1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-off (Current Theme: Cute)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lord Octopus, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

M-my tetrominos are rounded...

Chompy and Dargona1018 like this.
  2. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

You're right there is that one.

3. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

I did understand it.
    It was my first thing and I failed to meet the challenge and failed to meet what I was trying to do.
    It was truly thrown together quickly from a small idea in my mind of it.

Also, and I apologize if this was not your intention, but you seem to be thinking down on us by the way you are speaking.
    Try not to come off as someone who thinks/knows that he is better than everyone else, and let others have a chance.

4. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

It's hard not to come across as that when nobody is doing what you intended :c
    There was only the one entry that did an upgrade, and that was the whole point was to upgrade the sprite because you are not constricted by size limitations. This thread is to challenge each other to become better pixel artists, but from what I am seeing the artists are not challenging themselves and when I see this thread failing (because the technique of most artists, including myself, has not improved significantly since they started competing) I cannot help but speak up about it. What I am seeing, and I am seeing a lot of it and being confirmed by the artists themselves in their posts, is hastily thrown together pieces done the night before or in an hour or two. And in my opinion that's not what the thread is about, the standards should be higher each week, not lower. Last year the pieces that win now, even my pieces would never had held a candle to what was being made because the artists took the time and effort to make each piece great. I'm only lecturing because I believe that this thread can do better and should do better. I want to see amazing pieces in this thread again, I want to be impressed, don't sell yourself short because you're new you can be just as good as anyone; it just takes practice and effort.

5. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Trying to sell myself short because I am new and I am not as good as everyone.
    But also, there aren't as many people here now as there was before. There was you, Lord Octopus, and a couple of other people, and everyone would do good. Also, Prodamn isn't available, so you lost someone else.
    And to add to that, the old thread got closed, so people that didn't notice that would have thought it died, not that it had moved.

6. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

LIES LIES LIES

THE penguin is back!!!
    I never got around on doing a 8bit game character but have this frog, it's a leftover from the other thread as we had this gameboy 4-color palette theme :p

original:

FROG.png

3x:
    FROGq.png

NOT AN ENTRY!
    just throwing this in here! :p

if lord octopus hadn't rescued this thread - i had!
    i'm not looking at this thing as a SUPER challenging story. it's more like having fun pixeling stuff!
    winner or loser, i guess that's what makes this thread reasonable but let's have some fun pixeling stuff :D

to challenge each other is a nice and neat side effect, to improve is the other thing, i think it more or less depends on the 1st real good entry. if i see a good entry, i want to challenge it and do better, not often works out, though.
    But this is where my skills are improving.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Katzeus, Owl_Stalker, Ovyerus and 2 others like this.
  7. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But - but - but ... I've improved... mostly because I started off abominable and am now straddling the line between bad and acceptable. (I think there's a curve to this.)

8. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

Everybody should know that I love Blaster Master. What better way to show that, and get my art fix done, than to insert this beauty here.
    NOT AN ENTRY (since I run the forum)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think if they had more processing power to handle their sprites they would have made her look like this

Ovyerus, Chompy, Owl_Stalker and 2 others like this.
  9. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

I've improved a lot since I began.

10. Lord Octopus

The only way to get better is to draw. You could look at other's work, discuss it, and you could thing about it, dream about it, but you will only improve by preforming the action.
    it is important to understand that we are all at one point in the artist's arc or another.
    Do not get discouraged by those who are better, or worse, than you because discouragement will slow the progress of your own development.

Keep at it my friends and we will have a great time learning together.

11. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Woah. Those are some inspiring words @Lord Octopus *audience applauds*

Chompy and Lord Octopus like this.
  12. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

13. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

14. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

i spent far too long learning that one.
    also i won more than one week of the pixel off :p

Serenity, Lord Octopus and Ovyerus like this.
  15. Lord Octopus

I cannot correct that currently because of a 502 gateway error. I have put in a report to get the issue fixed but have received no correspondence back.

Also after further review I was unable to find any other winning posts by you. If you would please list the week numbers where you won I can take note and get the issue resolved (once the stupid 502 thing is fixed).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  16. MrDrMuffinPants

MrDrMuffinPants Void-Bound Voyager

For shovelry!
    ENTRY
    [​IMG]

Been playing shovel knight a fair bit
    (also I have no idea if the black outline counts as a color...)

[​IMG]

17. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

I cant be bothered to go through 80 odd pages to find a single win :rofl:
    hope the gateway clears up soon

Serenity and Ovyerus like this.
  18. Lord Octopus

You can view every winning entry on the first page from year one and two. All you would have to do is look through the pictures and tell me which ones belong to you.
    I went through all of them and only found the one, though I might have missed it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  19. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

I feel the immense urge to do yoshi for once... i will!

Lord Octopus likes this.
  20. Lord Octopus

This week's theme: Fish

Auesome_Man3840

Submit by Friday Aug. 29th

Big or small, cute or scary, the fish rule the ocean.
    The Weekly Pixel Pot:
    *Choice of next week's theme*

WoxandWarf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.