1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Water leaks in from rooftop garden despite being sealed

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Tsal, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture, when it rains, the weight of freshly rained water will push the water in the cave up, flooding your house. Block the cave or get some drains.

EDIT: Or you could just remove some of the background blocks from the top of the cave, right at the bottleneck where the cave meets your house (above the second red arrow). When the water gets there, it will simply disappear.

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Looks like your roof's got a leak. That's gonna cost ya...

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  3. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The water leaks from the roof and rolls down. It doesn't get pushed up from the cave entry. I've checked the background blocks to make sure its sealed and it is. My only next step is to remove the rooftop garden to see if that is the culprit.

Also, when I head down to investigate the water has flown all the way down to the lava.

4. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Dammit! I though I hit the nail on the head on this one.

Interesting idea, what if you made your roof thicker and then put the garden on top of it?

5. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

Ferengi Latinum Farmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's the rooftop garden that is the problem. I tried growing trees on my house a while back in nightlies and it it will cause leakage into your house. If I recall, removing trees or plants will stop it so I guess that it's roots that causes the leakage.

6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I would check this, but it seems you already have...
    If plants overhead are the ultimate cause, see if you can find out where the cutoff is for this happening. For example, does this change depending on the block you're using for a barrier? Does more than one row of blacks keep it from leaking?

Froggod likes this.
  7. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

I'll do some experimenting with dirt on roofs with and without plants and with some different materials and see if they all leak. On another note, fences act similar to solid walls in that they contain liquid. If you build a garden with fence in the background and sides, you'll get a giant bowl of vegetable soup.

8. Bonabopn

I know! It's annoying x.x

9. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Plants are most certainly not the culprit. Im having this issue now with just boxes on my roof.
    Im pretty sure background blocks make little difference, however it seemed to stop after making the roof three blocks thick.
    Im going to double check this idea next rain.

10. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

A normal layer of wood or metal blocks were fine by themselves. It was when I put dirt and stuff on top of them that the water started getting drawn through them into the buildings.

11. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Didnt work.
    Heres a temp fix though.

[​IMG]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420090894][/DOUBLEPOST]
    interestings x: im having issues with roof tiles. Perhaps placing wood under the roof tiles will work..
    Edit: nu. still doesnt work. i think its a bug or unfinished coding.

12. Animaster78900

Animaster78900 Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe it's the type of roof you have. It's a long shot but maybe because it's some kind of clay roof they programmed water to flow through the cracks or something. Idk I'm just throwing that out there.

13. Milly Rainbowskittlez

If that were the case, something that would block said water would stop the leak, yet im having trouble finding anything that stops water completely.

14. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

I don't have an actual roof, my house is basically a rectangle so the top is a completely flat surface made up of a single layer of wood blocks, like the walls and floors. I didn't have any leakage through that alone. When I tried putting stuff on top of that single layer of wood, that's when I had issues.

15. Bonabopn

I use clay roofing, 3 tiles thick. That works. It also has a background, too.

16. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Interesting.. Ill bet it has something to do with the size of the building. My building was rather long as you saw, and if it had one layer of roofing, the roof would still leak. However yours is much smaller than mine, which may explain why you have issues when you add to your roof.

Unfortunately i doubt we will ever completely 'clog' this mystery until a dev comes in and tells us whats wrong xD[DOUBLEPOST=1420140498][/DOUBLEPOST]This also gets me curious. If acid rain does this too, what kind of water leaks through the roof?

Bughunter likes this.
  17. Froggod

Froggod Void-Bound Voyager

Wait. This only happens when placing dirt on any type of roof? No matter how many blocks or what kind of blocks are under it the water leaks thru?
    Could it be because if dirt didn't let water go thru when it rained the whole planet surface would be full of water? A top layer of dirt has to let water go thru in this case. The engine doesn't know that you have built a house under that dirt. It sees it as the planet surface so it lets water go thru the dirt and any blocks directly beneath them so the planet doesn't get flooded? Just wondering if this is how the game engine is set up. Where are the Devs? lol I need to know the answer to this :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.