1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Resolved WASD and other keyboard keys don't work

Discussion in 'Support' started by marginoferror, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marginoferror

marginoferror Space Spelunker

I just started and was able to get through the prologue into the first part where the character is controllable. However, bizarrely, the WASD keys don't work at all. In fact, none of my letter keys work! If I go to reassign keys, and for instance try to reassign WASD to other keys, letter keys and number keys don't work. The only things that work are control keys -- tab, space, the arrow keys, numlock, etc.

I thought this might be a localization problem, because I was set to use another language by default for non-Unicode programs. So I reset everything to English (United States) in Windows. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. Neither disabling Steam Overlay or changing screen modes. Any ideas?

• ultrabeast

ultrabeast Space Hobo

I am having this same problem, no idea how to fix it.. the only keys that seem to work is Escape F1-F12. I'm in the US so my keyboard is just normal English, no foreign languages.

Edit: It's worth noting that they keyboard worked fine to type in all my information during character creation. Just doesn't work in game.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
      • marginoferror

I am playing the game fine with my controller. It would probably be possible to play the game with just the keys that work, too -- my numerical keypad works in non-numlock mode (so, the arrows plus pg up, pg dn, etc) which would probably be enough. But I still don't know why the letter keys don't work.

• ultrabeast

ultrabeast Space Hobo

Ugh it was my fault. I had my anti-keylogger software enabled so it was causing the issue.

• marginoferror

Hmm! You know, I have AntiLogger too. I've never seen it cause trouble with a game before but I bet that's it. Thanks a lot for posting your solution!

• genieunicorn

genieunicorn Space Hobo

I've had the same problem and the solution was different for me. Turns out I use a French and English layout on my keyboard, depending on what I do. The WASD keybindings in Stardew only work when I use the English layout.

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@genieunicorn Please note the date. Necro-posts are only allowed if you remain on topic and the topic is still relevant. Going to lock this.

Thread Status:
                Not open for further replies.