Upcoming combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Levy

Levy Phantasmal Quasar

APRIL FOOLS!

"Haha, you le reddit fools THOUGHT we were listening to you. Nope. Hahahaha"

2. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Good move,good move...

3. Kentprime

Kentprime Yeah, You!

01.04 Xa-xa очень смешно

4. hirakhos

hirakhos Phantasmal Quasar

If this is an april fools joke I'm uninstalling starbound. Directional spears.. can it be true?

5. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

All I can say is:

This pink would look much better against a black background. Contrast, you know.

6. Woothie

Woothie Master Chief

Still waiting for that script-related patch to go from Unstable to Stable. I want my Starfoundry energy systems! :D
    but you know you just take your time cause I can wait <3

Also dang, directional spears without modding the brains out of Starbound?! What sorcery is this

7. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Well well. It's April's fools, but I don't really care. So without delay prepare for the spam! (sorry in advance, long post)

Melee:

Melee is way to overpowered compared to energy weapons since you can spam your attacks forever and do tons of damage. Here are some suggestions for it.
    1: Either directional slashes or more variety for the different attacks.
    2: Attacking costs energy (you could make the amount required ridiculously low so modders and players could adjust this one as they please)
    3: Secondary attacks should have a different strike animation, not just an overpowered spammy effect. For example: Spear would have A: thrust and B: Sweep
    4: Holding the attack button will make some weapons unleash a power attack (with spammy effect). However, this one will drain much more energy and will be slower than regular attacks.
    5: You can chain combos (3 hits max). It's easy: attack1+attack2+power attack. Power attack during a combo will be faster than usual and drain less energy.
    6: The ability to use fist-like weapons or to punch enemies. Isn't it awesome to defeat a Dragon with your bare hands? Dragon Ball mod is already using something similar to this so you may want to check it.

Tech:
    1: I'd put some metroidvania awesomeness here. Slide, wall-kick, double jump, backdash/roll, lesser flight/triple jump/tackle, short teleport double jump+kick. You name it.
    2: Combat Techs. Some techs that improve your sword techniques and add some extra spice to your moves. Things like double slash, slam attack (which may break blocks below), jump+slam attack, wave slash (long range wave with low damage)

Energy guns:
    1: Ammo overhaul mod (that's nice enough for me)
    2: craftable ammo.
    3: The ability to recover energy/ammo faster by pressing a reload key.
    4: As an alternative, make some weapons need to reload every X shots.

Extra:
    1: The ability to disable perma-running so you must hit shift to run. (keep it optional for those avid runners)
    2: A variable that drains fatigue when you run. HOLD YOUR HORSES! It would not be a hardcore change since It would drain 0 fatigue. This would keep the old system but add the possibility of extra challenge for those who want to try.
    3: Death animations would be cool. Not something gory, of course, but something varied makes the game more fun. Not just the "poof! it's gone" we have now. For example: When you freeze to death it would be cool if you became some sort of snow sculpture like the special snowflake we always wanted to be, or just trapped into a giant ice block. Or your character lies down with a funny little soul around when you starve. I like the game's mood right now so I think death animations should be some sort of soft, somehow funny version of Metal Slug.
    4: The animation when you are freezing (the one we have now) should be used every time you get into a frozen planet. It's a cold place, so it's natural to breath like this. The screen slowly turning white is more than enough warning, the breathing should be left as a regular effect and the white screen of frozen death should remain as the: "Hey, you're freezing!" sign.
    5: Emotes and poses! Ok that's not really combat but it would be nice if when tiping "#Hi!" you could see your character waving his/her hand.

That's all. Happy April's fools and thanks for the hard work!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i would laugh so hard if tiy came in and sead apirl fools! :rofl:

9. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Everything this guy just said.
    I could probably add a few ideas on myself, but I think we need to get these ones noticed first.

10. FroggyFresh

FroggyFresh Void-Bound Voyager

And while you're at it I'd love to see better monster pathfinding, otherwise the game will probably get too easy.

Liktorn likes this.
  11. Ultra Strich

Ultra Strich Void-Bound Voyager

I like the new style. I hope it is not an April joke.

12. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is the new forum art an april joke, too?

13. Galdius

Galdius Subatomic Cosmonaut

You have to nerf race weapon ( that we can craft) they are more powerverfull than found one ^^

14. Rex Leon

Rex Leon Orbital Explorer

Love your new updates and i just would like to suggest adding an duel challenging system were you can challenge other players to a fight. it would be awesome for use when someone decides they wanna be captain or any other forms of decision.

15. envoy2D

envoy2D Scruffy Nerf-Herder

awesome. changes like this are HUGE

16. Woothie

Woothie Master Chief

Stable branch update, anyone?
    No? Just me?
    Okay.

17. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The new forum colors hurts my eyes.....

18. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

The thing I believe needs rebalance the most regarding the combat at this point of development is relative strength of different entities players face.

Currently, every monster of particular tier/sector is able to rather effortlessly cause considerable damage despite best possible armor available for said tier, at least for the first few sectors. At the same time, humanoids (as in, intelligent NPCs, humans, avians and so on) seem to be horribly underpowered by comparison. Clothed in high-tier armors and wielding typically sci-fi weapons, they usually stand no chance against native fauna. Little birdies projectile vomiting pure death and cleaning out military outposts, hi-tech bases personnel slaughtered by stray mix between pig and a lizard or villages, over a dozen of days losing considerable portions of population till there's nothing left - those are rather common, too common things.

I sincerely believe it should be completely the other way around. Animals are animals, and even tough animals at some point should pose some threat but be largely vulnerable to any higher-tech weapon. At the same time, defenders of the village, assault-rifle-totting soldiers and other such NPCs should actually be a big challenge - not just because of having high health values, but because of high damage and defense stats which would more sensibly befit their actual look. It's rather silly when randomly found, bent and rusty excuse for a sword seems to be enough to dispatch hordes of temple guards, when most of them carry machineguns. It would also balance the current rather bad situation with all kinds of event places which so far are basically loot groves with little to no challenge despite hostiles inside - since those are only minor annoyances.

I hope that 'special locations' will be a bit adjusted so better and more advanced onces will befit higher tiers/sectors, while on average guard NPCs will be stronger than wildlife on the same difficulty level. So when personnel of such locations, with it's all great equipment will fight - it will be truly a sight to see.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    sleepy123 likes this.
  19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

20. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

I wasn't crazy about hearing that swing timing will have to be more precise, but if monster speeds are reduced maybe that will make up for it. Some of those buggers are waaay too fast.
    I look forward to a lot more combat improvements and variety in the future, as it does seem like an area that could use some work. I like the idea mentioned above of monsters eventually having their own attack animations. It might be difficult to implement because of the massive variety, but it might also be worth it.
    I wouldn't mind some unlockable attack moves at some point in the future, just so we have more options in combat.