Villager Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by powerdemon, Mar 10, 2016.

1. christhekiller

christhekiller Subatomic Cosmonaut

*Shrug* I'm cool with more POC in the game. Mayhaps a small expansion to the town to the west or north with some new (more diverse) characters. Though having all the POC characters north of town does feel kinda... segregationy...

Side bar: Can you make a POC player character? I can't rightly remember and I'm too lazy to go look

• agry

agry Orbital Explorer

Might be the case, too. Never really noticed it myself, until a friend of mine brought it up.
      Gus(tavo) works for quite a few places.

You can chose from 20+ colors, even grey or purple.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
      • christhekiller

christhekiller Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why didn't I do this. Have the purple skined weirdo woo the purple haired weirdo. IT would have been PERFECT storybook even

M.Car likes this.
        • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

Ah, representation for us purple people. At last!

But in all seriousness yeah, an Italian whose favourite food is tacos? is not particularly weird in the village we have. I also think it's silly we're adding words like "Mexican" "Italian" etc, when there is no evidence of a 'Mexico' or 'Italy'

• powerdemon

powerdemon Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure who that is, so that's probably why.

They were not wrong. I am an outsider in their world. They also weren't staring on purpose, I'm sure.

• XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

How arrogant can a person be, really, to feel so self conscious that you are expecting anyone to be racist for the slightest glance or using the word color instead of race. I am shocked over how narrow minded some people can be. This is definitely the first and last thread about "colored people" I am going to touch ever. Fucking toxic mentalities.

izzy82 likes this.
              • Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I remember having to take a class talking about colored people vs people of color, one is more politically correct, don't remember which is which. As long as people are not intended for it to be insulting, I don't care what they use. Unless they turn off heart decay, I don't want it to turn into a whole city instead of a small town since there is no way to maintain all the relationships when it decays constantly.

• agry

agry Orbital Explorer

Gus(tavo?) the bartender. South-American, Italian, whatever. Could be a lot.
                  [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
                  • XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, well I still feel offended for being called racist over a misunderstanding. Things like that is not cool, the fact that people still look at me as a racist is disgusting. That is the reason that racism exists in the first place, as well as fear of being outnumbered and being different from others. If everyone could just let that mentality go then it wouldn't exist. I want people to be happy, not argue about personal fears that should be dealt with from the core, instead of spread out to cause even more fear.

izzy82 likes this.
                    • DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I tried to explain this earlier, it... didn't sink in.

• DukeOfRiven

1) I was literally talking about cake - this is my solid opinion that white sprinkles make cake boring, and it is the same opinion I have about white furniture and white walls. The sterility of modernism (which the Martha Stewarts of the world represent) is a gross aesthetic and the sooner we ditch it the better.

2) "I will never look at any fictional character and feel bad that they don't represent me." Fantastic. That makes you, however, non-representative of a lot of people in this threat who feel representation matters to them, and an anecdotal fallacy of personal irrelevance does nothing to refute the larger point.

3) "The truth is there are people who want to bring their politics into gaming and the rest of us just want to fucking play." A nice rhetorical ploy here, but one ultimately dismissible as reductio ad absurdum. That is not a truth, because the viewpoint that politics are in any way 'separate' from a work of media is, in-and-of-itself, a political viewpoint (and, I would debate, a wrong one). Nothing exists in a vacuum: the game already comes to you wearing its politics on its sleeve. Joja Mart consuming the town? The benefits of a quiet life over a cubical job? Unquestioned and universally supported same-sex marriage? Interracial marriage? Bumming off to live in the words and not support your child born out of wedlock? Not arresting someone for growing much less selling kale?

All of these are statements both political and social - excepting maybe the kale - either tacitly or explicitly condoned or condemned by their author. The game wears its politics openly on its sleeve, it's sure as hell not subtle about it. So if you are going to say that other people are bringing politics into a game that was only 'meant' to be played, sure, go ahead - but it suggests to me that you are either uncritical in your media consumption, or not actually playing this game.

zoeevee likes this.
                        • zoeevee

zoeevee Zero Gravity Genie

Some people would rather bask in the title of victim than try and learn to be better.

• XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Really now, the person being called a racist over a misunderstanding is worse than the people nitpicking and putting words into people's mouths? You two are delusional. People have done this to me before and it comes very close to being harassment. Be careful about what you assume, things are not always what they seem to be when you break things apart to try and make sense of it. I took note of both of you guys saying that it came off as racist and that it didn't necessarily mean I was, that does not excuse the fact that you put words into my mouth however, it is not acceptable behavior.

• DukeOfRiven

If people keep 'harassing' you about saying racist things, maybe they aren't the problem?

No one here has put words in your mouth, merely quoted your own words back to you and asked for clarification you don't provide - if anything, your defences have made you look worse. Maybe- and I'm spitballing here - maybe they're not really as good defences as you seem to think they are.

Occam's Razor, XRiZUX. If you're constantly told you say racist things...

powerdemon likes this.
                              • zoeevee

I literally said multiple times that I don't think you're racist. The only one that keeps saying that is you. I said that I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth and that all I was doing was explaining how I interpreted your comments. I wanted you to correct me and explain your side of things. You ignored me each time I said that and I still don't know what you actually mean. I'm sorry you're so offended but all you have said in this thread since your initial post is how wrong we are and how horribly offensive we are for calling you racist and just how terrible it is for you to be so misunderstood and so harassed. You are ignoring most of what we are saying and picking and choosing things out of context. I guess this is just a fruitless circle we are going around in since you don't want to actually have a discussion you just want to be the victim. You'll probably take something I say here completely out of context and claim I'm still trying to harass you. Well good luck going through life like that. It's not how I would want to live my life but clearly it makes you happy.

• DukeOfRiven

People of colour is the correct term - calling someone 'coloured' is racially charged (the American South had signs saying 'coloured only,' and the historical use of the term is old enough that one of the main American organizations for anti-racism is the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

Which is, admittedly, slightly confusing, and may likely be switched-around to NAAPC one of these days.

powerdemon likes this.
                                  • zoeevee

I fully expect that nothing huge will be implemented in the foreseeable future because CA is so busy. But this is a suggestions thread and this is the place to discuss what we would like to see implemented some day. There's nothing wrong with asking for it now even if it doesn't get put in. ConcernedApe is an awesome developer regardless of what is or isn't added and I love this game no matter what. I hope new diverse characters get put in because it would be nice to see but I won't riot or stop playing the game if not.

powerdemon likes this.
                                    • powerdemon

powerdemon Void-Bound Voyager

Same.

• XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Alright, if you want a proper explanation of what I meant then I will make one... As a final attempt to explain myself as I've already tried to do that.

"mentality of feeling inferior because of skin color is a problem even in the real world..."

1. Alright, here I am not meaning to talk directly to him as a person, what I mean here without really making it clear is that it is also a problem in the real world, and while typing this part I am thinking it can be hard to make everyone pleased in this regard within the game world, that's basically all I'm trying to say with this part.

"If you add too many colored NPCs then someone else will complain that there is too much color, as an example"

2. What I mean here is that there could be too much of one race and someone would bring it up again that they are feeling uncomfortable, and I understand how this can look confusing because I tried to explain it with the word color instead of saying races. And I think this is where most of the confusion came from. I did not mean diversity at all though, I meant it could be too much of one specific race, but I didn't make that clear at all. Basically I am thinking that it can be hard to make it balanced in a game that wants to be original.

"I mean I think it would be cool with all colors of the world in the game, but overdoing it is also possible."

3. Basically the continuation of point 2, trying to make it more clear what I am meaning to say.

"So I say yeah it would be nice but it's not a good idea to focus too much on such a mentality."

4. Basically saying I think it would be nice to have black NPCs, but that I don't think it's a good idea to focus too much on adding NPCs for this specific reason. So I am more for this suggestion than against it. I just don't think it's good for the game if people keep wanting NPCs for this specific reason. So keep in mind I don't mean to say that I am against the suggestion. And I did not mean anything racist with what I said, so I hope it is more clear now.

izzy82 likes this.
                                        • Isegrimm

Isegrimm Void-Bound Voyager

Well it was just an example based on personal experiences, the area is (apart from the sea which i really wouldn´t mind having closer^^) a lot like my birthplace, in terms of big cities being further away, lush green valleys and smaller mountain sites.

The biggest difference apart from the sea being nearby is that the people are extraordinarily nice^^