1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Morsus98

Morsus98 Industrial Terraformer

Since it's initial release the game's progression has pretty much ruined it for me. Terraria nailed it by mixing things up with the dungeon, bosses, hunting enemies for materials, etc. but Starbound kept feeling like an ore grind. From what I've played of the Winter Update it's the same.

teilnehmer and Pingeh like this.
  2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

That's funny, because i distintively remember fighting bosses, going through dungeons, and mining on different enironments for unique materials.. The only thing i haven't seen yet is a need for common mob drops.

3. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

The difference is: you weren't forced as much as you are now. As a builder, I had everything I needed in the Gamma sector, because drills/pick axes didn't break and I only needed one diamond drill which I had to repair sometimes. As a builder I have to finish ALL matter manipulator thingies first, before I get the best version. Getting all these ores - aegisalt, rubium, violium, uranium - wasn't that important first. For someone with a sandbox approach like me, Starbound has become much more grindy when you don't want to cheat.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    Fleshdancer and Morsus98 like this.
  4. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

In my humble opinion Terraria has as much ore grinding as Starbound.

But the difference is that its possible to skip stages in Terraria (but not recommended unless you know what your doing) while in Starbound its not at all possible to skip anything.

Personally i like mining, but at the same time i wouldent mind if there were other alternatives for explores and such that hate mining (as long as mining yourself is more effective, since working on something yourself should allways be more effective then (for example) delegating it to a npc).

(I know that explorers could technicaly just keep looting chests and hope they will get all their ore's. But its too unreliable).

A possible solution for explorers would be just making finding ores in chests more reliable depending on the planet your exploring (for that difficulty planets you have a rather high chance of finding some of that difficulty ore, etc). But it would still force you to mine until you have the ship working unless they rework the begining of the game.

Builders and farmers (planned to be viable progression paths later) should be able to delegate it to a npc or something similiar, but it should be a slow process that can run while they farm/build, there should also be possible complications (in my humble opinion).

5. Morsus98

The difference is that in Terraria it never felt like you were grinding for the ore. You got it (at least I did) while doing pretty much whatever you wanted. It allowed you to play the game how you want. For example, the bosses drop the ore in Terraria, but in Starbound you fight the bosses to unlock new places to look for ore. In Starbound, obtaining ore is something you do consciously, but in Terraria it happens naturally.

Aeon and Pingeh like this.
  6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Or you tell yourself that

7. Morsus98

In Terraria I never had to go looking for ore. In Starbound I do. If you don't believe me fine, but that has been my experience with Starbound so far.

Pingeh likes this.
  8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

My memories of spending over 3 hours trying to find mythril would like to have a word with you

Lintton and SleepySquidd like this.
  9. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Morsus is right. You MUST, actively seek out ore in Starbound. In Terraria, you found enough ore while searching out chests, biomes, ect..

Edit- and by farming mobs, getting mats, ect. Right now, there is no farming....

Pingeh and Morsus98 like this.
  10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You have to actively seek most of the later ores in Terraria too. Don't liie

Lintton likes this.
  11. yclatious

yclatious Guest

U wot.

U fockin wot.

From grinding gold armor, wich was acomplete bitch in the previous updates, to Mithrill, wich was bloody impossibke to even make a set of armour in one world, and dont even think of making weapons with it, along with the bland cave design, uuurgh.

Yeah, no.Both games, ya look for ore, it doesent poof itself into existence.Lest you literaly have RNGesus on leash, and even then, its bull.

Cmon dude.

Lintton and Darklight like this.
  12. Morsus98

My memory of getting tons of demonite ore from bosses would like a word with you. So would finding a meteor strike and tons of ore sitting on the surface. Plus, the amount of hardmode ore in a world is controlled by how many demon alters you have smashed, so after I smashed over a dozen there was hardmode ore all over in my world.

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

that is ONE ore. ONE. out of how many. Seriously stop making up shit. Both games have grinding. Don't even get started on teh fact that you always had to make the next tier of mining gear to be able to mine the next tier ore. WHich meant if you found any or other than mythril to get start you were COMPLETELY FUCKED. Combine that wiht that fact that you had to mine ONE BLOCK AT A TIME. Yeah no Terraria is just as bad if not worse than Starbound in the mining department. In fact starbound has the advantage due to the radius of the matter manipulator.

14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Meteors are still mandated by RNG, and I only got one in about 3 playthroughs after harmode.

Smashed, literaly, over 20 altars ina world, still coudnt even make a Mythril armor set.Only helmet and pants.

Both are grindy games, aint saying they aint, but Terraria is way more sinfull.Especialy the RNG based progression of items.

15. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

The only ores I had to farm, was clorophite (spell?) and after farming for turtle shells for days on end, I had more than enough.... so no, Terraria had a better mining balance.

Oh, and I never made gold armor past my first couple chars, nor mithral, ever. And as mentioned above, there was a way to increase the ore count, by alter smashing.

So again, there was more than just mining that was done underground, (souls, shells, rare drops, ect) - Starbound has NONE of that... just ores and sometimes chests. No rare monster drops, no mats for crafting... nothing.

Beatrice and Morsus98 like this.
  16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Boy you must not have been there when biome keys were introduced. HOURS UPON HOURS UPON HOURS OF KILLING AND KILLING AND NO DROP. SO no. You are just lying to yourself. Terraria was sinful of grinding just as much

17. yclatious

yclatious Guest

More even.

1 in 4000 chance for a key?To open what was the most advanced weapon?

Ridiculous.

18. Morsus98

The difference is that ore is much more plentiful, and I went through three hardmode ores in less than an hour. Sorry it took you so long to find something as plentiful as mithril, but in Starbound you spend much more time finding ore and progressing through tiers.

19. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Not really because see in Starbound you know what planet will have the ore you need

20. yclatious

yclatious Guest

[​IMG]
    No.

In a single planet, in less than, what, 1 and a half hour, I can have as much Solarium as ill ever need, more Aegisalt than I can do with, with 3 hours, I got about 200 units of Violium and Rubidium, even though I wasnt actualy mining for it, got over 5k fuel in a moon in less than a hour, etc.

Even though waht I say was in a older version of Terraria, its still just as grindy, be it in mining, or just overall progression.

Bishop Blitz and Darklight like this.