Modding Help Understanding tiled and how it can be applied to starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by jaymee_murder, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey guys, there are tutorials out there for tiled, but not specifically for Starbound (that i know of) and I'm finding myself, and i should think plenty of other noob modders, daunted by this, for instance if you want to build a ship, how do you make the outside of the ship? because that looks like its just one big sprite and not blocks, so I'm guessing it needs a tileset, but do you make that in tiled or in another program like photoshop. I'm just wondering if there's anyone on here who has a good amount of experience with making ships and dungeons etc with tiled that can really go into detail on here as to what the process is of creating these things well and efficiently for noobs.

I personally am currently making a race mod and i'm okay making the sprites and stuff, cos i have experience with art and stuff in general, but in terms of the technical part, i'm really just learning as i go along, through any tutorials i can find and trial and error, sometimes you can reach a bit of a wall and it slows you down a bit, but i'm really enjoying it. Although I'm still mostly doing the clothes for character creation and a have a few more things to do for that, i have also messed around with a custom ship AI, crafting materials in game, a flag and have a strong idea of what i want to do for most aspects of the race, including sketching stuff like armor and the ship out, but I would like to have a good understanding of tiled for the ship and any settlements moving ahead, so i know what i'm doing and what can be done.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated by myself and i should think plenty of other amateur modders and I'm guessing there aren't that many people with a good amount of experience with this, but any help would be appreciated.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut