1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy question for community: Ideas for weapon mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NewLiar, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh Chucklefish, just when I think you can't do anything even better, you just keep surprising me again... :D

I've seen a lot of good mods here. I only have one more idea left that's not already stated here:
    • Guard mod: Hold the attack button will place the sword in a guarding position, successfully blocking an attack exactly like a shield would. To balance this effect, maybe the mod could allow you to block attacks WITHOUT charging the white meter-thingy that also boosts your damage the more consicutive times you block, or possibly allow you to only block a percentage of damage instead of 100% of damage dealt to you.
    This mod seems fair to me. Indeed you are granted a blocking option without using a shield, but you already "lose" a weapon slot to equip a close-range weapon, which already puts you in danger for you to use. This mod idea shouldn't be available for guns for obvious reasons though.

2. Klengo

Klengo Void-Bound Voyager

Who said the mods had to have positive effects?

Vocal - Weapon occasionally speaks, berating you for your failures, pointing out the obvious and making crude jokes about your mother. May attract the attention of enemies.

Bully - The weapon's presence frightens off weaker creatures, while inviting stronger ones you wallop you.

Blood thirsty - Chance on kill the weapon will provide the character with the "Blood Drunk" buff. Providing a 25% damage buff coupled with a 20% chance to miss outright.
    • Alternate (negative) Affects
      • Blurs the screen.
      • Reverses Control scheme.
      • Spatters the screen with blood

Unreliable - When striking an enemy the weapon has a small chance of dealing only half-damage, plus an even smaller chance of inflicting none at all.

Cumbersome - Slightly slowed movement speed.

WoxandWarf, Keeper and LoftyAnchor like this.
  3. Walross

Walross Pangalactic Porcupine

Ooh, got another. "Oiler" coats the enemy in oil, making them take double damage from fire and lasers.

4. purywury

purywury Void-Bound Voyager

Hey Devs,

Despite having already a ton of great ideas in this thread (Kudos to this community :cookie:) I thought it would be a nice touch in game mechanics where u switch to Melee to get a certain advantage in future Ranged attacks for a while or for a fixed amount of shots.
    For example:
    1) A melee wep with the "projectile steal" affix: Switching to melee and striking foes has a certain chance of regenerating a portion of your ranged ammo (as in the enemies drop theirs)
    2) A melee wep that will Buff your Ranged Crit Chance % and/or Ranged Crit Damage % when hitting an enemy with close combat melee.
    3) A melee wep that keeps you and your foe at a fixed distance on strike. This will allow you to "safely" finish off your opponent from a safer distance.

tl;dr : Melee = Better Ranged

5. Oh, wow. Hopefully this will make up for the melee weapon's close range :p

6. slaticus

slaticus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hate to play the devil's advocate...wait no I don't. How is this useful against automatic weapons?

7. purywury

Yeh! Melee is a fun combat way with the right mechanics!

nababoo likes this.
  8. slaticus

So, sort of like Zer0 in BL2? There is a skill that makes it better.

9. Risk mod: Sword does 20-30% more damage than it otherwise would, with a 5-10% chance of it doing 0 damage per every swing/shot.

10. purywury

took a while to look it up, but indeed that's the idea :up:

11. hirakhos

hirakhos Phantasmal Quasar

Extendo sword.

12. LoftyAnchor

LoftyAnchor Pangalactic Porcupine

People may have mentioned these before, please excuse me if so.

-Chance to reverse the enemy's movement controls. If used on an NPC, the NPC would.. run around like a drunk.
    -Actually, how about a mod that makes your opponent drunk? Blurs other people's screens.
    -Temporarily make the opponent's movements slippery, they'd slide around like they're on ice.
    -A 'Dice' buff. Each time you hit someone, one of six effects would activate. 6 could do double damage, while 1 could do 50% to yourself and your opponent, other things would have positives/negatives as well.
    -% chance to temporarily increase the hitbox/size of your weapon. Stack-able, but only to a certain extent to prevent abuse.
    -Based off of Lucaine's idea of deflecting projectiles: A high % chance to obtain the projectile when you hit it, like your melee weapon is sticky or something.
    -% chance to immediately launch you a few spaces up in the air after hitting an enemy. Useful if we can do jump attacks, although it'd surprise the user. Fun.

-Instead of just being a % chance of an effect activating on hit, the % could increase over time each time you hit a person. Example:
    Normally, I have a 5% chance to confuse someone on hit. I hit them once, the % rises to 10%. I hit them again, 15%. I end up confusing them the next hit, and the % chance resets back to 5%.

13. That'd be interesting in tandem with a shield.

"FATALITY"

14. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

Polymorph: Applies a "Morphing" debuff enemies struck by the weapon. Stacks and lasts 10 seconds. Two handed weapons apply two stacks. Upon reaching 20 stacks, the enemy is polymorphed into a penguin (Every individual weapon always polymorphs the target into the same penguin. However, which penguin they are polymorphed into is randomly decided when the weapon is generated), preventing them from attacking for up to 5 seconds. This also clears the stacks of "Morphing" they've acquired. While they are polymorphed, they cannot gain stacks of "Morphing," and they wander around aimlessly, unable to do anything. If they take damage equal to 10% of their health (Or 50% of the player's health, whatever is lower), the effect is canceled. Doesn't work on bosses.

LoftyAnchor likes this.
  15. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

A few prefix ideas.

For All Weapon Types
    Light
    For melee: +% Size (Tiny), +% Melee Speed (Medium), +% Run Speed (Medium), -% Damage (Tiny)
    For Ranged: +% Run Speed (Medium), -% Damage (Tiny)
    Extra-Light
    For melee: +% Size (Small), +% Melee Speed (Large), +% Run Speed (Large), -% Damage (Small)
    For Ranged: +% Run Speed (Large), -% Damage (Small)
    Dense
    For Melee: -% Melee Speed (Tiny), +% Damage (Medium), +% Critical Rate (Small)
    For Range: -% Run Speed (Tiny), +% Fire Rate (Small), +% Damage (Medium)
    Super-Dense
    For Melee: -% Size (Tiny), -% Melee Speed (Small), +% Damage (High), +% Critical Rate (Medium)
    For Range: -% Run Speed (Small), +% Fire Rate (Med), +% Damage (High)
    Melee Only
    Hard: +% Damage (Small), +% Critical Chance (Small), -1 Defense (or other tiny variable)
    Ultra-Hard: +% Damage (Medium), +% Critical Chance (High), -3 Defense (or other small variable)
    Flexible: -% Damage (Tiny), +% Critical Chance (Small), +# Defense (Small)
    Whiplike: -% Damage (Tiny), +% Critical Chance (High), +# Defense (Medium)
    Ranged Only
    Liquid: +% Fire Rate (Medium), -% Damage (Tiny), +% Accuracy (Small)
    Frozen: +% Fire Rate (High), -% Damage (Small), +% Accuracy (Medium)
    Accurized: +% Damage (Tiny), +% Critical Chance (Small), +% Accuracy (Medium), -% Fire Rate (Small)
    Sniper's: +% Damage (Small), +% Critical Chance (Medium), +% Accuracy (High), -% Fire Rate (Medium)

Gotta have some basic modifiers to this :D

16. Swarm - Your melee strikes have a chance of summoning a horde of flying insects that will torment your opponent from 5 to 10 seconds. During this time, your foe will be under the effect of two debuffs - accuracy rate is reduced (ranged attacks are innacurate - should a player be under this effect, the cursor would not stand still) and armour points are decreased by half.

Pestilence - Your successful melee hits have a chance of infecting your opponent with a rotting disease. A target under the effect of this rotting disease will lose health over time (every 2 seconds, from 5 to 10 seconds overall) and has a 50% chance every time he/she/it is damaged by the debuff to spread the infection to another nearby enemy, which will suffer the same conditions.

Soultaker - Killing blows have a chance of recharging 25% of both your current health and energy points.

Laggard - Your melee hits have a chance of decreasing your opponent's movement speed, jump height and attack speed by 30% from 5 to 10 seconds.

Space Anomaly - Your melee hits have a chance of teleporting your target to a random planet.

Haha, I'm joking on the last one. :p

nababoo likes this.
  17. Maybe a weapon could have a chance at putting your enemy to sleep! :zzz:
    Or, maybe it would let you capture it easier. Lots of great ideas in this thread. :up:

18. slaticus

Loving Soultaker and Space Anomaly. Those would bother be cool mods.

19. What do you mean, that's the best one!

Keeper and slaticus like this.
  20. slaticus

I know right?!?!?!

Keeper and nababoo like this.