1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy question for community: Ideas for weapon mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NewLiar, Dec 11, 2012.

1. slaticus

slaticus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That sounds fantastic, but I think you would run into some obscenely powerful weapons doing that. And where do you draw the line for parts for other weapons? A sword is fairly easy, as you said, the hilt, the blade, and the guard.

But, what about a pistol? Do we say the barrel, the revolver, and the magazine. Or do we add a trigger? How about the stock?

2. Cellbind

Cellbind Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not entirely sure what that is, could you enlighten me?

3. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

This is just an idea. Everything would have to be ironed out in-game.

The mag, the sight, and... Not really sure. The magazine could change bullet type and magazine size, the sights change accuracy, range, add a lock-on feature, or even allow you to see enemies in the dark when looking in their direction (like scanning for heat or a heart beat). Then there could be a random attachment. A rapid fire mod, that allows the pistol to be fully automatic, a laser sight for further accuracy, a silencer that won't alert enemies (up to a certain distance), a larger barrel that allows you to shoot bigger bullets (thus upgrading damage), a custom-fit grip that decreases kick... You could upgrade a revolver to take shotgun shells, thus turning it into a hand-held handcannon :DD
    With a three-attachment rule, you could really make some unique weaponry.

4. I like this suggestion. Just have to make sure it's balanced overall. :)

5. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

what about reflector armor, like shield can cause splitting lights between the enemy's laser or bullet a small chance reflect back to be "backfired" I mean its fiction logic.

6. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

Weapon mods, like weapons themselves, would be procedurally generated. Using the fire blade example again, let's say that this mod deals 10 damage every second for 5 seconds. This mod, however, deals 5 damage every second for 15 seconds. Then, since it's on fire, it lights up the area around it. The first mod has a greater radius of light, while the second mod only has 3/4 of the first mod's radius.
    The fire that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast.
    With the shield guard, mod 1 prevents 75% of damage with a block, but takes a second to block (which is a large amount of time when in a split-second decision fight). Mod 2 only prevents 35% of the damage, but it is prepared instantly.
    Should I put down some hilt stats too? I have this all plotted out in my head quite well.

7. wizzard

wizzard Aquatic Astronaut

How about pre-fixes?
    Balanced Handle: Faster Swingspeed
    Polished blade: More Damage

And a new de-buff idea:
    Piercing Strike: Sets the opponent's defense points to 0 (low chance or it would be OP)
    Silence: makes the enemy unable to perform special abillities/tricks.

8. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

Instead of a debuff, it could be a blade mod: Narrow blade. Pierces 10 points of enemy armor (so if an enemy is armored, it's like using AP rounds, except with a sword.)

9. Why don't you create a topic in the Suggestions Section about your idea? :)

10. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

Well the thing is, this is the weapon mod thread, right? Why would I post my own thread when I'm posting in one now?

11. Well, it seems to me that this topic is more focused on ideas for melee weapons mods, while your idea strikes me as a suggestion in how to have the modifiers function - by splitting the weapons into several parts, each that can be modified, instead of having the whole thing be enhanced.

It was just a suggestion. There's no need to create a thread if you don't want to. :alien:

pitfall likes this.
  12. Vespers

Vespers Pangalactic Porcupine

I want to be able to change the sound effects of a weapon... Now that would be an interesting weapon modification.

13. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

Mianso likes this.
  14. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

Instantly I think of those sound effect badges from Paper Mario. o: But that should be like, a different mod "slot" than the actual useful mods though. That way you can have effectiveness and pretty sounds.

15. Spidey

Spidey Void-Bound Voyager

Double Down: When dual wielding the attack doubles,but when single wield the attack is cut in a half.
    Quote:"sorry for my bad english."

16. Dr scoobie

Dr scoobie Giant Laser Beams

a shield that repels projectiles.
    so that bullets/arrows curve slightly away from you
    to reduce the chance of being hit.

or a shield that makes projectiles move in slow motion when in close proximity to you.

17. Baradrim

Baradrim Big Damn Hero

This hasn't been in the list, and it may be in the suggestions, but...
    there should be a mod for melees that deals more damage, but gives half the damage to you when you miss.
    Sort of like boston basher from TF2

18. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

fixed that for ya.

19. Neatski

Neatski Phantasmal Quasar

A mod where if you hit someone, there's a % chance they turn into an animal for a short time. While they're an animal, they can't attack but can run away.

EDIT: Thought of a good prefix, it would be Odd.

20. RikSharp

RikSharp Pangalactic Porcupine