like this somewhere else but when I searched for one I didnt find one)

2. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

a giant weekly update would be interesting and easier for them, why not?

Landlaw and PolarStar like this.
  3. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

Weekly updates for sure. The only part I fear is that this may mean beta is still several weeks away :( Guess that means I have more time to draw then :)

PolarStar likes this.
  4. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Doesn't matter to me, but it's kinda weird that there's this line of thinking among the people on these forums that because they'd only happen once a week the amount of information they'd have is somehow going to triple in volume (in compared to daily updates). Wouldn't a weekly update just be a compilation of 7 days worth of daily updates? If there's not much info to give out now, there's not magically going to be 2 page essays worth of info with 10 screenshots and videos available if they switch to weekly.

My only thing is, that it's weird that the daily updates are apparently so hard to do.. I don't really get that. You would think that writing out a post of what you did today and taking a screenshot, before you head off to bed or during your coffee breaks wouldn't be such a big deal, but I guess not..

Vanishing and Gilley like this.
  5. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

... my only thought either way is. Isn't it a little late in the game to matter either way?

Once beta hits we'll be getting daily updates regardles in a way. That is at most less then two months from now.

6. Weekly is okay, i mean in the past months daily updates have about pretty much the same topics, one or other print with new stuff but it could be more interesting posts if they included more progress.

7. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe they shouldn't have bothered to give updates, Its becoming apparent that they are struggling to find time to do them. After Tiys post on how the beta will work, That to me has sufficed enough that they are working full steam ahead and I was content with that.

All these last updates have done (After Tiys post about Beta) have given me an unweary feeling that Beta is still a way off and have sadly started to deflate alot of the hype that that original post gave back to me.

I'm losing faith.. :( Its sad but the wait has become more of an act of frustration more then anything else. So to cure that I decided to resub to WoW after a 2 year break to do something in the mean time.

All in all, and Disclaimer: This is my opinion, Dont go wacko on me >.> They shouldn't bother to throw us an update and just concentrate on what they do best. Its nice to wake up in the morning and read them, But its off my daily agenda of stuff to do now because of how long I have waited.

8. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

Is there an option for "I don't care either way since I'm patient regardless of what they do"?

demanrisu and syndoflame like this.
  9. syndoflame

syndoflame Title Not Found

I like the idea of weekly but what else will i look at over coffee at work?

10. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

its not about how patient you are its about whether you think that the daily updates have gotten too small and should be grouped up in a weekly update or not

11. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

They're not daily updates anymore at this point

so they might as well be weekly. I don't like having to check every night and then see nothing. I'd rather they just pick one and be consistent. If weekly updates are on a certain day and they do it on time, then that sounds good to me.

you don't need to be so high and mighty about it though.

AdenSword and syndoflame like this.
  12. roninafro

roninafro Master Chief

I'd still like a new screenshot every day or two (even just a pretty background or something only a little different than what we've already seen) but I would be fine if the news was only once a week.

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm fine with weekly updates. Whatever suits them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    AdenSword likes this.
  14. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm fine with either. If they switch to weekly updates, I would hope that they'd be larger than what we've got now, with more than 1 screenshots.

15. buttfarm

buttfarm Everyone's Friend

I'd prefer if the update schedule was "we'll update when we have something interesting for you dorks to read".

I think with almost constant daily updates since May they've established enough good faith if they go silent for a while, and resurface when something rad happens. It's cool that things like AI pathing are getting fixed and there's balance work done and etc etc, but I would rather read about the new Pigbot 3000X with Telescopic Snout. Besides, with so many things coming hard and fast, even an "update when something cool happens" schedule would mean neat stuff fairly regularly.

Maybe instead of updating us on minor bugfixes, that stuff could go into the roadmap and there could be the casual mention of "roadmap sections X, Y and Z updated, check it out" at the end of the update?

AdenSword likes this.
  16. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Daily. When the beta is out, I'd like to see updates. The staff said there would be maybe even several updates a day. A brief "this is what we added" would be nice.

17. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I'm entirely indifferent, daily updates are nice to pass 30 seconds of my time each day, past that I don't care if the updates are daily, weekly or monthly. All I ask is that when Beta is out, they keep a changelog and keep it updated somewhere on the main site when Beta/Release goes live. I check the Starbound forums once or twice a day anyway, to see if Beta has dropped and see if there is any amusing discussions I want to be part of.

18. Acez

Acez Star Wrangler

Weekly updates would be fine for me if its easier on their side.
    As long as they don't go silent for months and continue providing us with information (regardless of whether its little or lots), its completely fine.

19. Croyd

Croyd Big Damn Hero

One big article every week would be nice. Lets them take their time at it and not feel pressed every day to do it.

20. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

too many spoilers. i dont want updates until beta
    a surprise factor now will be awesome!