Vector formats as usable sprites (no remaking of assets required!).

Discussion in 'Other' started by Markelius, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Ok, before you dismiss this idea based on the difficulty of implementation, hear me out.

All I am asking for is for the game to be able to read vector formats as sprites, not for any of the game's existing sprites to be remade. Acceptable formats could be .svg and maybe .eps, bonus points if .swf and .ai files worked too.

Why I'm asking for this is because many modders have shown interest for having higher res sprites on at least players, and using scalable vectors would solve this problem.

Using vector formats, myself and others could remake existing sprites and the sprites could end up looking something like this:
    [​IMG]

Of course the potential for vectorized art lies with the artists, so whatever you may see possible using vectored art will be possible ingame. Imagine an entire game populated with vector art like this, even at maximum zoom there would be no loss of detail, no pixelation.

Once more, I'm not asking for Chucklefish to remake all their spites as vectors, that would be up to modders. I am simply asking for the game to implement support for vector formats.

Thanks!